1990 Tournament Games and a request...

Hi All,

The discussion about the MVC tournament games in the 'Greatest Moments' thread got me thinking about what we have in terms of video. I had some conversations with Jon Pemberton, who has two of the 1990 tournament games (as well as some other games from his era) on YouTube, and he was fine with me posting them here in case anyone was interested in watching. With the lockdown, I spent some time actually watching some of the old games, and they are definitely fun to watch and compare to nowadays (myself and a few friends spent a couple hours last night texting about the video and digging up old stats).

Unfortunately, we don't have a copy of the 1990 championship game... so here's the request.

I would really like to see the 1990 championship again (that was one of my favorite sports weekends as a fan of any sport). Jon said that he and some of the other players would also be interested in seeing the championship as well if we can dig it up. Please PM me if you have a copy of the championship. THANKS!

Anyway, here are links to the first two games of the 1990 Tournament (partial of the 1st round Drake game and the Creighton game - a young Porter Moser on the Bluejays and young Commissioner Elgin in halftime show), also the 1990 NCAA tourney game vs Michigan and a highlights video. Any feedback welcome.

1st Round Drake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTR8Tn8OHfY&t=3920s

2nd Round Creighton:
https://youtu.be/PR86g9XYLj4

I think this has been posted before, here is the 1990 NCAA Tournament Game vs. Michigan (this is a good game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV6PcdVNPbk&t=913s

1990 Highlights Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqzm5p_FLM&t=610s

There are a few others that I will post later if there is interest.

Thanks!
Naper

Hamdonger

I've never seen the Drake game link. Thanks man! Here is an interesting perk for your coffee pot.

Good Division 1 basketball team that went to The Dance. The staff:
Bob Bender - age 32
Jay Lowenthal - age 32
Ray Giacoletti - age 27
Billy King - age 24

Probably has, but still fun to think about...has there ever been a staff, collectively, that young? Still makes me go 'wow'. 3 championships in 4 yrs. Fun energetic crowd. Boisterous (there's your word of the day) student section. Smokin' hot Dance Line...oohhhh mamacita. Flaming tubas (guess they were setting off dynamite in there or something, I never figured it out). Sht, even the male cheerleaders were freakin' cool. Overall picture...not bad. (Bob Morris, mid 40's, was the restricted earnings coach)

DannyCooksey

Humdinger said:
I've never seen the Drake game link. Thanks man! Here is an interesting perk for your coffee pot.

Bob Bender - age 32
Jay Lowenthal - age 32
Ray Giacoletti - age 27
Billy King - age 24

Probably has, but still fun to think about...has there ever been a staff, collectively, that young? Still makes me go 'wow'. 3 championships in 4 yrs. Fun energetic crowd. Boisterous (there's your word of the day) student section. Smokin' hot Dance Line. Flaming tubas (guess they were setting off dynamitd in there or something, I never fogured it out). Sht, even the male cheerleaders were freakin' cool. Overall picture...not bad. (Bob Morris, mid 40's, was the restricted earnings coach)

Jay Lowenthal strongly resembled Professor Jennings in Animal House

Hamdonger

DannyCooksey said:
Humdinger said:

Bob Bender - age 32
Jay Lowenthal - age 32
Ray Giacoletti - age 27
Billy King - age 24

Probably has, but still fun to think about...has there ever been a staff, collectively, that young? Still makes me go 'wow'. 3 championships in 4 yrs. Fun energetic crowd. Boisterous (there's your word of the day) student section. Smokin' hot Dance Line. Flaming tubas (guess they were setting off dynamitd in there or something, I never fogured it out). Sht, even the male cheerleaders were freakin' cool. Overall picture...not bad. (Bob Morris, mid 40's, was the restricted earnings coach)

Jay Lowenthal strongly resembled Professor Jennings in Animal House

Hahaha that's hilarious!! Never made the connection! I talk to him now and again, I'll pass it along!

ricohill

Also, that 1990 Drake team was quite the story themselves. Mid-season mutiny. Refused to practice, got their coach fired for abuse and writing papers for the players.

Bird Friend

Humdinger said:

Bob Bender - age 32
Jay Lowenthal - age 32
Ray Giacoletti - age 27
Billy King - age 24

Probably has, but still fun to think about...has there ever been a staff, collectively, that young? Still makes me go 'wow'. 3 championships in 4 yrs. Fun energetic crowd. Boisterous (there's your word of the day) student section. Smokin' hot Dance Line...oohhhh mamacita. Flaming tubas (guess they were setting off dynamite in there or something, I never figured it out). Sht, even the male cheerleaders were freakin' cool. Overall picture...not bad. (Bob Morris, mid 40's, was the restricted earnings coach)

3 championships in 4 years? Nope. During Bender's tenure, they won the Valley season twice: outright once and tied for the top spot once (and didn't get an at-large bid either time). I count playing in 2 tourney finals, winning 1 because we hosted the tourney that year . . . They did play on Sunday 3x, but the championship was on Mondays back then. The Valley was bad during that time. So any claims the '90 team would run circles against the current Valley may be a little over estimating.

ricohill

Bird Friend said:
Humdinger said:

Bob Bender - age 32
Jay Lowenthal - age 32
Ray Giacoletti - age 27
Billy King - age 24

3 championships in 4 years? Nope. During Bender's tenure, they won the Valley season twice: outright once and tied for the top spot once (and didn't get an at-large bid either time). I count playing in 2 tourney finals, winning 1 because we hosted the tourney that year . . . They did play on Sunday 3x, but the championship was on Mondays back then. The Valley was bad during that time. So any claims the '90 team would run circles against the current Valley may be a little over estimating.

If that is your logic then Muller has never won a Championship. They won the 1990 MVC Tournament Title then the two regular season Championships. That is 3 in 4 years.

I agree the MVC wasn't as good as the glory days, but here are the final RPI of the teams in 1990 (they didn't do conference ranking).

SIU -72
Creighton - 74
ISU - 79
Tulsa - 89
Wichita State - 138
Drake - 175
Bradley - 179
Indiana State - 203

You still had 4 top 100 teams in the league. I think the last time the MVC had 4 top 100 teams was 2013.

Hamdonger

Bird Friend said:
Humdinger said:

Bob Bender - age 32
Jay Lowenthal - age 32
Ray Giacoletti - age 27
Billy King - age 24

We do different math.
1990 Conf Tournament Championship
1992 MVC regular season co-Championship
1993 MVC regular season Championship

That's 3 in 4. Like I said, not bad. But I was gone the day they taught math in school. And didn't make one claim about running circles. Bad morning? Switch from Cheerios to Lucky Charms. They're magically delicious. :mrgreen:

ricohill

Humdinger said:
Bird Friend said:
Humdinger said:

Bob Bender - age 32
Jay Lowenthal - age 32
Ray Giacoletti - age 27
Billy King - age 24

We do different math.

That's 3 in 4. Like I said, not bad. But I was gone the day they taught math in school. And didn't make one claim about running circles. Bad morning? Switch from Cheerios to Lucky Charms. They're magically delicious. :mrgreen:

We don’t agree on much, but they won 3 championships.

Hamdonger

Just for kicks.

Tournament champions:
1990 ISU - lost in 1st rd to defending national champion Michigan (who was top 10 all yr except for final poll, top 5 half of that) 76-70...tie ballgame with 1:30 to go. I know, DUH.

1991 Creighton - won their NCAA 1st round game against New Mexico St (who ranked as high as 11th, several times, in AP poll that year) CU then lost in 2nd rd to Seton Hall (13th in final AP poll) 81-69.

1992 SW Mo St - lost opening rd game 61-54 to Michigan State, who was ranked 9th several times in AP poll and top 15 most of yr.

1993 SIU - lost to Duke, ranked top 5 most of yr and #1 quite a few weeks, 105-70.

1994 SIU - lost 1st rd to Minnesota, preseason top 10 and top 20 ranking all yr, 74-60 in a little closer game than score indicated. Announcers were in love with Chris Carr.

1995 SIU - lost 1st rd to Syracuse, ranked top20 most of yr and high as 6th AP, 96-92.

Point to all this is I think early 90's Valley sucksters is just a wee bit overstated. Not saying MVC was great. But they weren't horrible for Pete's sake.

ricohill

Humdinger said:
Just for kicks.

Tournament champions:
1990 ISU - lost in 1st rd to defending national champion Michigan (who was top 10 all yr except for final poll, top 5 half of that) 76-70...tie ballgame with 1:30 to go. I know, DUH.

1991 Creighton - won their NCAA 1st round game against New Mexico St (who ranked as high as 11th, several times, in AP poll that year) CU then lost in 2nd rd to Seton Hall (13th in final AP poll) 81-69.

1992 SW Mo St - lost opening rd game 61-54 to Michigan State, who was ranked 9th several times in AP poll and top 15 most of yr.

1993 SIU - lost to Duke, ranked top 5 most of yr and #1 quite a few weeks, 105-70.

1994 SIU - lost 1st rd to Minnesota, preseason top 10 and top 20 ranking all yr, 74-60 in a little closer game than score indicated. Announcers were in love with Chris Carr.

1995 SIU - lost 1st rd to Syracuse, ranked top20 most of yr and high as 6th AP, 96-92.

Point to all this is I think early 90's Valley sucksters is just a wee bit overstated. Not saying MVC was great. But they weren't horrible for Pete's sake.

I would say the difference between 90-96 vs. 97-2013 was depth. I think the Valley now is similar to the early nineties. Only one or two top 100 teams.

I went through the 90s in RPI and after 90 you get a lot of years with only 1 or 2 top 100 teams. The top teams were good, but the bottom just weren’t competitive.

However, I think the top team in the league is better than the top team now.

CaliRdBrd

I remember watching that game against Michigan at a bar in Florida, over spring break. So many missed opportunities down the stretch.

Hrtnfldhse

Humdinger said:
Just for kicks.

Tournament champions:

SIU was good then but compare it to the 80's and the 90's were not good in terms of depth.

Bird Friend

Humdinger said:
Bird Friend said:
Humdinger said:

Bob Bender - age 32
Jay Lowenthal - age 32
Ray Giacoletti - age 27
Billy King - age 24

We do different math.

Sorry. I’ll give you it on a technicality, tho I don’t agree with the math. And FWIW, Stallings was supposed to win big with the returning squad when he took over. He didn’t, but he didn’t have Muller yet.

Baltimore Bird

Thank you for posting those videos. I just finished watching the entire Creighton game. I was at that game, but that was 30 years ago. It is hard to imagine those players and cheerleaders are now in most cases 50+ years old. That was really a fun team to watch. The thing that impressed me was the ball movement and the team defense. I sure hope to see that again.

Hamdonger

Bird Friend said:
We do different math.

Sorry. I’ll give you it on a technicality, tho I don’t agree with the math. And FWIW, Stallings was supposed to win big with the returning squad when he took over. He didn’t, but he didn’t have Muller yet.
[/quote]

All good BirdieBuddy, besides I'm no Mr. Pi. That 93-94 team more or less revolted against Stallings by the end of the year. As a group, he never won them over and they never won him over. Not uncommon in first yr coaching changes.

222...watched Drake game, Creighton up to bat. So dang nostalgic. Hearing chants we used to, well, chant. Honest to goodness those games as a student were time of my life. The hustle for the best seats was well worth the hustle! I completely wish that for the students of today.

Hamdonger

Bird Friend said:
Humdinger said:
We do different math.

All good BirdieBuddy, besides I'm no Professor Pi. That 93-94 team more or less revolted against Stallings by the end of the year. As a group, he never won them over and they never won him over. Not uncommon in first yr coaching changes.

222...watched Drake game, Creighton up to bat. So dang nostalgic. Hearing chants we used to, well, chant. Honest to goodness those games as a student were time of my life. The hustle for the best seats was well worth the hustle! I completely wish that for the students of today.

Top Bottom