Post-Season Bids

dpdoughbird06

I like it. They should bump the "last in" from their conference.
Distributing bids by conference ranking rather than by individual resumes would make too much sense. 9th ranked conference automatically gets two bids to fight over and distribute as they see fit? ACC capped at 5, with fifth-best team praying an NC State doesn’t steal their bid? How dare they!

dpdoughbird06

This is why you need to schedule better. ISU doesn’t understand that concept.
“Schedule better” for us means take buy games we’ll probably lose, cross our fingers we beat someone worthwhile at our tourney and hopefully don’t trip over a game against fellow mid-majors or Heaven forbid a low-major.

NET is a fun equalizer until they go right back to ignoring it in favor of the arbitrary quadrants. Every time a mid-major figures out how to play the game, the rules change again - or are simply ignored.

ISUBird

“Schedule better” for us means take buy games we’ll probably lose, cross our fingers we beat someone worthwhile at our tourney and hopefully don’t trip over a game against fellow mid-majors or Heaven forbid a low-major.

NET is a fun equalizer until they go right back to ignoring it in favor of the arbitrary quadrants. Every time a mid-major figures out how to play the game, the rules change again - or are simply ignored.
I don't know when we scheduled SEMO, but not scheduling teams with a bad NET would help.

Dmills

I think the best we can realistically hope for is a top 11 seed for Drake, Indiana State in first 4 OUT (resulting in a #1 NIT seed if that is still a thing), and Bradley to the NIT.

ChiRedbirdfan

My guess is SYCAMORES make it. It is a coin toss at this point.

That big ten tourney was fun to watch. No one bubble team did a big run in that tourney so that should help

Aggie

When cbs went to commercial break they didn’t mention Indy state as one of the four still sweating it out.

ISU86

Is Big East one of the conference guaranteed two NIT bids; and (if so) would the conference still be guaranteed two since St. John's said "thanks, but no thanks"?

Dmills

Is Big East one of the conference guaranteed two NIT bids; and (if so) would the conference still be guaranteed two since St. John's said "thanks, but no thanks"?
I think they are one of those conferences but they absolutely should not get 2 guaranteed bids if they decline. I'd imagine they still do. At least 6 power 6 teams declined invitations.

Last edited:

Manchester Matt

Sure looks like it with 16-17 Xavier getting in.

Last edited:

Dmills

So my understanding is yes, they are guaranteed two teams, unless they run out of teams to invite. The PAC-12 only has 1 team but at least 1 declined (Washington). It is likely that the rest declined and had already moved on to the offseason.

ChiRedbirdfan

I think they are one of those conferences but they absolutely should not get 2 guaranteed bids if they decline. I'd imagine they still do. At least 6 power 6 teams declined invitations.
If a conf has a member that receives a “bid” and declines the “bid” that sure sounds like a “bid” to me? Maybe the big east is guaranteed to have two conference participants vs just having 2 guaranteed “bids”.

CaliRdBrd

The other teams have to want to schedule ISUr. And what is our NET? We have to win more to get a better schedule. It is a two way street.
I don’t know. I think it’s much harder for a quality mid-major to get a P5 to schedule them than it is for a low-mid. Look at Texas Southern…every year they play a killer non-con.
ISU is now a low-mid. Should be easy for us to get P5’s to schedule us.

Hamdonger

Considering the CBI could not land sixteen teams, I am pretty sure any MVC had been afforded the opportunity (if they wanted to afford it).

But hey, Chicago State is third-level dancing!
Dancing at 12-18. 'Lil bit speechless. That's like taking a date, who has no teeth, to the prom! Politically incorrect, I'm sorry. Just kidding...but not really.

Dmills

CIT just seems awful. It is back after a 1 year hiatus. I wonder how the financial aspect compares to the CBI. I understand this gives some of the low majors who were screwed by the NIT a chance, but I think the CBI could try to just run a 24 or 32 team tournament and it would be better. There is supposed to be 16 teams in the CIT and they currently have 9 (including 11-22 Alabama A&M) with probably a few TBA.

This might be outdated with the revival of the tournament but a very interesting note from Wiki. I knew the P6 weren't eligible but didn't know A-10, AAC, MWC, or ... CUSA. I wouldn't be surprised if CUSA is an eligible league now.
The tournament is oriented toward teams that did not get selected for the NCAA Division I men's basketball tournament or National Invitation Tournament (NIT) that reside outside of the "major conferences" (defined by CollegeInsider.com as the Power Five conferences, Atlantic 10 Conference, American Athletic Conference, Big East Conference, Conference USA and Mountain West Conference).

I'd assume the committee selects from teams included on this note from CollegeInsider.com Mid Major top 25 poll
NOTE: The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Coastal Athletic, Conference USA, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast, Western Athletic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom