Portal Guys We Should Consider

cubird

Thought Ryan was better than Lieb this year. Apparently, he thought Lieb has higher ceiling.

Dmills

Would be "ironic", I guess is he word, to get Jordan Davis out of the portal, and then also the guy who took his job and "forced" him into the portal. Essegian can definitely shoot.
I was coming here to share that Essegian was in the portal. Didn't realize how much he fell off this past season. Muller recruited him out of high school. I wouldn't be surprised if we checked in.

MadBird

I was coming here to share that Essegian was in the portal. Didn't realize how much he fell off this past season. Muller recruited him out of high school. I wouldn't be surprised if we checked in.
Have wondered all year if there was more to it than "basketball", because he still seemed to be able to score, altho not like last year. He would come in some games and hit a quick bucket or two and everyone would get all charged up that he was gonna breakout, but never really happened. But he was on a very short leash - there was a notable game where he went in and made a bonehead defensive play right off and then he came out within like 10 seconds, in and then out. Had the feeling Gard was trying to "toughen" him up or something. Of course, Storr replaced the scoring so they didn't need him as much. I guess - they did need him, but they just didn't use him.

He fits the Pedon "profile" - midwest kid, shooter, etc. Not sure if Davis' presence helps or hurts or has no effect.

Redbird222

Have wondered all year if there was more to it than "basketball", because he still seemed to be able to score, altho not like last year. He would come in some games and hit a quick bucket or two and everyone would get all charged up that he was gonna breakout, but never really happened. But he was on a very short leash - there was a notable game where he went in and made a bonehead defensive play right off and then he came out within like 10 seconds, in and then out. Had the feeling Gard was trying to "toughen" him up or something. Of course, Storr replaced the scoring so they didn't need him as much. I guess - they did need him, but they just didn't use him.

He fits the Pedon "profile" - midwest kid, shooter, etc. Not sure if Davis' presence helps or hurts or has no effect.
I don't see Davis being a big contributor next year. He is ok defensively but he really cannot shoot. Everyone points to the offense looking better when Burford was hurt but let's not forget who else was not playing after breaking back into the starting role.

While we can point to Burford and Pointdexter having poor shooting years vs their prior years, Davis's shooting last year is reflective of his entire career.

We need to recruit another guard, a wing, and stretch 4 in my opinion. We can all hope Pence makes the leap and helps with the wing, but that is not a given. I see Foster and Walker as 5s and not stretch 4s ... both offensively and defensively. There will be times we can play them together but we need an experienced, athletic 4. The incoming freshman may develop into that 4 but I would not count on immediate contributions from those players.

I think another Freshman and 2 players with 2 years would also be good. We still dont have anyine in next years junior class. I am assuming Sissoko's position plus another 2 players will leave. I can't imagine no more movement.

ChiRedbirdfan

"He's got a talent deficit"
how dare you say that..
"No, I would prefer not to do that (push players out), ever." :( Nice Guys Finish Last.
You seem like a Redbird fan that is tired of losing or would rather win (however you want to frame it) and understands how the system has worked for many years. You are a rare (Red) bird.

ChiRedbirdfan

not more than basketballl, IMO, but who knows other than Gard/Essegian. Gard getting $4MM a year wants to keep his job and the pressure to win at Madison is there. Gard is playing the players (klesmit>essegian) that he believes can win now, IMO. The Badgers Essegian and emerging Storr transfer situations are great examples of both sides of the fence in today's NIL/Portal world. One player is leaving because he has been passed up and the other is a team's star likely leaving for more $$$$s

MadBird

I don't see Davis being a big contributor next year. He is ok defensively but he really cannot shoot. Everyone points to the offense looking better when Burford was hurt but let's not forget who else was not playing after breaking back into the starting role.

While we can point to Burford and Pointdexter having poor shooting years vs their prior years, Davis's shooting last year is reflective of his entire career.

We need to recruit another guard, a wing, and stretch 4 in my opinion. We can all hope Pence makes the leap and helps with the wing, but that is not a given. I see Foster and Walker as 5s and not stretch 4s ... both offensively and defensively. There will be times we can play them together but we need an experienced, athletic 4. The incoming freshman may develop into that 4 but I would not count on immediate contributions from those players.

I think another Freshman and 2 players with 2 years would also be good. We still dont have anyine in next years junior class. I am assuming Sissoko's position plus another 2 players will leave. I can't imagine no more movement.
I brought up Davis not because of his talent and contributions, but because I wonder if he and Essegian might have "personal" issues due to Essegian taking Davis' job at UW last year. If they're okay playing together, no big deal. If there's some lingering animosity there, maybe Essegian wouldn't consider coming here.

ChiRedbirdfan

Essegian has p5 written all over him

ChiRedbirdfan

You are probably right but he went from 11.7 to 3.2 points per game. I am hoping that may turn some off as well as potentially more playing time here
fyi...his fall-off was not due to diminished skills/resulkts rather he was recruited over , despite huge frosh year, and did not get any meaningful pt this year.

Dmills

Bradley fans hate Conor Enright. It would be quite something if we picked him up. It really only becomes a possibility if we lose Banks or JK.

Top Bottom