ACC proposing 72 team field

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23531225/acc-propose-expanding-ncaa-tournament-four-teams-72?sf189798024=1

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Other interesting proposals:
Swofford also said the league will propose specific rules changes, including widening the lane, resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound and moving the 3-point line back.

Jsnhbe1Birds

SOunds like a way to get 4 extra 8th place P6 teams. If it means at least 2 extra mid majors I'm all for it.

DWRedbird

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
SOunds like a way to get 4 extra 8th place P6 teams. If it means at least 2 extra mid majors I'm all for it.

I agree that this just kind of sounds like a way to get more crappy P6 teams in the tourney. I'd rather have rules for getting an at large thnlan an expansion of any kind.

As to the others, I don't understand the reasoning behind widening the lane, but the other options aren't terrible

Redbirdwarrior

ACC just wants to make sure that Boston College can still get in with a 6 win ACC slate. As well know, the conference gets paid on games played by teams in that conference. If they pushed this through and found, in the next year, that those 4 extra spots were filled by true "bubble" teams in the MVC, AAC, WAC or other conferences instead of RPI 100+ P6 teams, they would either be advocating to go back to 68 teams or expanding out to 96.

Loyola and UMBC really punched the P6 in the mouth last year, though. I am interested to see how it plays out over the next 3 years or so.

Jsnhbe1Birds

You're right about UMBC and that game has 100% to do with this proposal. Virginia is an ACC team and this proposal makes all 16 seeds play in the first four and being fatigued and ill prepared for the 1-16 matchup.

Adunk33

Staff member
A conference champion should never have to play in the first four games. After all, there is only one guaranteed way to get in to the tournament.

Top Bottom