5 fouls...

gobirds85

This might been rehashed in another thread so I apologize if so. 5 fouls all game?!?!!! Can anyone remember a game in which one team had only 5 fouls called on them? Loyola had 3 starters with 0, nada, zilch, 0.00, zero, 1-1=0 collectively.

I am not going to say that is the reason why we lost but it sure contributed. Pollard and Higgins, the valley could not have assigned a worse pair.

DannyCooksey

Loyola is #3 in the country for fewest fouls against. If you play defense correctly.....

gobirds85

DannyCooksey said:
Loyola is #3 in the country for fewest fouls against. If you play defense correctly.....

But 5? Not buying it.

DannyCooksey

gobirds85 said:
DannyCooksey said:

But 5? Not buying it.

I agree that's a low number but I don't think we did much to challenge them. Lots of stagnant offense and jump shots. We did little to force them to foul us.

We were very easy to guard today.

Hamdonger

Not picking on officials, but it did make me laugh.
https://twitter.com/Pg_Benson/status/970369081202405376?s=20

ISU FAN 1

On the P5 stage, reputation contributes mightily to how teams are officiated. Press Virginia gets by with murder because of the reputation they have built for defense. Not sure if that played a role today, or if Loyola has even built that kind of defensive equity, but 5 fouls is as few as I remember a team getting.

gobirds85

DannyCooksey said:

But 5 fouls?!? I’m not buying it.

bb fan

I think in LUC's case, they just don't foul much. They don't reach and grab. There were some they got away with, but it had nothing to do with today's outcome IMHO.

It brings us something that I have been thinking about for awhile, now. Have you noticed we don't play the foul game like just about every other D1 team? Especially just about every one in the Valley. We rarely act like we are taking charges. Heck, a legit charge is committed against us, but because we didn't crash hard onthe floor, no call. We don't go flying to the floor and screens. Not even a little bit. For many other teams, this has become an artform. And they get some calls. It seems more and more each hear, especially this year whistles with NO contact. We get burnt on this a couple of times a game, just the way the player acts.

I have wondered, is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Look, I like that fact the HCDM doesn't want to play these games, He wants the players focused on making plays and not acting, but it seems like it ends up being a few points of the opponent. Every game.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Stop drinking the kool-aid. If you only get 5 fouls you're getting help from the refs. if you watched the game you could see they had double that amount.

bb fan said:
I think in LUC's case, they just don't foul much. They don't reach and grab. There were some they got away with, but it had nothing to do with today's outcome IMHO.

It brings us something that I have been thinking about for awhile, now. Have you noticed we don't play the foul game like just about every other D1 team? Especially just about every one in the Valley. We rarely act like we are taking charges. Heck, a legit charge is committed against us, but because we didn't crash hard onthe floor, no call. We don't go flying to the floor and screens. Not even a little bit. For many other teams, this has become an artform. And they get some calls. It seems more and more each hear, especially this year whistles with NO contact. We get burnt on this a couple of times a game, just the way the player acts.

I have wondered, is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Look, I like that fact the HCDM doesn't want to play these games, He wants the players focused on making plays and not acting, but it seems like it ends up being a few points of the opponent. Every game.

There were several times yesterday when I was yelling at Fayne for not hitting the floor when a dude twice his size was absolutely manhandling him. Think he definitely could have drawn a few charges if he had.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
They had less than 10 fouls in 3 of the last 4 games they played, had 20 team fouls in a game once...in the first game of the season. They never hit 20 in a game again.

Meanwhile, their opponents had 20 fouls 8 times and less than 10 fouls only twice.

Quit blaming the refs. ISU played like poop and deserved to lose.

gobirds85

isuquinndog said:
They had less than 10 fouls in 3 of the last 4 games they played, had 20 team fouls in a game once...in the first game of the season. They never hit 20 in a game again.

Meanwhile, their opponents had 20 fouls 8 times and less than 10 fouls only twice.

Not blaming the refs, although these two clowns have had it in for us for quite some time, but if you do not think that 5 fouls did not factor into the game result then you are blind. Sorry, Loyola is no Virginia when it comes to great defense. I watched the game with two basketball coaches and both could not believe some of the "no calls" on Loyola. Maybe if we get some of those calls our guys would have been more prone to driving, but when you have no confidence that you can get a call Key and Milik might think twice about taking it to the rack. Reason we lost was multifaceted...no calls, bad shot selection, poor coaching, no in game adjustments, etc, etc, etc...

ISU FAN 1

gobirds85 said:
isuquinndog said:

Not blaming the refs, although these two clowns have had it in for us for quite some time, but if you do not think that 5 fouls did not factor into the game result then you are blind. Sorry, Loyola is no Virginia when it comes to great defense. I watched the game with two basketball coaches and both could not believe some of the "no calls" on Loyola. Maybe if we get some of those calls our guys would have been more prone to driving, but when you have no confidence that you can get a call Key and Milik might think twice about taking it to the rack. Reason we lost was multifaceted...no calls, bad shot selection, poor coaching, no in game adjustments, etc, etc, etc...
If those "two clowns" have it in for ISU, we are screwed. We're probably gonna see at least one of them every MVC title game until they retire.

Hrtnfldhse

Loyola played their best game of the tourney on Sunday and we played our worst. Several fouls missed on Loyola and a couple of head scratchers were called on us. The fouls contributed but the way we were playing was the main reason we lost. Loyola played like shit Friday and should have lost that day. If Bradley didn't go scoreless for the last 3+ minutes then Loyola has a chance to lose that game too. It was sad a very competitive tournament ended with such a thud on Sunday. 1 part officials and 2 parts our play.

MJ_Durk

When Yarbrough got that 2nd foul the score was only 20-18. We had the momentum at that point, and after he sat down it became a completely different game. Yes we did play like crap and Loyola played great ball, but you cannot say that the refs played no factor into that game.

DannyCooksey

MJ_Durk said:
When Yarbrough got that 2nd foul the score was only 20-18. We had the momentum at that point, and after he sat down it became a completely different game. Yes we did play like crap and Loyola played great ball, but you cannot say that the refs played no factor into that game.

I agree. That was a big call. But it was the right call IMO. MY got beat to the spot and bumped him. MY, like a lot of his teammates, needs to learn to defend without fouling.

Hrtnfldhse

isuquinndog said:

watch the Loyola guy that got fouled on the 3 pointer in front of our bench. Not sure if Tinsley hit his arm or not but the player goes down like his feet were taken out from under him. Seeing it live, it didn't look like a foul, watching today, it was a flop...

ISU FAN 1

DannyCooksey said:
MJ_Durk said:

I agree. That was a big call. But it was the right call IMO. MY got beat to the spot and bumped him. MY, like a lot of his teammates, needs to learn to defend without fouling.

I think Yarbs played textbook defense when they called him for #2. What else could he do other than what he did, unless he chose a complete matador defense and just let him have a free run at the rim.

Now his first foul was just stupid. He had position to get to a loose ball, and pushed off anyway. Didn't need to do that, and put himself in the position to get burned by the bad call on #2.

Top Bottom