? about a former player from the 70's

fdbird83

In the most recent Alumni magazine, in the class notes section, there was an entry from Joseph Washington from the class of 79. It say's he played men's basketball at ISU;
was the first Redbird to be drafted to the NBA; played for the Miami Dolphins and Atlanta Falcons.

I have a few men's basketball media guides from the mid to late 70's and I don't see that name anywhere. Anyone have any recollection of him?

Metamoron

??? First to be drafted to NBA? Must have been before Doug Collins. Then says played for 2 NFL teams.

Was it an April Fools Day edition?

fdbird83

Metamoron said:
??? First to be drafted to NBA? Must have been before Doug Collins. Then says played for 2 NFL teams.

Was it an April Fools Day edition?

His name doesn't show as a basketball letter winner either.

bombay

There was a Joe "Rock" Washington on the football team. I think he was a QB. Not a big guy - less than 6' tall.

About 5 years ago Fred Points told me he's a high school principal in Chicago. Very tough guy.

fdbird83

bombay said:
There was a Joe "Rock" Washington on the football team. I think he was a QB. Not a big guy - less than 6' tall.

About 5 years ago Fred Points told me he's a high school principal in Chicago. Very tough guy.

The Alumni magazine says he lives in Chicago, but it doesn't say what he is doing now.

bombay

Maybe the same guy. If he played basketball he was a walk-on.

bombay

I can't link to it from my phone, but he's on pro football reference as a Falcon. Nine games, 20 returns, 450 yards. Maybe he was ISUs first NFL draft pick? I'm guessing he came back to school and finished after giving the NFL a shot

I heard there was a Joe Washington who played for Atlanta. In this thread.

TIMMY

bombay said:
I can't link to it from my phone, but he's on pro football reference as a Falcon. Nine games, 20 returns, 450 yards. Maybe he was ISUs first NFL draft pick? I'm guessing he came back to school and finished after giving the NFL a shot
Estus Hood, Calvin Harper and Dennis Nelson would have been drafted years ahead of him

bombay

TIMMY said:
bombay said:
Estus Hood, Calvin Harper and Dennis Nelson would have been drafted years ahead of him

First, Washington wasn't drafted. He played for Atlanta in 1973, though, and I was just trying to establish who he was. I don't think Calvin was drafted either, although he should have been. But he wasn't available in 1973. I would love to see where those other guys were drafted. I'm not sure they were.

Redbird222

Here are ISU players drafted in NFL. Dennis Nelson was the first Redbird drafted in the NFL.

https://www.footballdb.com/draft/college.html?c=Illinois+State

bombay

Redbird222 said:
Estus Hood 3rd round pick Packers 1978

Hooray!!

Once again, someone wanted to know who Joe Washington was. That's the only question I was trying to answer.

bombay

I'm very sorry for attempting to answer the original posters question.

Redbird222

Looks like there was a Joe Washington that played for Falcons in 1973 that went to ISU ... running back.

bombay

Redbird222 said:
Looks like there was a Joe Washington that played for Falcons in 1973 that went to ISU ... running back.

Shocking new information.

Bird Friend

I think he went on to be drafted by the Mets, but he was using the name Syd Finch at that time.

Top Bottom