2019 Arch Madness Seeding

Adunk33

Staff member
Figured I would start a thread since this will be the talk of the league for the next three days.

I'll say this to avoid any confusion. The ONLY WAY for us to not play Thursday night against UE in the 7v10 game is to WIN AT SIU ON SATURDAY. That's it, its that simple.

Here is what is clinched:
Evansville is the 10 seed
Valpo and INST are playing for jersey color in the 8/9 game
Mo State, Drake, and Loyola will not play Thursday.

https://twitter.com/mjhackman/status/1100954248349650944?s=21
https://twitter.com/mjhackman/status/1100956945865949184
https://twitter.com/mjhackman/status/1100956597667459073

ISU FAN 1

Beating SIU would be nice, but I’ll embrace the 7 seed if we lose Saturday. At least the 8:30 Thursday game has a better turn around time to the 6:00 Friday game. The 3vs6 game just sucks for Saturday recovery and game prep for the afternoon game. The only question, who you want in that 2 seed slot, Drake or Loyola?

ISU will be the most dangerous 7 seed in Arch history. Nobody wants to draw ISU, mostly because they do not know which ISU will show up. Capable of beating anyone, or exiting in feeble fashion at any time.

Adunk33

Staff member
ISU FAN 1 said:
Beating SIU would be nice, but I’ll embrace the 7 seed if we lose Saturday. At least the 8:30 Thursday game has a better turn around time to the 6:00 Friday game. The 3vs6 game just sucks for Saturday recovery and game prep for the afternoon game. The only question, who you want in that 2 seed slot, Drake or Loyola?

ISU will be the most dangerous 7 seed in Arch history. Nobody wants to draw ISU, mostly because they do not know which ISU will show up. Capable of beating anyone, or exiting in feeble fashion at any time.

I'd prefer in this order: MOST, LU, Drake. All things considered, neither game against MOST was much of a challenge. We were more battling with ourselves both times than the other team. Loyola we played close at their place and beat at home. They are not the team from last year but despite Custer's struggles this season, he is still a floor general, and a calming presence for the Blers. Add in Krutwig, and Townes and they would be tough to beat. Lastly, Drake will want us. We whooped them on their floor in our most complete game of the season, and then got by against them at Redbird, where they shot the ball awful. Shut down McGlynn and Ellingson and make someone else score and I'd like our chances there, too. I would also like to throw some Boo's at Noah Thomas' punk a**.

The only team I would not want to see is UNI, and depending what happens Saturday, SIU. UNI plays very smart and has a great coach (who called an awful play last night with ISO for his freshman). SIU is senior led, with some guys who have made it to Saturday before. Barry's swan song will depend on his seniors. Are they done playing for him or do they want their careers to continue?

Plus, Evansville will be no slouch either. They put up an easy 90 points yesterday.

Redbird28

Adunk33 said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

I'd prefer in this order: MOST, LU, Drake. All things considered, neither game against MOST was much of a challenge. We were more battling with ourselves both times than the other team. Loyola we played close at their place and beat at home. They are not the team from last year but despite Custer's struggles this season, he is still a floor general, and a calming presence for the Blers. Add in Krutwig, and Townes and they would be tough to beat. Lastly, Drake will want us. We whooped them on their floor in our most complete game of the season, and then got by against them at Redbird, where they shot the ball awful. Shut down McGlynn and Ellingson and make someone else score and I'd like our chances there, too. I would also like to throw some Boo's at Noah Thomas' punk a**.

The only team I would not want to see is UNI, and depending what happens Saturday, SIU. UNI plays very smart and has a great coach (who called an awful play last night with ISO for his freshman). SIU is senior led, with some guys who have made it to Saturday before. Barry's swan song will depend on his seniors. Are they done playing for him or do they want their careers to continue?

Plus, Evansville will be no slouch either. They put up an easy 90 points yesterday.

I told my wife last night that I want no part of UNI either. Yes, we beat them by 1 at home, but they are playing way better since then and have the ability to exploit our Achilles heel - guarding the 3. Too many guys capable of burying shots. Granted, live by it, die by it, but still I'd prefer not to even have to deal with it. If it ends up happening, so be it, but would rather see someone else take them down so we don't have to even mess with it.

Flagship08

It could be fun to embrace the challenge as the first Thursday team to win arch madness. The problem is we don't have any depth. We can't ride Malik and Fayne hard for 4 straight days and expect them to perform at a high level. Also worried about Chastain being able to play even 2 games back to back.

Any word on Jefferson?

BTbird

Crazy year for us. We are 2 half court buzzer beaters away from being tied for first with one game left to play, yet there is a good chance we will be a Thursday night team.

Adunk33

Staff member
Flagship08 said:
Any word on Jefferson?

At last word, he wasn't quite ready to be back but whenever he does get back physically, and he is close, he still has to earn minutes in practice. Reminder that before his injury he was reduced to limited minutes anyway. Yes, start of the season JJ was top notch but when his shot wasn't falling his defensive effort wasn't their either. As Tinsley has learned the past few games, defensive effort leads to shots going in. So, he needs to be a high effort guy in practice before getting a chance to play again.

Trey_Guidry4three

Adunk33 said:
Flagship08 said:
Any word on Jefferson?

At last word, he wasn't quite ready to be back but whenever he does get back physically, and he is close, he still has to earn minutes in practice. Reminder that before his injury he was reduced to limited minutes anyway. Yes, start of the season JJ was top notch but when his shot wasn't falling his defensive effort wasn't their either. As Tinsley has learned the past few games, defensive effort leads to shots going in. So, he needs to be a high effort guy in practice before getting a chance to play again.

If this team has any chance to advance in the mvc tourney they will need a few more guys off the bench. At some point having fresh legs is better than having "defensive effort " on a substandard defensive team. If Jefferson can play it would yet be another colossal mistake by Muller holding him back by giving him the "earning the minutes" treatment.

redbirds2000

Trey_Guidry4three said:
Adunk33 said:
Flagship08 said:
Any word on Jefferson?

If this team has any chance to advance in the mvc tourney they will need a few more guys off the bench. At some point having fresh legs is better than having "defensive effort " on a substandard defensive team. If Jefferson can play it would yet be another colossal mistake by Muller holding him back by giving him the "earning the minutes" treatment.
There are only 3 other teams in the conference that brought more minutes off the bench last night than us. There are not any deep teams in this conference. Everyone is going to be in the same boat come Saturday and Sunday. It will come down to mental toughness, bball IQ, and execution. I would bet all five starters on both teams play 29+ on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ISU86

redbirds2000 said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:
Adunk33 said:

There are only 3 other teams in the conference that brought more minutes off the bench last night than us. There are not any deep teams in this conference. Everyone is going to be in the same boat come Saturday and Sunday. It will come down to mental toughness, bball IQ, and execution. I would bet all five starters on both teams play 29+ on Sunday.

The difference is depth and flexibility. We do not have that card to play. All it takes is an overtime or tightly called game (fouls) to go through a roster.

At this point, even if we were to blow someone out, we could not rest all of our starters (if Jefferson is unavailable).

And I would bet all five starters from both final teams do not play 29+ minutes all three (or more) days.

Trey_Guidry4three

redbirds2000 said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:
Adunk33 said:

And you think this team has basketball IQ + mental toughness?? 💱

Birdman07

I think the easiest path for the Redbirds is UNI, Drake, Loyola. I am really hoping for a 5 seed to stay out of Thursday and the final Friday game.

ISU FAN 1

Arch Madness Spring forward clock change weekend to further compress the event.

Trey_Guidry4three

Birdman07 said:
I think the easiest path for the Redbirds is UNI, Drake, Loyola. I am really hoping for a 5 seed to stay out of Thursday and the final Friday game.

I was hoping to avoid Thursday. But, this has to be the most dangerous 7 seed in mvc history. With this senior class and leadership, I can see us rolling off 3 or 4 in a row next weekend

Redbird Alum 2004

Trey_Guidry4three said:
Birdman07 said:

I was hoping to avoid Thursday. But, this has to be the most dangerous 7 seed in mvc history. With this senior class and leadership, I can see us rolling off 3 or 4 in a row next weekend

Agreed I think it is possible but I am forever hopeful.

redbirds2000

Trey_Guidry4three said:
Birdman07 said:

I am hopefully sensing sarcasm! If not, show me one person in the men's basketball program that is leader. I am just asking for one.

Redbird Alum 2004

redbirds2000 said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:
Birdman07 said:

I am hopefully sensing sarcasm! If not, show me one person in the men's basketball program that is leader. I am just asking for one.

Chastain.
Hein.
Fisher.

Top Bottom