Illinois State to the MAC?

B

BirdGrad2011

I've never claimed that we were equal to or better than the MAC. We've lost the last 3 meetings. You have to go back to 2012 when we went up to E. Mich and won 31-14 to find a victory against the MAC. I have said that there isn't much of a difference. If you put the teams in generic uniforms and neutral stadiums, fans wouldn't be able to pick out the MVFC from the MAC, so it's not an eye test - quality of play sort of thing.

My first year as a student at Illinois State was 1978. I'll bet you can't guess how many MAC teams we played that year. 6. Over half of the 11-game schedule consisted of MAC Conference opponents and Illinois State competed as a D-I Independent. This was prior to FBS and FCS so it was D-I, D-II, or D-III. Yes, we competed at the Highest Level, but we didn't do it very well. We went 1-5 against the MAC, beating only E. Mich. Sound familiar? Fans were so excited to be competing against the MAC that someone rearranged the letters on the marquee outside the football stadium to say "ISU Sucks." It was hard to argue. The FB team was 0-9 at the time. We weren't competitive at that level, but fans want to circle back anyway. Why not, most of you didn't live through any of that.

I know I go overboard on history but it's surprising how often it repeats itself.

With all due respect. 2024 is not 1978. We’ve seen teams not particularly dominate FCS then do well in FBS pretty regularly. Hell, App State was probably a decade late after their dominance and has done very well. Also, we beat them last time we played. Just saying.

topiarydan

Boise State, Buffalo, Central Florida, Troy State, USF, Appalachian State, Marshall, Western Kentucky, Texas State, UMass, Texas San Antonio, Coastal Carolina, Sam Houston State, Middle Tennessee State, South Alabama, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, UNC Charlotte, Old Dominion Jacksonville State, Liberty, James Madison and now Kennesaw State all moved up (Kennesaw to Conference USA) So who is next? Montana, Idaho (possible back up)

redbirds2000

Just got back from the Enterprise Center. Funny part is that I'm not that upset. Feels normal. This is the basketball program we're so worried about harming in the MAC?
This basketball program MIGHT have a chance in the MAC.

ISUBird

The current FBS format is a timebomb.

Aggie

My thinking is very much along these lines. In MAC football, we'd have rivalries with old rivals C.Michigan, Ball State, NIU, but really you'd have to go back quite a ways to remember we were in a conference with these guys. Or remember ISU's big upset win over ranked Akron back in the last century, in the 70's. You'd have to really know your football to know Miami is the "cradle of coaches". ETC. I have long contended for the average fan, especially the average current student there's no functional difference between the MVFC Dakota rivals, SIU, Mo.State and Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Kent State, etc. Or Appalachian State, South Alabama, Sam Houston State or any of those you wanna bring up. On the negative side to me are the weeknight home games.

I'd be much more interested in bringing the Dakotas into the MVC for all sports, cementing the relationship with them and UNI and Mo.State and SIU for future planning. Make that relationship solid and go forward into the great unknown of college football together. You've got arguably the best FCS conference, keep it together whatever the future holds. Two division MVC allowing the non-football schools to stay in the other sports.
My thinking exactly. When the big two or three conferences break off independent of the NCAA I think our chances of staying with the Dakotas and making our future path together.

WoodlandWarrior

My thinking exactly. When the big two or three conferences break off independent of the NCAA I think our chances of staying with the Dakotas and making our future path together.
I was a student during that win over Akron. Harold Quessiar (sp)? was our quarterback.

StLRedbird

I’ll take it. We’re nowhere close to competing in Basketball. Wagon to Football.
Welcome aboard, brother! BIG RED CIRCLE around Sep 28th. Home conference opener against NDSU. Huge yardstick game for a team that might be verry good. Definitely a rare opportunity to hang a W on the herd. I hope we're smart enough to make it family day.

StLRedbird

I guess I don't assume the grass is greener in MAC than in MVFC, for football or all other sports. My openness to this is based on probabiity that MVFC will start to break up at some point. And I do want to be ready to make a move when those signs are showing.

But as I said at the start of this thread ... I honestly don't have enough perspective or understanding as many on this forum do. But I tend to listen closest to people who see this from both sides with an open mind ... the ones that usually go scorched earth with everything about ISU athletics sucks approach .. they're hard to take seriously even if they do know more than me .. they don't seem objective.

Put another way, if we weren't in the MVFC, I'd be far less content with playing at FCS level .. even while loving the 24 team playoff approach over FBS. Bottom line, I'm happy where we are in MVFC, but don't want to be left behind either.

View attachment 1428
The problem I have with this is that you don't get to choose your timing. If you've made the decision that it's the right course of action, you pursue opportunities as they present themselves. Is it a bigger risk to get caught rushing the exit when the fire alarm has sounded?

B

BirdGrad2011

The problem I have with this is that you don't get to choose your timing. If you've made the decision that it's the right course of action, you pursue opportunities as they present themselves. Is it a bigger risk to get caught rushing the exit when the fire alarm has sounded?
My ask is that we do our due diligence and look out for ourselves and only ourselves. We do not want to get left behind again or further.

StLRedbird

My ask is that we do our due diligence and look out for ourselves and only ourselves. We do not want to get left behind again or further.
Agree completely.

I expect you've seen this, but here's a youtube of the MAC commissioner discussing the addition of UMass and what they're looking for in a 14th school. Conversation starts @ the 1:20 mark. We fit the bill in every aspect except that our football program is classified @ FCS, which they would prefer not to dip into.

So there it is. Do we pursue this or not? My grandfather's voice is echoing in my ears. "We're burnin' daylight, boys."

Link to podcast w MAC commissioner

REALBird

Welcome aboard, brother! BIG RED CIRCLE around Sep 28th. Home conference opener against NDSU. Huge yardstick game for a team that might be verry good. Definitely a rare opportunity to hang a W on the herd. I hope we're smart enough to make it family day.
At minimum if MAC is possibly looking at both, a very good game and close Win by ISU would be an impressive audition for both teams.

I’m of the belief that if you’re not at the party, you can’t be asked to go out on the dance floor. We’ve tried to hitch our wagon to being a basketball school and well it’s been almost 30 years and countless coaches since our last NCAA appearance.

Time to do something different. With TV contracts, NIL money and an expanding playoff structure we could fall flat on our faces, or we could be James Madison. But you never know until you take that leap of faith! 🙏🏽

topiarydan

In this day and age if I was the MVC i'd petition the NCAA to get rid of some of the archaic rules on stadium size/attendance and go up to FBS - we could be on par with MAC. Sure some schools like Indy State, Murray State, etc might opt for Pioneer, but heck if it can somehow get us to poach a Tulsa, Arkansas State and NIU/Ball State from MAC then I'd love to see it. If not then jumping to MAC and playing Miami Ohio, Toledo, Ball State, WMich and NIU sound a lot more appeasing than playing South Dakota, etc,

Bender

After the initial schedule announcement had Homecoming against Missouri St the NDSU game now has that designation

ISUBird

In this day and age if I was the MVC i'd petition the NCAA to get rid of some of the archaic rules on stadium size/attendance and go up to FBS - we could be on par with MAC. Sure some schools like Indy State, Murray State, etc might opt for Pioneer, but heck if it can somehow get us to poach a Tulsa, Arkansas State and NIU/Ball State from MAC then I'd love to see it. If not then jumping to MAC and playing Miami Ohio, Toledo, Ball State, WMich and NIU sound a lot more appeasing than playing South Dakota, etc,
That already happened last year.

B

BirdGrad2011

Already been done. It’s now just a fee. IMO the MVFC explores making the jump together. If someone doesn’t want to then goodbye.

Total Red

Staff member
IMO the MVFC explores making the jump together.
TODAY- WE'RE OFF!
Simon Pegg Escape GIF by Working Title

6 MONTHS FROM NOW
Lets Go Magic GIF by DefyTV

2 YEARS FROM NOW
the worlds end lie GIF

ChiRedbirdfan

I believe the ncaa dropped the stadium requirement when they imposed the 5 mil fee. A good trade off for some universities as 5 mil is a lot cheaper than attendance based stadium additions.

edit..sorry just saw the other post that already stated same

Last edited:
Top Bottom