#21 Illinois State at #19 YSU

cpacmel

1pm espn3

Homecoming at the Ice Castle. Huge game for both teams.
YSU is rumored to have some injuries and have lost 3 in a row, by a combined 11 points, including a 3 point OT loss to #2 Bison.
Last year Penguins came into Normal and won 20-6.

Illinois State + 11.5
Over / under 38.5

MadBird

cpacmel said:
1pm espn3

Homecoming at the Ice Castle. Huge game for both teams.
YSU is rumored to have some injuries and have lost 3 in a row, by a combined 11 points, including a 3 point OT loss to #2 Bison.
Last year Penguins came into Normal and won 20-6.

Illinois State + 11.5
Over / under 38.5

There was some discussion last week whether Spack could jack the team up after the two losses, and I guess we don't know for sure but they did win. Now, for the "bulletin board", we come in 5-2 taking on a 3-4 team and they are favored and ranked higher than the Birds. Works in Spack's favor, you'd think.

YSU Homecoming, injuries, and I'm guessing no one can chew quite like Pelini, he looks like a bulldog!

Interesting match up, normally I wouldn't like our chances at the Ice Castle, but I'm hoping we've turned the corner.

fourthandshort

i would put some weight on Dontae McCoy's little pre-game pep talk, along with rest of coaching staff .. fresh face and voice, especially very credible former player. Our defense was so back on track from the first drive. Reminder, USD comes out very fast and aggressive, and were killing teams Q1 and 1st half, then coasting or letting opponent back in game 2nd half. We dominated Q1, slipped Q2, then cam right back and controlled 2nd half.

Bottle that sh-t and bring it every game .. worth another look and listen:

https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/921891587185168384

StLRedbird

Incredibly, Youngstown has allowed 22 sacks in their last three games. They lost their #1 QB (Hunter Wells) in the second game of the season. Their #2 QB (Nathan Mays) went down under the barrage of sacks the past few games, so their #3 (Ricky Davis) finished the UNI game.

Pelini converted Davis to a WR last spring because he was unlikely to see time as the third stringer. There is a report on the Penguin board that both Wells and Mays are practicing this week, but it doesn't sound like anyone there expects either of them to start.

UNI limited Youngstown to 47 yds rushing last week. This might just be a game that we can go into the Ice Palace and win. I think the short summary is two stout defenses playing two offenses with significant issues.

Redbirds 16
Flightless Birds 13

Birdswin

Just saw the Redbird Football semi-trailer heading North on Main and onto I-55 - going to Youngstown!!!!!

Chi-bird

This game is going to be an old-school defensive struggle. YSU has a very good defense. Their D-line is very talented and they are very, very physical.

I really don't see us moving the ball on them much, but I think our defense comes to play, too.

That said, the 'guins have their backs against the wall and I can't see the losing 4 straight.

YSU - 17
ISU - 13

fourthandshort

Chi-bird said:
This game is going to be an old-school defensive struggle. YSU has a very good defense. Their D-line is very talented and they are very, very physical.

I really don't see us moving the ball on them much, but I think our defense comes to play, too.

That said, the 'guins have their backs against the wall and I can't see the losing 4 straight.

YSU - 17
ISU - 13

agree but flip your score. YSU Offense us banged up ,, their OL may be in more trouble than ours. They didn't start with losing 4.5 starters, and then have 2 of our top 3 guys injured or playing injured all year long. In other words .. no pity for their OL situation compared to ours. But their stud RB and QB are also banged up.

Hard to know how rain will affect our pass game .. but really hope we got Gibbs back to take pressure off Schnell, because YSU can still play defense.

So agree with probable low scoring game, but I just don't see us losing .. we also have one of the top place kickers in country .. that could prove to be difference.

Chi-bird

I'm guessing there will be a much smaller crowd than usual due to the weather, the way the Penguins have been playing, and the fact that Ohio State is hosting Penn State at the same time. Maybe this will be a emotional let down for the home team.

Birdswin

If we throw quick passes - be very, very leery of those along the ling of scrimmage and quick outs - those turn into Pick 6s rather easily if the defense is not expecting or playing anyone to go down field.

fourthandshort

Weather forecast for 2pm EST kickoff in Youngstown is 43 degrees, 7-8 mph West winds , 50% chance of rain .. rain conditions should improve a bit 2nd half.

Same as it's been all week in Normal .. let's do this right again .. come out with chip on our shoulders like we id against USD. As a road team, nothing feels better than silencing a homecoming crowd.

1pm CST kickoff on ESPN3

link from here:

http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3175898/illinois-state-vs-youngstown-state-football

fourthandshort

just horrible connect on stats page .. robinson 14 yards on 1st carry, 6 yards on 2nd carry

chuckie1980

What's the score? ...gawd...I never seem to prepare for Tech Difficulties in situations like this.
Go REDBIRDS