A Slow, Painful Death

TreRoberson4Heisman

This team might have been the most TOP HEAVY and BOTTOM HEAVY. Had so much potential but nothing came together. Find a team with a few NBA prospects of MY and FF (mini Chris Bosh) and then pick dingleberries.

Evans came into the season out of shape.

Tinsley couldn’t play a defensive rotation to save his life if he was sitting in a bathtub with his wrists bleeding out.

Dan Muller has got to have accountability for his recruits. Hein or Tinsley couldn’t sniff a jockstrap on a fraternity intramural team vs. the math club.

Seven

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
Tinsley couldn’t play a defensive rotation to save his life if he was sitting in a bathtub with his wrists bleeding out.

Seek help.

Hamdonger

It would be interesting to get a few sentence answer, from everyone here, on what the deal was with ISU this season.

I believe this was (not everyone but from a collective perspective) an emotionally immature team. Couldn't handle adversity. Bred a lack of confidence. Talent not the issue. Ultimately it all lands on Dan.

DWRedbird

Humdinger said:
It would be interesting to get a few sentence answer, from everyone here, on what the deal was with ISU this season.

I believe this was (not everyone but from a collective perspective) an emotionally immature team. Couldn't handle adversity. Bred a lack of confidence. Talent not the issue. Ultimately it all lands on Dan.

I would agree. I think this team has ultimately been one of the most volatile teams I've ever watched. The smallest thing could turn a 20pt lead into a 10pt deficit in a heartbeat. I think from a confidence standpoint this was the first time I've ever seen multiple players collapse on themselves. I think it does fall on Dan's shoulders and I think he needs to do better, both for us and for him. He needs to figure out what identity he wants to build a team around, and until he does that, we'll likely always be the same mediocre team.

ISU FAN 1

DWRedbird said:
Humdinger said:

I would agree. I think this team has ultimately been one of the most volatile teams I've ever watched. The smallest thing could turn a 20pt lead into a 10pt deficit in a heartbeat. I think from a confidence standpoint this was the first time I've ever seen multiple players collapse on themselves. I think it does fall on Dan's shoulders and I think he needs to do better, both for us and for him. He needs to figure out what identity he wants to build a team around, and until he does that, we'll likely always be the same mediocre team.

7 years and still need to figure a team identity? If true, that he still hasn’t identified what his program is going to hang its hat on, that’s unacceptable.

topiarydan

Dan has been quoted serveral times this team does not listen. As a parent, I'm pretty good about adjusting my kids to get in line with the program. It's widely known MY was a troubled kid who may have caused some distractions that prevented the Seniors from coming together. We really had no marquee wins this year - we lost to a fair Georgia team, San Diego State and Ole Miss owed us, etc. I think Taylor's injury didnt help because the kid hustles and has a nice shot. I'll miss Fayne but it is what it is. Maybe we need to go into a season like Drake did where no one expected anything and they came together. While I think a chance is in order i think DM stays but next year it's going to be very telling on whether Dan can really coach a team to get to the finish line.

DannyCooksey

Dan is a nice guy. He’s better as an assistant. He’s not a HC. At least not a good one.

He hasn’t improved. He’s regressed and he’s been handsomely rewarded for it.

grons

This was the first season in YEARS that I had a total lack of interest. I enjoyed watching less talented teams from years past and just never vibed with this team. I felt like it was one step forward and two steps back the entire season. I still ended up watching 10-15 games, but I can barely remember a game this entire year that I was excited to watch before tip (besides the first game of the year)

I usually look forward to those mid-week games and schedule whole nights around them, not this year. This team had some players I really, really liked. Phil Fayne is a true competitor and class act. I wish him nothing but the best and think he will make a nice living playing overseas and might even get a cup of coffee in the G-league. With his work ethic, he could even go beyond that, I would not be surprised.

MY is a different story, supremely talented but incredibly frustrating to watch sometimes. Body language and attitude were just not up to par for me. If you're the "dominant" player on a team, i'm going to need more than stats out of you. I don't want to take anything away from him and his personal accomplishments, because he is a great basketball player. I guess I just had such high hopes after hearing he was coming back, but it was quickly apparent that he was not going to carry this team on his back to a championship.

Evans...I remember watching him drain like (7) 3's in Florida State Chamionship game on Youtube and I hyped him to everyone who would listen, he showed such great promise but was disappointing this year. I don't know if it was his injuries or he just lost confidence, who knows. All in all, I am a redbird fan, so I am an internal optimist despite being continually let down, year in and year out. This year will quickly be forgotten and I will begin making kool-aid for next year come spring/summer. Just the way it goes. We will get there, but we need a complete overhaul in attitude and chemistry.

One last thing....I hate to say it but I have lost confidence in Dan. It's not due to effort, knowledge, or passion. You can tell he cares so deeply about this and wants to win and I give him props for some of the amazing memories he's brought me over the years. However, I think he needs to take a step back and recreate himself. I have never been a fan of yelling at a player after your team goes on a 7-0 run, it just feels forced and sucks the momentum and positivity out of the player/team. I think slightly adjusting the intensity in ALL aspects (coaching, workouts, practices) could actually have a major net positive effect. I could be wrong, but it's just my two cents. It seems like players are getting burnt out and we just need to get back to basics. Have fun and play basketball, be more positive and loosen up a bit. Just my two cents, there is always more to the story then meets the eye. Until next year...

91Bird

Watching Bradley play vs Loyola, Nate Kennell is lighting it up from 3 again. As much as our offense seems to like shooting the 3, we could really use a player like him who is a pure shooter. Screw the 'combo guards' who can't shoot or run the offense well.

redbirds2000

ISU FAN 1 said:
DWRedbird said:
Humdinger said:

7 years and still need to figure a team identity? If true, that he still hasn’t identified what his program is going to hang its hat on, that’s unacceptable.
Pretty sure his exact quote was..."We'll run a winning system."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ISU FAN 1

redbirds2000 said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
DWRedbird said:

Pretty sure his exact quote was..."We'll run a winning system."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Over .500 every year. Mission accomplished, I guess.

cubird

With early injuries last year's team overachieved..this year was under. Gotta get a true point and some guys that can beat their man off the dribble.That leaves Taylor alone at the 3 point line.

Rollbirds5

Could use a Cooper Kaifes from Loyola, or someone like that who can actually be a consistent three point shooter

JHBird

Humdinger said:

I think Evans falling off was the biggest factor. If he could've played like last year we would have been near the top. I still don't think we would've won it all, but we wouldn't have been the 7th seed. We just had no outside shooting at all with him firing up blanks. Of course other players like Copeland didn't really rise to the challenge, but I expected Keyshawn to be at least a 2nd Team All MVC. He seemed like he had something to prove going into this year. Personally I don't question his attitude or work ethic, something else must've happened. Maybe the injury at the beginning of the year threw off his mechanics, I don't know. It's a mystery to me.

DWRedbird

JHBird said:
Humdinger said:

I think Evans falling off was the biggest factor. If he could've played like last year we would have been near the top. I still don't think we would've won it all, but we wouldn't have been the 7th seed. We just had no outside shooting at all with him firing up blanks. Of course other players like Copeland didn't really rise to the challenge, but I expected Keyshawn to be at least a 2nd Team All MVC. He seemed like he had something to prove going into this year. Personally I don't question his attitude or work ethic, something else must've happened. Maybe the injury at the beginning of the year threw off his mechanics, I don't know. It's a mystery to me.

It wasn't even just that Key's shooting fell off. His passing was way off, his offensive decision making was questionable at times and he regressed defensively as well. And I think he was so down on himself/in his own head at the end of the year, that for the first time in his career at ISU I watched him give up completely on plays towards the end. I don't know whether that was on on him being in his head, because of team related factors bringing him down, or something else entirely, but at a certain point in the year he looked mentally done with the season. That was a huge contributing factor for our downfall too.

CaliRdBrd

I feel like we’re going to be Thursday team next season, and likely the season after as well. I really see nothing but “hope” in the cabinet.
I don’t recall ever being this pessimisitict about the direction of our program.
Sad.

TIMMY

One thing I'll never have to see again. MY making a shot and bouncing down the floor with his arms straight down like he's Michael hitting the shot over Ehlo. Thank you God!

There's a formula at our level. It's we not me. Loyola wrote the book last year. Our seniors watched it. Got beat by it. And learned nothing from it. Immature as hell. MTXE we ain't.

I'm hopeful the guys at both ends of the bench have learned a few things this year. I think there's some talent coming back. But if they don't play D and continue jacking up bad 3's they're doomed to repeat the mess that this year turned into.

Redbirds4Life

CaliRdBrd said:
I feel like we’re going to be Thursday team next season, and likely the season after as well. I really see nothing but “hope” in the cabinet.
I don’t recall ever being this pessimisitict about the direction of our program.
Sad.

:text-+1: