Spring Practice!!!

fourthandshort

I doubt we'll see Spack's approach to special teams change. Kinda like asking a tiger to change his stripes. Seems like he's concluded that the chance taken trying to return a ball isn't worth the chance of something bad happening. Like you said, getting the data to support how smart that is - or not - is hard to come by.

Our D gave up 18.9 first downs/game last year. We played one elite team - SDSU - and gave up 25. Just looked at the box score and forgot how badly our D Line was outplayed in that game - 374 yds rushing,. 19 of their first downs were via the rush.

Last season, we just didn't have the juice to get over the hump. Close, but about 8 pts short of a complete enchilada. Our experience and depth next year will improve at most, nearly all positions. Last year we opened the conf season at home against SDSU and got exposed. The EIU loss put us behind the 8 ball - I continue to dislike that we invest the only flexible non-con game we've got every year into playing those guys Zenger didn't make many bad decisions, but...

This years home conf opener is against NDSU. I want a W against those guys so bad I can taste it.

Not arguing otherwise .. but would you ever have imagined Spack allowing an OC to run a no huddle hurry up offense as a primary offense ?

Not me. In fact, i would prefer we mix that up .. use it on and off all game, to help keep our defense more fresh. Last year in particular as we knew our defense would be a work in progress. This year, the defense should be much more ready game 1 .. so it may make more sense in 2024 than it did in 2023. But I still rather mix things up more on that front this fall.

StLRedbird

Not arguing otherwise .. but would you ever have imagined Spack allowing an OC to run a no huddle hurry up offense as a primary offense ?

Not me. In fact, i would prefer we mix that up .. use it on and off all game, to help keep our defense more fresh. Last year in particular as we knew our defense would be a work in progress. This year, the defense should be much more ready game 1 .. so it may make more sense in 2024 than it did in 2023. But I still rather mix things up more on that front this fall.
I was thinking he'd shown greater trust in certain return men in the past. Right now the tidal direction seems to be toward fair catching the ball and getting about your offense. And we haven't had an excess of receivers for what seems like forever. He may be reacting to his personnel, in part.

fourthandshort

I was thinking he'd shown greater trust in certain return men in the past. Right now the tidal direction seems to be toward fair catching the ball and getting about your offense. And we haven't had an excess of receivers for what seems like forever. He may be reacting to his personnel, in part.
Yeah, but we also suck at kicking and punting. Though I do expect some marginal improvement in Kicker Ian Wagner ... we saw some this past fall. Got a big leg, just need to work on consistency. And it seems we had other issues in placekicking. Not to mention kick and punt cover teams.

crazzymark

Yeah, but we also suck at kicking and punting. Though I do expect some marginal improvement in Kicker Ian Wagner ... we saw some this past fall. Got a big leg, just need to work on consistency. And it seems we had other issues in placekicking. Not to mention kick and punt cover teams.
You know he had a pin in his leg right

fourthandshort

You know he had a pin in his leg right
Now sounds familar ... and Im not putting ll our placekicking issues on Wagner either .. need to shore that up entirely.. He could have a mini breakout this year .. if he's healthy, as you in inferred.

Birgs

fourthandshort

Whoa .. Presson had 9 catches. Followed by Kasper w/ 5, then Valpo transfer WR Contreras (6'4") with 3.

Defensively, couple of notable tackle leaders from the scrimmage .. good day for Valpo contingent and offense turned defense contingent

Defensive Leaders:
Mason Kaplan: 9 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack
Christian Kirenga: 7 tackles, 1 PBU, 1 FF
Keondre Jackson: 6 tackles, 1 PBU
Tye Niekamp: 5 tackles
Cam Wilson: 4 tackles, 2 PBU
Nigel White: 4 tackles, 1 PBU

StLRedbird

Whoa .. Presson had 9 catches. Followed by Kasper w/ 5, then Valpo transfer WR Contreras (6'4") with 3.

Defensively, couple of notable tackle leaders from the scrimmage .. good day for Valpo contingent and offense turned defense contingent

Defensive Leaders:
Also noticed that Rubley scrimmaged with the first team. Don't know if it's typical to have QBs moving between strings.

fourthandshort

Also noticed that Rubley scrimmaged with the first team. Don't know if it's typical to have QBs moving between strings.
Good to hear, and I can't imagine they wouldn't rightly want to see Rubley with 1st string, even while maintaining Rittenhouse is the starter until if/when Rubley were to earn the spot. Winkler and Roberson split 50/50 completely, taking turns each day as 1st/2nd ... though that was summer OTAs and then August camp. And Winkler was the clear starter. Rittenhouse only started because of injury. I think this all makes sense how they are handling it for spring ball.

Birdswin

Looking at the passing stats - Rubley average completion 5.2 yds, Makuh average 7.2 yds, and Rittenhouse average 9.5 yds. I like QBs who throw downfield more - which helps to open up everything else.

Dmills

Defensive Leaders:
9 tackles for Kaplan? Wow. Sounds like he will get ST time, at a minimum. Probably more.

Total Red

Staff member
Fellow TE fans on here - you know who you are: while technically a "slot" in positional vernacular, the potential of what this dude might be able to do for us schematically in tandem with the conventional stuff has me drooling.
I'm trying to contain my drool lest I be moved to a quiet corner of Westminster Village, but point taken.

If Presson is considered a slot receiver then it might be considered the deepest position on the team. I'm all about getting the best players on the field. In 2022 we had two talented TE's in Taula and Deming, so they sometimes played together. We may see two slots this fall - 2 slots, 1 WR, 1 TE and 1RB. Presson/Kasper/Carr/Donovan - all options on the table.

Old-timers can remember when college TE's faithfully lined up next to the Tackle and blocked far more than they caught passes. That has changed and Presson certainly isn't the first to do it. TE Cam Grandy didn't always line up next to the Tackle, but no one called him a Slot or a WR if he moved around. In my mind Presson is still a TE but I won't fight the designation. If they want to call him a slot, I'll play along.

Total Red

Staff member
Here's my prediction on the QB position for the 2024 season.

Btw, I normally keep this kind of thing behind a paywall for my Platinum Subscriber*** but I'm feeling generous today so you get if for free.

The QB position will not be decided in the spring. The QB position will not be decided in August camp. BOTH Rittenhouse and Rubley will play in the first half at Iowa. The 2nd half of the Iowa game is the soonest I see us going with 1 QB. It could take even longer.

A starter will be named before the end of the non-con portion of the schedule. That's the latest time one will be named. We won't platoon all season. They will want the starter to have at least 1 full game under his belt (EIU) before North Dakota St. comes to town Sept. 28.

So that's my 2024 QB prediction. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Total Red

Staff member
***You will notice that I said Platinum Subscriber and not subscribers. I only have one. I talked my gf into buying a subscription in exchange for me buying all of her Mary Kay inventory. I'm not sure I came out ahead in dollars and cents but my skin tone has never been better.

Top Bottom