Porter to DePaul?

TBS_20

He won 20 games this year, is his seat warm? They are going to make the tourney, probably.
Reading their message board, everyone wants him gone on the fan side. But, I agree with you, he's progressed. They must have very high standards. We'd be giving him an 8 year deal.

MadBird

I'm really not a Porter fan. Don't like his style, his "act". Just me.

His 3 year record at OK is 54-43, 20-34 in the conference. He's finished 7th, 9th and 9th in the conference. Hasn't really "turned it around". Now, if I'm being consistent, I'd say it's too early to send him packing, give him another year or two, but, you know, lots of people get antsy by the end of say, year 2 even! ;)

Moving to the SEC next year, not sure if you'd say it's a tougher conference than Big 12 or not. But won't be easier.

gobirds85

The big $$$$ programs want to win NOW!!! Under today's bball landscape, you win now or you get booted. These programs have the $$$ to let coaches go at the drop of a hat. There is no more building a program. It's all about winning and winning NOW.

Porter will have a very difficult time reviving the corpse that is Depaul bball. Anyone would.

fdbird83

Last edited:

Bird Friend

So last year he was going to Notre Dame. This year DePaul . . . both rumors before the season ended. I’ll believe it when I see it, but count me as one who thinks somebody’s throwing a rumor out there just to get e reaction. I find it hard to believe DePaul would be talking to another school’s coach during the season and the coach would be talking about it with his current school. Can a coach really be that dumb? Never mind, I know the answer to that . . . but is Porter that dumb?

CaliRdBrd

Very logical from a lot of standpoints. Harder to see when you take DePaul's recent history into account, but just given Porter's playing and coaching history, a Catholic university in Chicago playing in the Big East makes sense. Gotta believe some of the donors would like to see it. 3 years at OK, never 20 wins (altho he may get there this year yet), losing conference records. Big 12 is tough. Not that the Big East isn't. Porter's 55 years old. Final stop at DePaul one way or the other??
Yep. Plus the bar is pretty low at DePaul these days. It’d be easy to come in there and do a little better.

Hamdonger

What else is Porter going to say? He can't say nothing and he can't say "yep, rumors are true. I'm thinking of jumping ship before the Big 12 tournament even starts"
Depaul is a job for an up-and-comer. It's SUCH a step down in job status I'd be amazed if Porter ever had that convo. I see him retiring before wearing a Depaul shirt. Unless they offered him title and deed, to say, the Moon. If I'm wrong, I'll find some moon dust on ebay and eat it. Quinn, that was a pretty firm response from Porter. Of course, no basketball coach would ever say he wasn't interested when he was interested. Nope. No way.

In saying that, I still believe...and I'm certifiably nuts...that somebody could turn that thing around if they had resources.

DWRedbird

Depaul is a job for an up-and-comer. It's SUCH a step down in job status I'd be amazed if Porter ever had that convo. I see him retiring before wearing a Depaul shirt. Unless they offered him title and deed, to say, the Moon. If I'm wrong, I'll find some moon dust on ebay and eat it. Quinn, that was a pretty firm response from Porter. Of course, no basketball coach would ever say he wasn't interested when he was interested. Nope. No way.

In saying that, I still believe...and I'm certifiably nuts...that somebody could turn that thing around if they had resources.

Plus Porter isn't going to tell Oklahoma fans that he is looking to bail before their season is even really over.

As I said earlier, I think Poter is the only P5 coach it makes sense to go from a contending school to Depaul. He is a big Chicago guy with tons of connections both inside of and outside of the basketball world up there and in Illinois, and I think he would love to coach at a privat catholic institution again.

Were I to hazard a guess, Porter probably stays were he is, and Depaul goes with a mid-major coach who has done fairly well, like Brian Wardle or Devries

ISUBird

Plus Porter isn't going to tell Oklahoma fans that he is looking to bail before their season is even really over.

As I said earlier, I think Poter is the only P5 coach it makes sense to go from a contending school to Depaul. He is a big Chicago guy with tons of connections both inside of and outside of the basketball world up there and in Illinois, and I think he would love to coach at a privat catholic institution again.

Were I to hazard a guess, Porter probably stays were he is, and Depaul goes with a mid-major coach who has done fairly well, like Brian Wardle or Devries
If I were a potential DePaul coach I would want them to lay out their exact expectations and tell me how long I could without a winning season before I was fired. It will be difficult to get started there.

cubird

St. Louis Dispatch mentioned Devries as a possible Ford replacement at SLU.

MadBird

St. Louis Dispatch mentioned Devries as a possible Ford replacement at SLU.
Interesting, maybe is a "hope" of SLU and/or the paper. I thought maybe McCollum would be a fit there if for some reason MoState isn't calling. Agree with 222, DeVries can probably do better. Altho lure of A10 isn't chopped liver.

SgtHulka

I'm really not a Porter fan. Don't like his style, his "act". Just me.

His 3 year record at OK is 54-43, 20-34 in the conference. He's finished 7th, 9th and 9th in the conference. Hasn't really "turned it around". Now, if I'm being consistent, I'd say it's too early to send him packing, give him another year or two, but, you know, lots of people get antsy by the end of say, year 2 even! ;)

Moving to the SEC next year, not sure if you'd say it's a tougher conference than Big 12 or not. But won't be easier.
We already had a full card of heels. Energetic all American boy was the only opening. The cage matches between him and Greg The Shocker (his signature submission hold was fearful) were epic

Top Bottom