2019 ISU @ NIU

MadBird

Wasn't our last trip to DeKalb the one with the "stolen" play book? Coach Denver's regime? Sat with my old pal Tom in his season tickets on the Huskie side that year. They were pretty gracious winners, I do remember that. The fans I mean.

TIMMY

MadBird said:
Wasn't our last trip to DeKalb the one with the "stolen" play book? Coach Denver's regime? Sat with my old pal Tom in his season tickets on the Huskie side that year. They were pretty gracious winners, I do remember that. The fans I mean.
I ended up in the middle of their students somehow. I had a lot of fun with the little bastards.It was a good trip. Fun tailgate.

ChiRedbirdfan

I hope it is opening weekend. If so that would be something to look forward to vs a home opening game with Valpo that is then followed by a bye week.

Birdfan 4Life

ChiRedbirdfan said:
I hope it is opening weekend. If so that would be something to look forward to vs a home opening game with Valpo that is then followed by a bye week.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-northern-illinois-huskies-football-schedule.php
I would guess it is. NIU wouldn't want to have 3 Away games to start the season. August 31, 2019 would be my bet.

We also have NAU returning that year and an away game with EIU if their university is still around.

Source

ChiRedbirdfan said:

Though we do see it will likely be the first game of the season in 2019, keep in mind, Jake Kolbe will not be under center to start that season. We'll be throwing out Hatfield, Smith, or Broadnax or.... Another QB. Man, we have a lot of depth at that position.

ISU_DirtyBird

This is amazing news! Cannot to see where the Redbirds will be in 2 years. I don't think we can stop talking about how Spack has done such an amazing job since taking the job!

ChiRedbirdfan

Birdfan 4Life said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-northern-illinois-huskies-football-schedule.php
I would guess it is. NIU wouldn't want to have 3 Away games to start the season. August 31, 2019 would be my bet.

We also have NAU returning that year and an away game with EIU if their university is still around.

ISU athletics and their attempt to get students to games as well as grow Redbird Nation may be the biggest benefactor of EIU's demise. ONLY for the sake of ISU athletics, lets hope EIU is shuttered so ISU can get rid of this annual garbage game. You are who you are associated with and for ISU to play EIU and present this as their marque football game is a disservice to ISU athletics/students/alumni/alumna, IMO.

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Birdfan 4Life said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

ISU athletics and their attempt to get students to games as well as grow Redbird Nation may be the biggest benefactor of EIU's demise. ONLY for the sake of ISU athletics, lets hope EIU is shuttered so ISU can get rid of this annual garbage game. You are who you are associated with and for ISU to play EIU and present this as their marque football game is a disservice to ISU athletics/students/alumni/alumna, IMO.
that's pretty bad .. hoping a school fails and shutters, so we don't have to play them in football every year. I'm quite sure there is probably a much better way to make this point .. you think ?

ChiRedbirdfan

fourthandshort said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:
Birdfan 4Life said:

that's pretty bad .. hoping a school fails and shutters, so we don't have to play them in football every year. I'm quite sure there is probably a much better way to make this point .. you think ?
Lighten up...I highlighted the ONLY to make it a point that wanting EIU's demise was a self centered benefit to ISU. The point of the post is that ISU can do way better in promoting, building/growing and branding their athletics by playing some university of higher substance than EIU.

That said I do believe one or two of the state of Illinois universities should be closed for many reasons with EIU being a strong candidate as one of them. Even from a simple geographic perspective, for a state that is long and narrow, it doesn't make sense to have so many regional/directional/state universities clustered together in the center of the state.

ISU_DirtyBird

ChiRedbirdfan said:
fourthandshort said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:
Lighten up...I highlighted the ONLY to make it a point that wanting EIU's demise was a self centered benefit to ISU. The point of the post is that ISU can do way better in promoting, building/growing and branding their athletics by playing some university of higher substance than EIU.

That said I do believe one or two of the state of Illinois universities should be closed for many reasons with EIU being a strong candidate as one of them. Even from a simple geographic perspective, for a state that is long and narrow, it doesn't make sense to have so many regional/directional/state universities clustered together in the center of the state.

ISU has prided itself on its student to faculty ratio. I doubt that they will push the envelope on that. It currently doesn't appear that they have the capacity to build additional facilities to not only house additional students, but even at a classroom perspective. Hard for me to imagine how much we would truly benefit from a financial/athletic point-of-view.

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
fourthandshort said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

I realize you prefaced your statement .. just still think there are is better way for you to make same point .. which by the way, I have recently changed my mind regarding and now agree this annual EIU game holds us back some.

That is until we were just forced to schedule St Xavier in 2018 .... so starting to have my doubts again because suddenly the annual EIU game looks real good to me !!

crazzymark

if ISU can o in and blow them out.....then the MAC might say...hey Redbirds..then after go to the AAC after a dance or two there..LOL

Jon99

Listening to their fans talk about this game is funny, about how are a lowly FBS and they should be playing Illinois and NW instead.. they clearly don't realize they are a small, small step above FBS. Plus we are the far better overall school

ChiRedbirdfan

Jon99 said:
Listening to their fans talk about this game is funny, about how are a lowly FBS and they should be playing Illinois and NW instead.. they clearly don't realize they are a small, small step above FBS. Plus we are the far better overall school

You bring up an interesting point....that being fans of teams at every level below FBS feel they should be able to "play up" and expect the teams at the higher level to want to play them while at the same time fans of teams at every level including FBS feel it is totally unacceptable to ever "play down". Such inconsistent thinking and I will confess I am as guilty as anyone of this type of thinking.

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Jon99 said:

You bring up an interesting point....that being fans of teams at every level below FBS feel they should be able to "play up" and expect the teams at the higher level to want to play them while at the same time fans of teams at every level including FBS feel it is totally unacceptable to ever "play down". Such inconsistent thinking and I will confess I am as guilty as anyone of this type of thinking.

Difference in this case is the non D-I game hurts our playoff chances. Plus it is much bigger drop off. Other point is 90% of FBS schedules FCS schools .. while maybe 10% of FCS schools sheds D-II muchess NAIA. So I think there is logical rationale to why this is.

ISU85

ChiRedbirdfan said:
fourthandshort said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

Clustered? Really.

Let's break up the Chicago State, Governor's State, Northeastern Illinois, UIC, cluster first if something has to go.

Jon99

There are 3 state schools that shouldn't be touched:

Illinois
Illinois St
UIC

He rest are all a mess and every option should be considered.