Adding Men's soccer and women's field hockey, M and W Hockey

crazzymark

It would help ISU's move up if some of these sports could be added. Due to Prop 9 , sports departments have to take a loss in revenue, Men's soccer would be a good draw and the soccer complex start making money with 2 teams playing on it. Same dimensions and no need for a different pitch. And LaCrosse or women's field hockey could play at Handcock . Men and Women's Hockey would help the arena Downtown Bloomington and get added community support.

chuckie1980

I think would be great additions, too.

The men's hockey club is extremely organized. I see and connect with alot of their activities via facebook.

Birdfan 4Life

U of I is trying to add Hockey over in Champaign...believe I read they were partnering with people within the Blackhawks for help.

All sports would be nice to add, however, the cost associated with such moves probably needs some major donor funding that we are unlikely to have for the Scholarships.

TIMMY

crazzymark said:
It would help ISU's move up if some of these sports could be added. Due to Prop 9 , sports departments have to take a loss in revenue, Men's soccer would be a good draw and the soccer complex start making money with 2 teams playing on it. Same dimensions and no need for a different pitch. And LaCrosse or women's field hockey could play at Handcock . Men and Women's Hockey would help the arena Downtown Bloomington and get added community support.

Not bad Mark. I would go LaCrosse over field hockey and wrestling over soccer but this would be the first step toward getting into a real conference. I'm sure the Lyons leadership will get this done. :roll:

JHBird

I would love if they added Men's soccer. I didn't go to school here, but I think they once had a team, and then it became a casualty to Prop 9. I played at a different school, and they dropped the men's program and added a female one, etc.

jbird

There is a reason these are called non-revenue sports. I don't see how the diversion of already too limited Athletic Department funds away from the needs of the football and basketball programs can help us move up the ladder.

Hamdonger

JHBird said:
I would love if they added Men's soccer. I didn't go to school here, but I think they once had a team, and then it became a casualty to Prop 9. I played at a different school, and they dropped the men's program and added a female one, etc.

It was a casualty to Prop 9. And...when it was taken down, they were borderline nationally-ranked. Serious mood killer, at the time, in the athletic dept, to the point of tears. 1992 or 1993, I believe.

Hamdonger

Humdinger said:
JHBird said:

It was a casualty to Prop 9. And...when it was taken down, they were borderline nationally-ranked. Serious mood killer, at the time, in the athletic dept, to the point of tears. Believe it was 1992 or 1993.

ChiRedbirdfan

jbird said:
There is a reason these are called non-revenue sports. I don't see how the diversion of already too limited Athletic Department funds away from the needs of the football and basketball programs can help us move up the ladder.

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: All over this post. ISU already spends more than other combined MVC/MVFC members and needs to get a streamline and aggressive athletic program. Key to moving up is to have solid football and men's basketball programs and respectable core other programs. There are many conferences where members do not have every possible athletic team that their conference offers. I believe ISU should eliminate as many programs as possible to remain NCAA Div 1 and Title 9 compliant and spend those funds on football/men's basketball. SIU is eliminating tennis and looking at reducing expenses for other sports due to their enrollment problems. ISU should do a proactive review of their athletic department expenses and make cuts.

crazzymark

Birdfan 4Life said:
U of I is trying to add Hockey over in Champaign...believe I read they were partnering with people within the Blackhawks for help.

All sports would be nice to add, however, the cost associated with such moves probably needs some major donor funding that we are unlikely to have for the Scholarships.

Could partner with the pro hockey franchise would be a natural.

crazzymark

jbird said:

ISU is one of the full athletic programs in the MVC that doesnt have mens soccer. Most AAC, MAC and CUSA have all those programs already.

crazzymark

ChiRedbirdfan said:
jbird said:

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: All over this post. ISU already spends more than other needed to combined MVC/MVFC members and needs to get a streamline and aggressive athletic program. Key to moving up is to have solid football and men's basketball programs and respectable core other programs. There are many conferences where members do not have every possible athletic team that their conference offers. I believe ISU should eliminate as many programs as possible to remain NCAA Div 1 and Title 9 compliant and spend those funds on football/men's basketball. SIU is eliminating tennis and looking at reducing expenses for other sports due to their enrollment problems. ISU should do a proactive review of their athletic department expenses and make cuts.

For the program to move to the AAC, CUSA or MAC. ISU needs to show the commitment needed to be considered a FBS program. I think ISU fb, women's BB , Soccer , softball and VB play at that level now..that being said, that level of competition would force ISU to keep DM and would keep players for the reason for a better chance to make the dance, as well as the baseball, track and field and added sports.

Virginia Redbird

From just a personal point of view, I would love to see ISU add Men's Hockey and Men's Soccer. I love both sports. I know with Title 9 considerations and budget concerns this will likely not happen. Money needs to be put into Basketball and Football to keep up with the Jones'. The indoor practice facility needs to be built. Much more to do but it would be nice to see the sports program expanded.
At U of I they should add the Hockey team and drop the football...they really don't play football anyway...could not resist.

Birdfan 4Life

I'm also sure Bradley wishes we would add Men's Soccer because that's about the only sport they could beat us in consistently during the start up period. I love watching Men's Soccer, it's popularity like Lacrosse is only going to increase as Football keeps getting beat up over concussions.

JHBird

Birdfan 4Life said:
I'm also sure Bradley wishes we would add Men's Soccer because that's about the only sport they could beat us in consistently during the start up period. I love watching Men's Soccer, it's popularity like Lacrosse is only going to increase as Football keeps getting beat up over concussions.
:text-+1:

I agree. Bradley should also add women's soccer as well, so we could crush them in that.

Top Bottom