18% of MVFC players from Illinois

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
According to HERO Sports anyway. Must be a hotbed?

https://twitter.com/HEROSportsFCS/status/1164233003381547008

fourthandshort

I'm guessing a similar % of the midwest states population is also Illinois with Chicago area leading the way.

Adunk33

Staff member
This tells me Illinois has a crap ton of talent here that a lot of FBS programs choose not to take advantage of for whatever reason. I mean, James O'Shaughnessy, Cam Meredith, Liedtke, and three names off the top of my head who have had multi-year careers out of our school but are homegrown in Illinois. I'm sure Illinois being close to the geographical center of the MVFC plays a role too.

fourthandshort

So according to the first site google found, wikipedia .... as of 2019, there are 65m people in midwest including these states: ND, SD, NE, KS, MO, IA, MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH.

IL has 12.7m , which is 20% of the midwest population. Chicago metro by itself has 9.5m. So it is not surprising that 18% of MVFC players are from IL.

If anything, it is surprisingly not higher given there should be more competition with the concentration of bigger schools in clos proximity to each other and how central Chicago metro is to all of the MVFC schools.

fourthandshort

So according to the first site google found, wikipedia .... as of 2019, there are 65m people in midwest including these states: ND, SD, NE, KS, MO, IA, MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH.

IL has 12.7m , which is 20% of the midwest population. Chicago metro by itself has 9.5m. So it is not surprising that 18% of MVFC players are from IL.

If anything, it is surprisingly not higher given there should be more competition with the concentration of bigger schools in clos proximity to each other.

ChiRedbirdfan

Adunk33 said:
This tells me Illinois has a crap ton of talent here that a lot of FBS programs choose not to take advantage of for whatever reason. I mean, James O'Shaughnessy, Cam Meredith, Liedtke, and three names off the top of my head who have had multi-year careers out of our school but are homegrown in Illinois. I'm sure Illinois being close to the geographical center of the MVFC plays a role too.

The Chicagoland area AND Illinois are recruited heavily by FBS.

ChiRedbirdfan

fourthandshort said:

If anything, it is surprisingly not higher given there should be more competition with the concentration of bigger schools in clos proximity to each other and how central Chicago metro is to all of the MVFC schools.

You only compared the Illinois numbers to the rest of the the Midwest. Though that is the main recruiting area for the MVC the MVC does get players from other areas of the country so that 18% percent may be a strong number from one state?

StLRedbird

Given that 30% of current MVFC members hail from Illinois, this isn't a really strong number at all, is it?

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
fourthandshort said:

You only compared the Illinois numbers to the rest of the the Midwest. Though that is the main recruiting area for the MVC the MVC does get players from other areas of the country so that 18% percent may be a strong number from one state?
yes, my list of midwest states doesn't account for the small fraction of rostered players from places like TX, FL, etc. But 18% doesn't make Illinois a hotbed for football talent .. it actually sounds about right given demographics. As STLBird mentioned 30% of MVFC schools are in IL, and 2 more are within half hour of border, plus if you plotted a map of all MVFC schools, Chicago Metro might be smack dab in middle with 20% of the midwest population.

The other point is I think if you surveyed the SEC football coaches and asked what they really thought of Illinois football from recruitment standpoint .. their response would be, meh .. it's ok.

ChiRedbirdfan

isuquinndog said:
According to HERO Sports anyway. Must be a hotbed?

https://twitter.com/HEROSportsFCS/status/1164233003381547008
Eyeballing the map I am not certain that the rest of the country’s (non-Midwest) contribution of players to the MVC is a small fraction

Top Bottom