2017 Home Attendance

JHBird

With the year we had I was bummed our attendance wasn't much better. That was one of the better teams we had....

Hamdonger

The athletic dept, hopefully, is looking at this saying WE CAN AND SHOULD DO SO MUCH BETTER.

cpacmel

This isn't meant as an excuse but we are one of the few schools that reports attendance as actually "butts in the seats".

For example Bradley reports tickets sold as their attendance. A few years ago they played Creighton in an absolute blizzard. There couldn't have been more than 300 people at the game. Attendance was listed at 8k.

CB2K

Arch Madness is still drawing well. I assume that number goes down with the loss of Wichita State. From a basketball geographic perspective I like the Valpo addition but they will not replace the traveling WSU fan base to STL.

I was surprised to see that Baylor, ASU, TCU and GT drew less than 6,817. Grand Canyon is on the rise and their market is quite expansive. I am not a GC fan but if trying to broaden the MVC it may not hurt to consider for expansion.

* The mid-major conference tournament with the best attendance was actually the Summit League, which drew 9,978 fans per game. The Missouri Valley’s Arch Madness was close behind at 9,339, with the MEAC after that (7,286).

*Grand Canyon, which is still transitioning to Division I, drew 6,817 fans per game. That’s better than Baylor, Arizona State, TCU, Georgia Tech, Temple, Oregon State, and DePaul’s per-game averages.

SoCalRedbird

I've said it before, but the athletic department needs to modernize the RBA experience. Very little difference between the early 2000s and now. Ditch the same tired promotions, hire a youthful PA voice, upgrade the concession offerings. Roll out the red carpet to Red Alert and their arena antics. Continue to spread the red with social media.

Oh, and win more games.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bdub777

SoCalRedbird said:
I've said it before, but the athletic department needs to modernize the RBA experience. Very little difference between the early 2000s and now. Ditch the same tired promotions, hire a youthful PA voice, upgrade the concession offerings. Roll out the red carpet to Red Alert and their arena antics. Continue to spread the red with social media.

Oh, and win more games.

Agree for the most part, and I should stress I go to the games for the basketball, which has gotten much better. I will also say that it is VERY slowly improving. Some of the video stuff the last few years has improved a lot as well as the boards (when they work).

All the same, for us longtime season ticket holders, it is largely a Groundhog Day experience in terms of the non-play game experience. The PA guys during the timeouts have been consistently lame tools from Radio Bloomington. The pep band seems to budget for a new sheet music song every other year., and most of the music is rooted in my era (80s/90s) vs the present Many of the same halftime entertainment offerings every year. The winter break halftime entertainment has resorted to scrimmaging grade school teams from Morton. The main concessions, especially the popcorn, are still awful.

It could and should be a better and less predictable format. But other than that, I enjoy the games!😀👍

Bird Friend

SoCalRedbird said:

Oh, and win more games.

Tried that a couple years ago. He was awful.

MPE773

Bird Friend said:
SoCalRedbird said:

Oh, and win more games.

Tried that a couple years ago. He was awful.

Awful!

DannyCooksey

Steve Adams is still great. No need for change there IMO.

i don't know what else to suggest. I made it to 4 games last year, I think. I wish i could attend more.

birdsflyhigh

Once the Redbirds start making the NCAA Big Dance again (which could be this season), then RA will start filling up again...although 90th in the country is pretty darn good. Think the arrow is pointed up for the program, but making the NCAA tourney will push it to new heights.

GO YOU REDBIRDS! :auto-car:

ISU FAN 1

birdsflyhigh said:
Once the Redbirds start making the NCAA Big Dance again (which could be this season), then RA will start filling up again...although 90th in the country is pretty darn good. Think the arrow is pointed up for the program, but making the NCAA tourney will push it to new heights.

Get that chant going next year .... "We're #90! We're #90!"

Maybe pass out participation ribbons to attendees. Or stickers to wear that say "I went to a Redbird game." People like that.

rossbc

cpacmel said:
This isn't meant as an excuse but we are one of the few schools that reports attendance as actually "butts in the seats".

For example Bradley reports tickets sold as their attendance. A few years ago they played Creighton in an absolute blizzard. There couldn't have been more than 300 people at the game. Attendance was listed at 8k.

I've seen this posted before but is this documented anywhere other than from posters on here? Just curious to the logic behind it because I don't really see any.

SgtHulka

ISU FAN 1 said:
birdsflyhigh said:

Get that chant going next year .... "We're #90! We're #90!"

Maybe pass out participation ribbons to attendees. Or stickers to wear that say "I went to a Redbird game." People like that.
i-voted-sticker.jpg

With my butt

SgtHulka

rossbc said:
cpacmel said:

I've seen this posted before but is this documented anywhere other than from posters on here? Just curious to the logic behind it because I don't really see any.
i2HQp0j.gif

cpacmel

rossbc said:
cpacmel said:

We contacted the SID at ISU and asked him. He basically said that's the way they have always done it and they weren't gonna change because attendance is actually being there.

RedbirdNation24

I don't think it's reasonable to expect attendance numbers to stay that high this year. Not only did we have a HISTORIC season (setting wins record, undefeated at RBA, etc.), but those guys, Paris, Tony, Teddy, Mikyle were together for 3-4 years and a lot of people grew attached to them. I know I tuned into the NIT games just because I didn't want to miss a chance to see Paris play one more time.

Should the bar be raised? Absolutely. But we should be honest with ourselves about where we stand as a program in the national landscape. With Wichita gone, I really hope (and think) we can step up and become the dominant force in this league, and if we do that for a couple years, then I think we can expect the attendance numbers to stay in that top-100 echelon.

For what it's worth, my money's on UNI to really dominate the league in the coming years. I hope I'm wrong. I think we have probably the most talent in the league, but will they stick around?

ISUBU

rossbc said:
cpacmel said:

Accurate. Reported attendance was 8091, and I'll believe an estimate of 300 or so. The game was on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 in the middle of the afternoon. Even though this was midweek, it was moved up because of the weather. I would have attended, but I didn't want to drive home after the game, through the countryside after dark in that blowing snow. It was challenging but you could get there if you lived in Peoria.
https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/boxscore/2011-02-01/Creighton-at-Bradley/40353

But back to the topic...why not just report tickets sold?

Redbirdwarrior

Attendance is going to drop if, for no other reason, that we are inviting Valpo (I'd say probably 6500 tickets sold) to replace WSU (9500-10,000 tickets sold. You also lose a national TV game. If you think students are NOT driven by being on ESPN or ESPN2, you are kidding yourself.

I expect attendance to be down across the board this year. Our highest attendance , I figure, will be Bradley and I'd guess we'd be around 8200 for that one. MAYBE if we have a game against like UNI for the regular season title on ESPN 2 the last week of the season, we MIGHT get to 9000, but there are no sellouts in this slate of games. I'd be surprised if CSU clears 4000 butts in seats.

ISU FAN 1

RedbirdNation24 said:
I don't think it's reasonable to expect attendance numbers to stay that high this year. Not only did we have a HISTORIC season (setting wins record, undefeated at RBA, etc.), but those guys, Paris, Tony, Teddy, Mikyle were together for 3-4 years and a lot of people grew attached to them. I know I tuned into the NIT games just because I didn't want to miss a chance to see Paris play one more time.

Should the bar be raised? Absolutely. But we should be honest with ourselves about where we stand as a program in the national landscape. With Wichita gone, I really hope (and think) we can step up and become the dominant force in this league, and if we do that for a couple years, then I think we can expect the attendance numbers to stay in that top-100 echelon.

For what it's worth, my money's on UNI to really dominate the league in the coming years. I hope I'm wrong. I think we have probably the most talent in the league, but will they stick around?

:text-+1:

Except for the part about ISU having the most talent. Not only do we have a lot of unknowns, but fans seem to over value their talent based on greater familiarity with that talent as compared to other schools. Other Valley team fans mostly think the same thing .... that they have the most talent. We'll play the season to find out who's right. And some fans will still insist their team has the most talent, even as they rack up losses.

Top Bottom