8 Points was the difference between 10-1 and another Spack Special 6-5

RollBirds2002

The schedule was SUPER advantageous this year. Some real disappointing stuff from Spack at the helm this season between his timeout management in the YSU game and inability or lack of priority when it comes to recruiting a decent kicker. I see mid tier Valley team kickers boot it 40+ regularly and here the Birds are wishing they could nail 30 yarders or frigging PATs.

Whether he's back next season or not, I don't really care anymore.

MadBird

The schedule was SUPER advantageous this year. Some real disappointing stuff from Spack at the helm this season between his timeout management in the YSU game and inability or lack of priority when it comes to recruiting a decent kicker. I see mid tier Valley team kickers boot it 40+ regularly and here the Birds are wishing they could nail 30 yarders or frigging PATs.

Whether he's back next season or not, I don't really care anymore.
I feel your pain - BUT Wagner was a very highly regarded HS kicker, was recruited by Power 5 schools. Look it up. He was a very good recruit coming in. He had the stress fracture in his leg too, that can't be helping things at this point. Now, should there be a competent backup available, yeah, you'd think so. But we have a transfer from Nebraska and a transfer from Elon as backups. So, I can't say what the problem is. KIcker not kicking up to potential? Kicker injured? Backups not competent? Bad special teams coaching? I don't know.

crazzymark

the Sun Belt Conference might be a good option for Illinois state

RollBirds2002

I feel your pain - BUT Wagner was a very highly regarded HS kicker, was recruited by Power 5 schools. Look it up. He was a very good recruit coming in. He had the stress fracture in his leg too, that can't be helping things at this point. Now, should there be a competent backup available, yeah, you'd think so. But we have a transfer from Nebraska and a transfer from Elon as backups. So, I can't say what the problem is. KIcker not kicking up to potential? Kicker injured? Backups not competent? Bad special teams coaching? I don't know.
I did totally forget about how the kicking game was noticably better last season with Wagner.

Your points are totally valid about Wagner out of high school, but after the fracture last season was there no contingency planning in recruitment? A broken leg (either one) is like a football career death sentence for a kicker, didn't Spack think about that? There are 4 kickers on the roster, is the guy with the broken leg that has been shaky since week 2 really the best option? 😕

I dunno, honestly I'm just venting because the 8 points being such a huge difference is really stuck in my craw and the kicker is the most obvious punching bag this season. Hope the kid can bounce back next season.

I'm still over Spack, I stand by that part 😂

MadBird

I did totally forget about how the kicking game was noticably better last season with Wagner.

Your points are totally valid about Wagner out of high school, but after the fracture last season was there no contingency planning in recruitment? A broken leg (either one) is like a football career death sentence for a kicker, didn't Spack think about that? There are 4 kickers on the roster, is the guy with the broken leg that has been shaky since week 2 really the best option? 😕

I dunno, honestly I'm just venting because the 8 points being such a huge difference is really stuck in my craw and the kicker is the most obvious punching bag this season. Hope the kid can bounce back next season.

I'm still over Spack, I stand by that part 😂
Well, I don't know the "details", only what I read here and in the papers - but yes, Spack DID think about the broken leg and brought in a transfer from Power 5 Nebraska, Jasek. And also transfer from Elon. So, did they do enough? Were they "afraid" to go to the bench when they should have? who knows.

I'm not really defending Spack, will probably expound on this at a later date, but you know, Spack isn't the kicker. The kicker has to do his thing, what he's "paid" to do. Spack takes the heat, but the players are the ones that miss the kicks, the blocks, the catches, the tackles, etc.

TBS_20

the Sun Belt Conference might be a good option for Illinois state
But, you told us just a month ago were definitely in the AAC if we want. Why now maybe the Sun Belt? Take your meds. You started 46 threads today

Last edited:

Hamdonger

Whatever issues...they need to be figured out. Spack has had little to no confidence in kicking game for last several years and it has severely cost us. The ripple effect of a poor kicking game impacts EVERYTHING...and nobody to blame but Brock, imo. Damn I want to see Brock go out on a high note, but bleepin bleeper...get this figured out, man!!

I just put up a post in the game thread talking about the same thing...without seeing this one first. Wasn't trying to steal this thunder.

Hamdonger

Well, I don't know the "details", only what I read here and in the papers - but yes, Spack DID think about the broken leg and brought in a transfer from Power 5 Nebraska, Jasek. And also transfer from Elon. So, did they do enough? Were they "afraid" to go to the bench when they should have? who knows.

I'm not really defending Spack, will probably expound on this at a later date, but you know, Spack isn't the kicker. The kicker has to do his thing, what he's "paid" to do. Spack takes the heat, but the players are the ones that miss the kicks, the blocks, the catches, the tackles, etc.
Only 3 attempts beyond 40 yards ALL YEAR.

ISUBird

I'm pretty sure I called us going 6-5.

Spack gets his last 2 years and then hopefully retires.

crazzymark

Well the banner being put up till next season .not worth.putting up for MMB.😂🤣

Attachments

• 17004050402231437187154738498783.jpg
    17004050402231437187154738498783.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16

Total Red

Staff member
I'm pretty sure I called us going 6-5.

Spack gets his last 2 years and then hopefully retires.
You'll need to locate that predication to get credit. We had a thread "Season Predictions" and it's not in there. Several predictions came in at 8-3 and 7-4. One came in at 5-6.
Strangely not a single person had 6-5.

ChiRedbirdfan

The kicker is getting some deserved heat but as many have stated as well … he is not the only one to blame for the poor kicking game. Poor snaps, sloppy overall kicking team play and questionable use/timing of when we do kick (including punts too) has been a multi-season let down. I feel this team shows, at times and too often, it is a sloppy coached team which is most easily evident in kicking plays which are easily measured as successful or failure plays (unlike many other football plays).

This 2023 football team underachieved and was let down by the coaches . The coaches should be held accountable to ISU, the players and fans at some point IMO strong opinion. Madbird … who should be accountable for missing the playoffs this years as well as only 1 back door playoff in 7 years? I use the term back door as my memory recalls we were heavily on the bubble that year and fortunately made it. With hindsight I feel like this team had more than enough talent and favorable schedule to make the playoffs yet here we are.

MadBird

The kicker is getting some deserved heat but as many have stated as well … he is not the only one to blame for the poor kicking game. Poor snaps, sloppy overall kicking team play and questionable use/timing of when we do kick (including punts too) has been a multi-season let down. I feel this team shows, at times and too often, it is a sloppy coached team which is most easily evident in kicking plays which are easily measured as successful or failure plays (unlike many other football plays).

This 2023 football team underachieved and was let down by the coaches . The coaches should be held accountable to ISU, the players and fans at some point IMO strong opinion. Madbird … who should be accountable for missing the playoffs this years as well as only 1 back door playoff in 7 years? I use the term back door as my memory recalls we were heavily on the bubble that year and fortunately made it. With hindsight I feel like this team had more than enough talent and favorable schedule to make the playoffs yet here we are.
Actually, I wasn't really trying to dog the kicker, I was responding to a comment that said there was a "lack of priority" in recruiting a kicker. I was pointing out that Wagner was very highly regarded, and the backup was a transfer from power 5 Nebraska. So you could make the case that there WAS a priority in recruiting for the kicking game. That was my only point.

As for the big picture, sure, the buck stops at the HC's desk. He brings in the coaches and the players and so forth. I haven't made up my mind yet how big a problem we have. I'll figure it out at some point,

Who should be accountable? Spack didn't drop any balls this year, or miss any tackles, or let receivers get behind him. Hard to know where to point the finger. For me. I know for a lot of folks, not so hard.

ISUBird

You'll need to locate that predication to get credit. We had a thread "Season Predictions" and it's not in there. Several predictions came in at 8-3 and 7-4. One came in at 5-6.
Strangely not a single person had 6-5.

No, it wouldn't have been in a prediction thread. It was more of a sardonic comment(s) when I said it.

I found it. It was just after the EIU game anyway.

Last edited:

DaveBird10

Idk who the answer is for kicker. I have heard that freshman Hayden Futch ive heard is good but I do know bc he didn't kick this year. As for Jasek the Nebraska transfer, he was the place kicker who missed a 37 and a 40 yard field goal at EIU. After that Jasek never got another chance all year,

fourthandshort

No, it wouldn't have been in a prediction thread. It was more of a sardonic comment(s) when I said it.

I found it. It was just after the EIU game anyway.

sure, but at that point, it doesn't count .. right ? Reacting to a bad game 3 ?

And what if you knew/believed EIU would finish 8-3 and be the first team out .. that is, #25 .. would you have said same thing ?

Now I don't happen to believe EIU is a #25, but outsiders do .. I would put them closer to 30th.

Last edited: