11/23 @ YSU 11am

StLRedbird

Anyone that predicts a score for this game is a damned fool.

Redbirds 13
Formally Dressed Birds 9

Total Red

Staff member
The curtain goes up on the Jack Baltz era as the starting Field General of the Illinois State Redbird Football Offense. Let the fireworks begin (with simple safe eruptions). And if you're a Bryce Jefferson fan we should get to see him too. Britton Morris? Easy now gamesters don't get greedy. Only so many freshmen phenoms at a time.

fourthandshort

chuckie1980 said:
Redbirds 36
FleetwoodMac 10

I love a good vague reference... but that one went way over my head ... Fleetwood Mac ?????

Can I get a hint ?

Redbird28

Reggies 24
Petes 13

Hope the young QB's are ready to make a statement and help the defense stay off the field more than necessary. They owe them one.

Redbird28

fourthandshort said:
chuckie1980 said:
Redbirds 36
FleetwoodMac 10

I love a good vague reference... but that one went way over my head ... Fleetwood Mac ?????

Can I get a hint ?

Probably a reference to this...

220px-Penguin_%28album%29.jpg

Reggie Redbird

YSU started out 4-0. After a very close loss to UNI about 1.5 months ago (21-14), their season crumbled.
Since then:

38-28 loss to SDSU
35-10 loss to SIU
59-14 win over WIU
56-17 loss to NDSU
56-21 loss to SoDak
24-17 loss to INSU

Make no mistake; they are going to play us tough. They may have some guys who are mailing it in right now having lost 6 of their last 7 games. Some seniors though, will likely step up wanting to go out on a high note and knowing we are reeling after two critical injuries.

Let's not give them their 6th win. Let's send Bo to his 3rd straight losing season and 3rd of 5 at YSU. He's going to be on the hot seat to start the year, as it has been a lot of time since their FCS Championship appearance in 2016. After Spack went to the game in the 2014 season, we'll have made the playoffs 2 times and likely a 3rd here this year. Bo has not had the same success. He has had a lot of early season success but mostly falls off once they get to the MVFC schedule.

To our specific game, I see Bo stacking the box big time. If Baltz can get time to throw and is on the same page as his receivers, I think he can connect on some nice passes. We can't have JR take a huge pounding in this game, lose, and then have to play right after Thanksgiving.

Extending the time on drives is something we're going to have to do again this week. We may have to run the play clock down more often than not to give our guys rest. Have Kevin Brown ready to go too; show him film of his game against YSU last year. Hopefully he can dash them like he did last year.

MadBird

Reggie Redbird said:
YSU started out 4-0. After a very close loss to UNI about 1.5 months ago (21-14), their season crumbled.
Since then:

38-28 loss to SDSU
35-10 loss to SIU
59-14 win over WIU
56-17 loss to NDSU
56-21 loss to SoDak
24-17 loss to INSU

Make no mistake; they are going to play us tough. They may have some guys who are mailing it in right now having lost 6 of their last 7 games. Some seniors though, will likely step up wanting to go out on a high note and knowing we are reeling after two critical injuries.

Let's not give them their 6th win. Let's send Bo to his 3rd straight losing season and 3rd of 5 at YSU. He's going to be on the hot seat to start the year, as it has been a lot of time since their FCS Championship appearance in 2016. After Spack went to the game in the 2014 season, we'll have made the playoffs 2 times and likely a 3rd here this year. Bo has not had the same success. He has had a lot of early season success but mostly falls off once they get to the MVFC schedule.

To our specific game, I see Bo stacking the box big time. If Baltz can get time to throw and is on the same page as his receivers, I think he can connect on some nice passes. We can't have JR take a huge pounding in this game, lose, and then have to play right after Thanksgiving.

Extending the time on drives is something we're going to have to do again this week. We may have to run the play clock down more often than not to give our guys rest. Have Kevin Brown ready to go too; show him film of his game against YSU last year. Hopefully he can dash them like he did last year.

I was wondering about the "hot seat" idea, in the context of motivation for the YSU team - is it possible they could save Bo's job with a win? I have no idea how hot his seat is, or if 6-6 saves him and 5-7 wouldn't. But they could also hit the field with the idea of saving good old coach's job with a win.

Sanantoniobird

He’s not near the ‘hot seat’. They were in the Nat’l Championship more recently than us, and we pimp that endlessly.
More importantly, who do they think they can get who’d be better? Bo was 9-4 his last year in the big 12, i think. He’s got quite the hall pass, I’m sure.

Manchester Matt

Sanantoniobird said:
He’s not near the ‘hot seat’. They were in the Nat’l Championship more recently than us, and we pimp that endlessly.
More importantly, who do they think they can get who’d be better? Bo was 9-4 his last year in the big 12, i think. He’s got quite the hall pass, I’m sure.

Not sure what Pelini's last season at Nebraska has to do with his job security at Youngstown at this point.

Pelini is 32-28 overall and 17-22 in the MVFC at YSU. He's finished in the top 3 once and this year will mark the fourth season he's led the Penguins to a bottom 5 finish. Since the natty game run, they are 15-18. Hell, they'll finish tied for last after ISU beats them.

I'm sure they can do better. People need to look beyond the name and look at the job he's done. Personally, I hope he stays. I

cubird

The good thing is YSU has little to no QB film to game plan. The bad thing is there is no good game film! Guess they only have to read some our own scouting reports to prepare😏

Chi-bird

I have to believe that Bo is safe for the time being and needs to continue to be civil with the administration, media, fans, etc. while having no major controversies or major distractions. As long as he does this he’ll be given the chance to get back on track, record-wise.

As far as the game goes, I’m not sure I’ve felt this uneasy for being a 3.5 point favorite.

Birdswin

This has to be treated as if it is a playoff road game by the team - I see a good performance by the Birds, similar to the SDSU game. The Birds need our Punt returner to catch the ball and do not let it hit and roll 20+ yards. Mix in short passes on first down and some play action on second down to complement all of the running plays we will have.

Redbirds 27
Tuxedos 14

ISUBU

There is a lot of dissatisfaction with Pelini among YSU fans. There was speculation a year ago that YSU planned to play a softer schedule in 2019 to get enough wins to make the playoffs. That hasn't worked out. YSU folks feel their recruiting has slipped, and there remains lingering anger about YSU's signing of a player involved with a notorious sexual assault case when in high school.

Just as NDSU has been the team of the 2010s, YSU was the team of the 1990s. Those fans who remember multiple national championships aren't satisfied with a fired Big 12 coach who hasn't consistently won in the MVFC.

I recommend Redbird fans to make the trip some season. Their stadium is unconventional. It is BIG, with a giant grandstand on one side, and a modest stand on the other.

Virginia Redbird

It appears that the Penguins will be playing a Freshman QB of their own against the Redbirds. YSU lost their starter to a broken leg against the Bison and have played a Sophmore the last two games. This is a pretty good article from a local Youngstown paper about Pelini's intentions for the ISU game and into next year. It is Senior day for them but look for quite a few younger players to see the field. It sounds like their Freshman QB, Mark Waid, played well against the Bison leading two Penguin scoring drives. It appears both teams will be lead by true Freshman QBs at some point. Baltz looks as if he will start for the Redbirds. No idea if YSU will start Waid but according to Pelini he is going to play. I looked up the forecast for Youngstown on Saturday. A high of 44 degrees and rain is what is expected. In those type conditions mistakes and turnovers will probably dictate the winner but If the Redbird O-Line has a good day and Robinson gets his yards I think the Defense can handle the Penguin offense. The Birds win but I think it will be a close game.

https://www.vindy.com/sports/ysu-sports/2019/11/changes-on-the-horizon-for-penguins/

Virginia Redbird

Birdswin said:
This has to be treated as if it is a playoff road game by the team - I see a good performance by the Birds, similar to the SDSU game. The Birds need our Punt returner to catch the ball and do not let it hit and roll 20+ yards. Mix in short passes on first down and some play action on second down to complement all of the running plays we will have.

Redbirds 27
Tuxedos 14

Looking at the season the defense has been outstanding. Offensive problems have been very well documented and discussed on this forum. Strong running game and inconsistent passing game. Some due to injuries and some due to inconsistent play. Special teams overall I thought have played pretty well. The kicking game has been solid for the Redbirds all season. To me, the one weak area this season on special teams has been the punt return. Early in the season Taylor Grimes had a few problems fielding punts and was taken off those duties. Over the past few games it seems the returner has had trouble making a decision to field the punt or let it roll. We have had a few muffed punts as well this year. I am not saying this is an achilles heel for the Redbirds but I think it has been the weakest part of special teams play this season.

Top Bottom