AAC and C USA looking for Chicago market school.

crazzymark

Spoke with a sports beat writer friend of mine, he told me that his sources said that these two conferences are looking for a school from Illinois to join. An invitation was supposedly was given to Illinois State and apparently they declined. Both conferences wanted Illinois State but they're willing to wait for Chicago State to get the program up and running and pushing for the Cougars to play home games at Soldiers Field. (Like USF does at the Tampa Bay Bucs home field)
With 5 MVFC schools negotiating with FBS conferences, it seemed a logical choice for Illinois State to accept the invitation which wouldn't take effect for two more years. With that being said, I hope either or both conferences come knocking on ISU's door again in the near future.

CaliRdBrd

Spoke with a sports beat writer friend of mine, he told me that his sources said that these two conferences are looking for a school from Illinois to join. An invitation was supposedly was given to Illinois State and apparently they declined. Both conferences wanted Illinois State but they're willing to wait for Chicago State to get the program up and running and pushing for the Cougars to play home games at Soldiers Field. (Like USF does at the Tampa Bay Bucs home field)
With 5 MVFC schools negotiating with FBS conferences, it seemed a logical choice for Illinois State to accept the invitation which wouldn't take effect for two more years. With that being said, I hope either or both conferences come knocking on ISU's door again in the near future.
Where are we gonna get the $5 million required to make the jump to FBS??

Manchester Matt

Chicago State would be better off playing their games at Gately. Have you ever seen how few people attend CSU basketball games?

TBS_20

Not surprised about CUSA. We should decline that. I highly doubt the AAC offered. ISU would have to prove themselves in the Sun Belt first I would imagine.

However, if the AAC comes calling I'm 100% positive they would find $5-million somehow. No way ISU declines $7-million per year.

CaliRdBrd

Hang on…I think I’m starting to understand Crazy’s agenda.
Come up with the rumor that Chicago State is contemplating a move to the AAC in order to create a false sense of urgency within ISU’s AD.
Kind of like the Bears using the threat of moving to Naperville to get a better deal out of Arlington Heights.
Quite brilliant, actually.

MadBird

Come up with the rumor that Chicago State is contemplating a move to the AAC in order to create a false sense of urgency within ISU’s AD.
Kind of like the Bears using the threat of moving to Naperville to get a better deal out of Arlington Heights.
Except one problem - no one is listening to crazy, especially the AD.

fdbird83

Speaking of the Bears moving, what is the latest on that.

fourthandshort

Is it just me, or is this marks best written post ever ?

Quinn ... did you finally add the spell and grammar and crazzy check software I requested years ago ??

Bird Friend

Crazzy might also want to remember that CSU doesn't have football . . . so how long are they gonna wait for CSU to get the program up and running?? 'Cuz that'll take years to put something together to become even remotely competitive . . . with D3 schools.

Redbird222

Crazzy might also want to remember that CSU doesn't have football . . . so how long are they gonna wait for CSU to get the program up and running?? 'Cuz that'll take years to put something together to become even remotely competitive . . . with D3 schools.

This is from CSU website September of 2023

"CSU has established an initial goal of $4 million to support sports expansion, with an emphasis on women's athletics. If approved by the Board, CSU football could begin as early as fall 2025 and would be the only Division I football program on Chicago's South Side."

I don't see how an initial $4mm gets you football and other initiatives. They said they were targeting FCS in the article.

There is some more information in this SI article including they want to add football to increase enrollment.

Top Bottom