2022 State Farm Holiday Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adunk33

Staff member
I figured I'd make a one-stop-shop to provide updates on recruits and prospective recruits I see in this tournament.

Commit, Ty Pence Class of '23.: St. Joe dog walked Annawan on D1 of the tournament, as expected for the 1 v 16 match up. Ty did not start due to being late to a practice but came in after the first whistle and made his presence known. St. Joe was down 5-0 when he entered the game. The Spartans went on to 24-0 run to close the door quickly. Ty scored 36 points, unofficially going 13-21, including 5 made threes and a few athletic dunks. He missed a couple dunks due to starting his jump from a step too far away. He was the best player on the court and it wasn't close so I won't put too much stock in this game.

Prospective Recruit, Zack Hawkinson Class of '23- Kid is a baller for Springfield Sacred Heart-Griffin and D1 interest is picking up. Interesting about SSHG. Last year, they won the Small School Boys bracket of The Classic and went on to beat Metamora in the 3A State Title game. This year? They are the 1 seed in the Large School Boys bracket of The Classic. I'll probably see them in the semi finals on Thursday

Normal Community:
Recruit Braylon Roman, Class of '24
Recruit Jaheem Webber, Class of '24
NCHS lost to Bradley Bourbonnais. I was not at the game but got updates that the team had every chance to win but couldn't finish down the stretch. I'll be seeing them today at 2.

Recruit Cole Certa, Class of 24: Central Catholic won. I wasn't at the game but plan on checking them out tonight.

Recruit Zavier Fitch, Class of '24: Chicago Brother Rice is the 2 seed and handled Oswego. Hope to see them on Thursday.

Recruit Kobe Walker, Class of '25: NCHS, I'll see him play today.

Recruit Jonah Funk, Class of '25: I missed the first quarter of the game but El Paso-Gridley played a tight one with East Dubuque until they pulled away in the last few minutes. Jonah is a LONG 6'8 and plays like he just grew 8 inches over night. He's not comfortable in his body and would need to put on a lot of weight or some weight and develop and outside shot if he wants to be a legit D1 recruit. East Dub did not have a player over 6'2 and he could've had a field day. Only a sophomore, very high ceiling. He is a starter and will play a lot of ball over the next 2.5 years.

Prospective Recruit Micah Meiss, Class of '25. Pedon and Co need to take a good look at this kid out of El Paso-Gridley. If they are recruiting Funk, you better believe they'll have eyes on him as well. He's the coach's kid and started since he was a freshman. I was impressed with him last year at the classic when he and EPG took down Ty Pence's St. Joe squad. He's around 6'4 and a shifty, physical guard who the offense ran through. He's a guy that won't get a ton of looks early because of where he plays but he's going D1. Get in on him early.

EPG plays St. Joe at 4 this afternoon. EPG tripled Ty last year and tried to make the rest of St. Joe beat them. The strategy worked for the Titians as they went on to lose to SSHG in the Ship.

DaveBird10

I was at the NCHS game last night and was disappointed with how they finished. Bradley Bourbonnais missed front end of a 1 and 1 on 3 straight trips and NCHS couldn't get a defensive rebound, then a 6'9 Sophomore for Bradley Bourbonnais missed 2 free throws, Jaheem rebounded it got fouled with a chance to tie the game and he missed the front of a 1 and 1. At that moment luck for NCHS had kind of run out because Bradley Bourbonnais finally made 2 free throws to seal the game.
Hope to see Ty and St. Joe play EPG later on today.

Redbird3298

I figured I'd make a one-stop-shop to provide updates on recruits and prospective recruits I see in this tournament.

Commit, Ty Pence Class of '23.: St. Joe dog walked Annawan on D1 of the tournament, as expected for the 1 v 16 match up. Ty did not start due to being late to a practice but came in after the first whistle and made his presence known. St. Joe was down 5-0 when he entered the game. The Spartans went on to 24-0 run to close the door quickly. Ty scored 36 points, unofficially going 13-21, including 5 made threes and a few athletic dunks. He missed a couple dunks due to starting his jump from a step too far away. He was the best player on the court and it wasn't close so I won't put too much stock in this game.

Prospective Recruit, Zack Hawkinson Class of '23- Kid is a baller for Springfield Sacred Heart-Griffin and D1 interest is picking up. Interesting about SSHG. Last year, they won the Small School Boys bracket of The Classic and went on to beat Metamora in the 3A State Title game. This year? They are the 1 seed in the Large School Boys bracket of The Classic. I'll probably see them in the semi finals on Thursday

Normal Community:
Recruit Braylon Roman, Class of '24
Recruit Jaheem Webber, Class of '24
NCHS lost to Bradley Bourbonnais. I was not at the game but got updates that the team had every chance to win but couldn't finish down the stretch. I'll be seeing them today at 2.

Recruit Cole Certa, Class of 24: Central Catholic won. I wasn't at the game but plan on checking them out tonight.

Recruit Zavier Fitch, Class of '24: Chicago Brother Rice is the 2 seed and handled Oswego. Hope to see them on Thursday.

Recruit Kobe Walker, Class of '25: NCHS, I'll see him play today.

Recruit Jonah Funk, Class of '25: I missed the first quarter of the game but El Paso-Gridley played a tight one with East Dubuque until they pulled away in the last few minutes. Jonah is a LONG 6'8 and plays like he just grew 8 inches over night. He's not comfortable in his body and would need to put on a lot of weight or some weight and develop and outside shot if he wants to be a legit D1 recruit. East Dub did not have a player over 6'2 and he could've had a field day. Only a sophomore, very high ceiling. He is a starter and will play a lot of ball over the next 2.5 years.

Prospective Recruit Micah Meiss, Class of '25. Pedon and Co need to take a good look at this kid out of El Paso-Gridley. If they are recruiting Funk, you better believe they'll have eyes on him as well. He's the coach's kid and started since he was a freshman. I was impressed with him last year at the classic when he and EPG took down Ty Pence's St. Joe squad. He's around 6'4 and a shifty, physical guard who the offense ran through. He's a guy that won't get a ton of looks early because of where he plays but he's going D1. Get in on him early.

EPG plays St. Joe at 4 this afternoon. EPG tripled Ty last year and tried to make the rest of St. Joe beat them. The strategy worked for the Titians as they went on to lose to SSHG in the Ship.
I watched cole and the NCHS players last night.

Cole didn’t impress me too much seemed to have an off night but you can definitely tell he is lethal shooter and scorer. Even having an off night I believe he still scored 20+. The other team did there best to limit his outside game and forced cole to attack the rim, had some good finishes and drew a lot of fouls.

For the NCHS guys, Webber played some solid D and rebounded decent. Until the last min. where NCHS couldn’t grab 3 or 4 straight free throw misses when they were down 2. Webbers guy got most of the rebounds too. But he played great on defense without fouling definitely could use that out of a big right now. Offensively needs some work has no go to move or outside shot.

Braylon had a rough game I believe he was injured at the beginning of the season. Looks like he is still trying to figure out his role and get his game back.

Kobe is a very interesting big and looks longer than Webber. Has decent touch for a big guy if he can develop his body and keep developing an offense I can see him being better than Webber.

Adunk33

Staff member
Thanks for sharing updates from games I wasn't able to make! I am certainly not the end-all be-all for this stuff welcome the eyes and opinions from those who get a chance to check out the squads.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Any one see Pedon or any other assistants at any of the games? I know they are in Chicago tonight, but an assistant could have stayed behind yesterday.

Redbird3298

Any one see Pedon or any other assistants at any of the games? I know they are in Chicago tonight, but an assistant could have stayed behind yesterday.
I didn’t see anyone, someone told me Illinois head coach Brad underwood was at Certa’s game last night.

normalbird

I watched cole and the NCHS players last night.

Cole didn’t impress me too much seemed to have an off night but you can definitely tell he is lethal shooter and scorer. Even having an off night I believe he still scored 20+. The other team did there best to limit his outside game and forced cole to attack the rim, had some good finishes and drew a lot of fouls.

For the NCHS guys, Webber played some solid D and rebounded decent. Until the last min. where NCHS couldn’t grab 3 or 4 straight free throw misses when they were down 2. Webbers guy got most of the rebounds too. But he played great on defense without fouling definitely could use that out of a big right now. Offensively needs some work has no go to move or outside shot.

Braylon had a rough game I believe he was injured at the beginning of the season. Looks like he is still trying to figure out his role and get his game back.

Kobe is a very interesting big and looks longer than Webber. Has decent touch for a big guy if he can develop his body and keep developing an offense I can see him being better than Webber.
If you think McChesney is a string bean, you should see Funk. Lots of time for him to lose his awkwardness and find some bulk and strength.

No doubt Pence is good, clearly the best on the floor. Hard to say how that translates to Doug Collins Court. He has nice pivot moves in either direction plus a smooth if not quick release on his 3.

Adunk33

Staff member
I didn't end up seeing Certa last night but it sounded like he quite the game, ending with 47. I'll see him play tonight vs Uhigh.

Yesterday, I watched the first half of the NCHS game and then scooted across town to watch El Paso-Gridley vs St. Joe.

For NCHS, the team they played was really, and I mean really, bad. Coach Witzig used his entire bench in the first half. I left at halftime and Iron led 37-15 with unofficially 5 pts for Roman, 12 for Webber and 9 for Walker. North Chicago couldn’t hang with the size of NCHS. Roman had probably the best dunk I've seen live at a high school game, which I posted over on the recruiting thread. He got t'd up for taunting and sat for a while after. I went over and caught their game today but didn't keep stats as I was chatting with some folks around me. NCHS pulled away in the second half of what was a pretty entertaining first half.

Roman is a very calm and collected player. He knows what he's good at and doesn't try to do too much. I really like his ability to be the aggressor and get to the basket. He needs to get stronger so he can convert some more of those but he is quick off the dribble.

Webber displayed some post moves today and was the biggest kid out there. After seeing him play a game and a half, I would say his biggest area of improvement needed would be physicality on defense. He needs to box out with more of a purpose and go up stronger, with both hands, for rebounds. There's no reason he shouldn't be a double-double guy every game. There were times where he got beat off the dribble but his recovery was really good and timing to block the shot from behind, without fouling, was very nice.

Walker is a very interesting player. Listed at 6'6 (though I don't think he's that much off from Webber who is listed at 6'8) he's a body that has a very high ceiling. He positions himself well in the post and finishes through contact. He's pretty far along for a sophomore and I look forward to how he develops.

Ty was an absolute beast yesterday. He struggled in the first half with the length of Noah Funk (listed at 6'8 but his reach has to be 7 foot). He had 9 points in the first half and his team trailed by 4. He came into the second half on a mission. His 3 ball wasn't falling today so he took to the paint, getting to the basket and free throw line. He had 21 second half points, to end with 30 and a 20pt win for his team. He outscored EPG 21-10 in the second half. What I loved to see yesterday was the midgame adjustment he made. 3 ball not going down? Let me get to the basket and help my squad. EPG threw everything and the kitchen sink at him and he still had 30. I'm sure someone on this board will be excited to hear that of his 30 points, only ONE was a 3 pointer. Looking forward to their game tonight at 7.

Noah Funk for EPG was a completely different player in the first half of yesterday's game than the previous game. He had 9 points and 4 blocks at the half. His mid-range jumper is a thing of beauty. He finished with 15 points and 5 blocks. He can spot up and hit a mid range jumper and showed touch around the rim. As mentioned above, he's listed at 6'8 but his arms are very long. He had some reverse lay ups that just left me scratching my head with how far he was away from the basket and just able to drop it in. He'll still need to put on weight but he has time. I was very impressed with this version of Funk.

Micah Meiss managed the game well for EPG. I didn't have him down for too many points but he is a very good PG. I won't get the chance to see EPG again as they are playing now and then if they win, they'll play for 5th at 7 p.m. tonight, when I'll be watching Ty.

Programming note....there is a VERY GOOD possibility the Small School Boys Championship game is St. Joe with Ty against Central Catholic and Certa. U-High vs CCHS tonight to determine who goes to the ship. St. Joe plays Rockford Lutheran in the semis.

DaveBird10

What I will report to everyone was Pedon stayed and watched the Central vs Uhigh game. After it was over I was waiting for my buddy and Pedon walked by so I said, " hey coach" we all chatted for a second and then as we were leaving Pedon went over and gave a hug to Certa and to talk to him.

Certa has a nice quick shot and played better defense then what I had heard. Uhigh faced guarded Certa which kinda took him out of the game. Seemed like every bump Certa was calling for the official and a foul. As the kid can really shoot it if he is going to be successful at a Penn State then he needs to hit the weight room a little. With that said I the thought of Kinziger bringing the ball up the floor, Pence running the baseline as Walker sets a screen for Certa at the top of key to hit the game winner has crossed my mind. Certa coming of screens with the other talent that we have coming in is very intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom