vs Missouri State (7-11) - Wednesday, 2/28/2024 - 7 pm - ESPN+

dpdoughbird06

Lottich or Powell? Well ya gotta bring more than 60mph heat! If it's Powell I'm afraid we're gonna have to confront him next time he's in CEFbird. Ummmm, I'll be right behind you...but no need to look back.
Lottich. He reminded me of Frank Thomas the way he spit on the first three pitches without ever moving, then calmly deposited the fourth to parts unknown far beyond the CF fence. Had I been pitching at home, it may have landed on the Edens…

I’m not sure I ever threw a fastball that touched 60.

Aggie

Getting 10 and 10 by your two forwards is just like Rick and Hank back here. This is huge. Poindexter is playing like I think everyone thought he could. He doesn’t have the pressure of one mistake and it is the bench. He knows he is in and I think that knowing that he is one of the keys actually takes the pressure off him. The freshman, well there was multiple reasons he was voted Mr Basketball in his home state in high school. He is a winner and he has infected everyone else with the “we can win this” attitude. Banks, I actually like him out of control at times. Places pressure on the other team. Good example last play of first half. Walker, he comes in and does what he has to. Luke, likewise is playing his role. Middle of January it looked like this thing was coming apart. The injuries might have actually helped. It took pressure off and also put pressure on for a core to come together and perform. And, they did. Last few games are what redbird basketball is supposed to look like.

Phantom

Well that was a thing. Up 10 and a chance to step on the gas and put it far away with 3 mins left but we gave up a run and nearly the game. Then we didnt. First 2/3 of the season we didn't know how we'd play on a given night. This past month its more we don't know how we're gonna play in a given minute. I still SMH a little bit though when, although coulda/woulda/shoulda is a waste of time (as I said on Twitter last night), it's easy to fall into that trap when you realize how easily we could have 22-23 wins right now.

But oh well. Only thing that matters is the next game and being in a spot to head into STL above .500 overall and .500 in the league is a hell of a turnaround from where we were at.

DoubleDeuce

Well that was a thing. Up 10 and a chance to step on the gas and put it far away with 3 mins left but we gave up a run and nearly the game. Then we didnt. First 2/3 of the season we didn't know how we'd play on a given night. This past month its more we don't know how we're gonna play in a given minute. I still SMH a little bit though when, although coulda/woulda/shoulda is a waste of time (as I said on Twitter last night), it's easy to fall into that trap when you realize how easily we could have 22-23 wins right now.

But oh well. Only thing that matters is the next game and being in a spot to head into STL above .500 overall and .500 in the league is a hell of a turnaround from where we were at.
Coach mentioned that the guys continue to learn and will from this game too. You spend a whole season as a team learning to win and hopefully have it together for the run in March. Let's hope we retain enough of this team so we don't have to reset this whole process next year.

Phantom

Coach mentioned that the guys continue to learn and will from this game too. You spend a whole season as a team learning to win and hopefully have it together for the run in March. Let's hope we retain enough of this team so we don't have to reset this whole process next year.
That's the concern. While trying not to look past Sunday, the chances of us keeping all 3 of Myles, Johnny and Chase are...slim. But we'll have all summer to walk on those eggshells. Let's take care of Valpo. For once. :cool:

DoubleDeuce

That's the concern. While trying not to look past Sunday, the chances of us keeping all 3 of Myles, Johnny and Chase are...slim. But we'll have all summer to walk on those eggshells. Let's take care of Valpo. For once. :cool:
It helps that it seems the guys stuck together as a family even as it seemed to us that everything was in a tailspin a month ago. Human nature is to start blaming each other and splintering the team cohesion...seems like they might be in it together to win it. On the other side of the coin, NIL money talks these days...can't blame a kid for cashing in.

Phantom

It helps that it seems the guys stuck together as a family even as it seemed to us that everything was in a tailspin a month ago. Human nature is to start blaming each other and splintering the team cohesion...seems like they might be in it together to win it. On the other side of the coin, NIL money talks these days...can't blame a kid for cashing in.
Both things can be true, unfortunately. This team is gelling, no doubt about it. And it's great in the here & now, but can it be sustained? That's the snafu waiting to happen. Myles was a well-regarded guy in the portal coming into this season and he's doubled down with a strong year. Chase has the ability to be another Dinma or better, and if Johnny was at first being overlooked because of his height, becoming a conference FoY candidate, hitting GW shots and pouring in 31 on the road against T25 teams will get him a lot of attention. Let's just hope the dog treats and sage work their magic.

Moreorless

KLew and Myles have had double doubles together in 3 of the last 7 games.

Think about that one. I have a hard time recalling a player having a double double 3x in a year vs 2 teammates doing it TOGETHER 3x in 7 games.

Part of it is good play by those 2 but besides Phil and Jackie, when have we had front line players

1. Talented enough
2. Fit enough
3. Smart enough to avoid foul trouble

To play 28 to 35 minutes a game consistently

JK is in the spotlight and rightfully so, but Mal's renewed confidence and the consistent play of the front court have been huge contributors to the recent play.

I am going to give Jud props or whoever put in this zone with man to man concepts. We were consistently playing the high ball screen poorly. I was VERY critical of it. It often led to uncontested layups or a small guard being posted down low. We generally start in this zone and the guards switch between the screener up top but have the luxury of a big behind them. The wings press enough if someone is on the outside but are ready to roll back to inside to help. The genius part of this is at some point our guards move back to a man to man and follow cutters through the lane and it literally morphs into a man to man defense. There is generally a good chunk of the clock that has been used when this happens and we play man to man for a much shorter period of time.

1. I don't know if everyone can appreciate the communication and intelligence that is required by a team to do that
2. Opposing teams are still trying to figure the best way to attack this. Some are not bringing their big and probably best screener up high any more because it does not create the same mismatches.
3. This helps smaller players like Johnny not having to bust through screens for 38 minutes. It has to be less demanding physically
4. Our 3 point defense has improved dramatically during this stretch. I know there are times when open 3s are being missed but it is also who is shooting the 3 on the opposing team
5. I think the best way to beat it may be a tall wing that can pick and pop to take a shot against a shorter but somewhat contesting defender. Drake scares me for this reason with DeVries but we don't have an answer for him anyway in a straight man to man. Avilia from Indy State had open shots in the game we played them but was not good.

What are everyone's thoughts on this new defense that they have been playing?
I think this new look defense is giving teams fits to figure out. It’s confusing to opponents to figure out if it’s a straight up zone or not. Seem like the staff in jumping to it during critical stretches of close games too. The players all are seemingly learning it on the fly and that’s a testament to coaching.

SgtHulka

i have not been as down on Banks as many on this board. Tonight, for God's sake, sit that guy down! He was a one man wrecking crew, for the wrong side.

Some very bad decisions down the stretch, but in the end, the boys got it done. Johnny K, this time last year, was leading another Redbird team to Wisconsin's state title. He's playing with that spirit down the stretch again this year, Mr. March!, even tho it's not March yet.

And who knows for sure what play was called in the time out, but let's give props to Coach P or Jud or whoever for having enough confidence in the young man to put the ball in his hands! Assuming that was the play that was called.

Was wondering about the question asked up above about when was the last time we were on the winning end of a buzzer beater. Feels good.
He's been up and down like most of the team this year, but with a thin bench what are we to do? In a healthy world, Burford would have consume his minutes late. I actually thought it was one of his better games. His two steals early in the second half helped set the tone and turn the game our way. 6 assists and 1 TO for your primary ball handler is pretty good too.

MadBird

He's been up and down like most of the team this year, but with a thin bench what are we to do? In a healthy world, Burford would have consume his minutes late. I actually thought it was one of his better games. His two steals early in the second half helped set the tone and turn the game our way. 6 assists and 1 TO for your primary ball handler is pretty good too.
Well, I pointed out I have not been that down on him for most of the year. But end of game, geez man, slow down some, get control, value the ball, etc. etc. That's more my beef, I shoulda been more precise, I worry when the game's on the line. He's an iron man, for sure, and has been at okay most of the time (just okay). But seems to me he could/should be steadier "down the stretch". Correct, w/o Burford in there, really no one else to suck up the minutes.

dpdoughbird06

Watch JK make a perfect fake step to sell a quick roll to the basket that his defender bit on just long enough to free him to curl away towards the sideline.

His basketball instincts have been off the charts all year; this is just another subtle example. At 6’1” - or whatever he is - this is how to create just enough space to get off a shot, which he made look easy.

Manchester Matt

Watch JK make a perfect fake step to sell a quick roll to the basket that his defender bit on just long enough to free him to curl away towards the sideline.

His basketball instincts have been off the charts all year; this is just another subtle example. At 6’1” - or whatever he is - this is how to create just enough space to get off a shot, which he made look easy.
Everything about the execution of that play was perfect. Great screen the screener action. Guess we can score on a BLOB after all.

Phantom

This. I said that last night...one of the best parts about the shot. He does so many subtle things like that which enable his playmaking.

PurpleRedbird

I had 4 takeaways from the last play.
  • I love that there were multiple options possible on the play. Can't remember the last time we actually had an inbounds play with actual options.
  • Watching the replay, I loved Lewis' reaction. You could see him just looking around wanting to take in the moment. I'm assuming it was hitting him that this was his last game at Redbird Arena but can't be sure. I will always remember how Lewis stuck with the program during the coaching change. Reminds me of Strawbridge from Evansville who did the same thing.
  • I loved how after the shot went in Mal immediately ran back to get on defense. He only took about 3 steps that way, but he was the only one I saw do that. A little thing but was great to see that awareness to play through the horn.
  • Foster showed so much emotion! While a very articulate person, sometimes he seems so into the game that he doesn't show that type of joy. Was so great to see.
I know there is a lot of talk about "oh this person is going to go into the portal" and "we want this person back and not this one". I just hope we are drinking in that this last month has been (to me) the most enjoyable ISU basketball I have seen in a number of years. The transfer rules are what they are. Just enjoy the moment.

DaveBird10

Everything about the execution of that play was perfect. Great screen the screener action. Guess we can score on a BLOB after all.
Myles, might have gotten away with a Bear Hug on the screen but Dana owed us one from the hop, skip and jump that Jerrod Dixon had 6 years ago. You watch Johnny play and he's just so smart. He's a baller.

Dmills

• I love that there were multiple options possible on the play. Can't remember the last time we actually had an inbounds play with actual options.
  • Watching the replay, I loved Lewis' reaction. You could see him just looking around wanting to take in the moment. I'm assuming it was hitting him that this was his last game at Redbird Arena but can't be sure. I will always remember how Lewis stuck with the program during the coaching change. Reminds me of Strawbridge from Evansville who did the same thing.
  • I loved how after the shot went in Mal immediately ran back to get on defense. He only took about 3 steps that way, but he was the only one I saw do that. A little thing but was great to see that awareness to play through the horn.
  • Foster showed so much emotion! While a very articulate person, sometimes he seems so into the game that he doesn't show that type of joy. Was so great to see.
I know there is a lot of talk about "oh this person is going to go into the portal" and "we want this person back and not this one". I just hope we are drinking in that this last month has been (to me) the most enjoyable ISU basketball I have seen in a number of years. The transfer rules are what they are. Just enjoy the moment.
Speaking of reactions, what the heck was Banks doing 😂 Did a little fist pump but otherwise didn't react nor get back on defense.

TBus_Birds

Myles, might have gotten away with a Bear Hug on the screen but Dana owed us one from the hop, skip and jump that Jerrod Dixon had 6 years ago. You watch Johnny play and he's just so smart. He's a baller.
The universe owed Johnny and the Birds a break after the head-scratching no-call on his corner 3 in the first half

DaveBird10

Speaking of reactions, what the heck was Banks doing 😂 Did a little fist pump but otherwise didn't react nor get back on defense.
I was gonna say look at Banks reaction, just goes and walks off by himself. Starts hugging Pedon and the assistant coaches. In those moments you just go with it, idk what my reaction was other then jumping up and down in my seat.

Top Bottom