vs UNI (9-7) - Wednesday, 2/21/2024 - 7 PM - ESPN+

Manchester Matt

After my long bout with alcoholism, depression and severe anxiety; this was my first game back in years at redbird arena. I loved thr atmosphere especially the student section. I think we can make a real run in March. This league is ripe for the picking !!

Happy to be back all !!
Welcome back! All the best as you continue to move on from all of that.

Trey_Guidry4three

It is very impressive to see Lewis and Foster rebound. We have not had a 2 some like them in a long time. Foster is somewhat like Leroy Watkins only with a little bit more offensive game. He is also somewhat like Hank Cornley who used to back people down like Foster does. Fun to watch!!

I thought against Indiana State our 3 point defense was very fortunate. They missed many open 3's. UNI went 4 for 20 and I thought this time it had a great deal to with our D. Our matchup zone/man was very good. Born went 4 for 16.

Turnovers in the last 5 minutes were an issue. That can be corrected. I was hoping Luke would come in for Banks sooner than he did. Luke is 6'6" and can see over the traps much better than Banks. He is also a very good FT shooter.

Onward to P town. Spread it SLADE!
Agree with the rebounding comment but to put Foster in the same sentence as LeRoy... come on that's like saying Fieldcrest could beat Normal Community!! Ridiculous

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Great win. But we are only playing 7 deep (Chase played a few minutes to make 8). UNI had 10 players with more than 10 minutes. At some point that is going to catch up with us.

I know we have some injuries, but man.

DougSutton

Great win. But we are only playing 7 deep (Chase played a few minutes to make 8). UNI had 10 players with more than 10 minutes. At some point that is going to catch up with us.

Maybe not in the regular season but it definitely will if we hope to make a run in St. Louis, especially if we're in the play in round but even without that. 2 games in 2 days with a short rotation will impact a lot of things.

WoodlandWarrior

Agree we need a deeper and more capable bench. Next year we need players who can give us meaningful minutes. Realistically, and as of now, guys like Stadelman, Sissoku, Lieb, Blake, and Schmidt can’t. And I hope that Pence stays and develops, but you never know. Malcolm Miller was a superb high school player but never saw the court at ISU.

Phantom

Hats off to Coach and the players on this turnaround. I was convinced we were dead in the water a month ago. Happy to be wrong. We still aren't there yet obviously, still need some pieces and plenty of work...but we've taken a nice, big step.

Last edited:

ScoreboardDotRace

Pops, you must be one proud dad! Your son is absolutely killing it! He was doing everything but knocking down shots earlier...now he's the complete package. If you still follow this board, know that we are soooo glad we get to enjoy him as a Redbird!
I was thinking recently how Pops had said Malachi and Darius just didn’t flow well on the floor together. Not saying he ever implied he didn’t want Darius on the floor or injured by any means, but wow, has Malachi gone off since he’s been sidelined.

DaveBird10

I was thinking recently how Pops had said Malachi and Darius just didn’t flow well on the floor together. Not saying he ever implied he didn’t want Darius on the floor or injured by any means, but wow, has Malachi gone off since he’s been sidelined.
I thought of this exact thing. Never wanted Darius hurt but to see the way Mal has now found it and how the offense has scored 80 points in 3 straight games, there is some thing to it.

Redbird222

Assuming Burford comes back we should be fine depth wise. We shouldn't be playing more the 8 or 9 players this time of the year given our style of play.

DougSutton

I thought of this exact thing. Never wanted Darius hurt but to see the way Mal has now found it and how the offense has scored 80 points in 3 straight games, there is some thing to it.

The main thing I remember when Pops was active however was that Mal was nursing an injury in his shooting hand/wrist and I'm certain that will impact not only shooting but mental acuity. Even navigating through work sitting in front of a computer with pain present impacts cognitive function. It's great seeing him healthy and with his confidence back. His stroke and game reminds me of Trey Guidrey's

TBus_Birds

Other than not handling the press well at the end of the game, the other major concern was only 3 points from the bench players.
Not great.

But on a related note, because I love a deep stat dive, I was wondering when was the last time all 5 of our starters scored in double-figures like they did last night

in any game: vs. Greenville on 12/2/20 (but when you score 177 points, come on...)

vs. D1 opponent: vs. BYU on 11/28/18 (won 92-89 in OT). Starters were Fayne, Jefferson, Copeland, Evans, and Yarbrough

in a 40-minute game: vs. UT-Martin on 12/10/16, won 74-57. Starters were Fayne, Hawkins, McIntosh, Wills, Lee

Useful information? No. But important to know? Also no.

Redbird222

I remember exchanging some post with Pops and talking about running Mal through screens and off the ball movment. I think you are seeing that more now which is probable more suitable to his game.

Birgs

Not great.

But on a related note, because I love a deep stat dive, I was wondering when was the last time all 5 of our starters scored in double-figures like they did last night

in any game: vs. Greenville on 12/2/20 (but when you score 177 points, come on...)

vs. D1 opponent: vs. BYU on 11/28/18 (won 92-89 in OT). Starters were Fayne, Jefferson, Copeland, Evans, and Yarbrough

in a 40-minute game: vs. UT-Martin on 12/10/16, won 74-57. Starters were Fayne, Hawkins, McIntosh, Wills, Lee

Useful information? No. But important to know? Also no.
Worth it just to name-drop: "Fayne, Hawkins, McIntosh, Wills, Lee" - I loved that 5. Them and D.A-P were a slick crew to pull for.

Scipio

Great win. Gutsy. Two questions for me that maybe someone can answer:
1) What is DB’s injury and when can we expect him back. (OK, two questions here).
2. Does anyone have Ben Jacobson’s post game presser. I would like to know what he thinks of this Redbird side.

Baltimore Bird

Trey....Glad you are back. That is a lot to overcome.

Trey Guidry Said.....Agree with the rebounding comment but to put Foster in the same sentence as LeRoy... come on that's like saying Fieldcrest could beat Normal Community!! Ridiculous

FYI....Foster is averaging 12.2 ppg and 7.8 rebounds per game.
Leroy in his last 2 years averaged 10.1 ppg and 4.3 rebounds per game ( he was out-rebounded by Muller) and 9.5 ppg and 5.5 rebounds per game.

Normal Community better look out for Fieldcrest....

MadBird

Enjoyable game, for the most part. Still enough "suspense" that I cursed the TV/Redbirds several times, enough to bring Mrs. MadBird down to the basement sports bar to make sure my blood pressure was not in the danger zone! Those last 4 minutes or so tho . . . .

I was thinking, in terms of working against the press, you gotta take into account our scout team doing the pressing in practice. Maybe not all that effective. Still, scary, to me, for Banks and Kasubke to be the ones bringing the damn ball up, Johnny okay but he's still a freshman, a much improving one, but wow, can look scary at times. But you gotta go with what you got, I guess.

As for Burford and Pointdexter playing together, I respected and appreciated pops being on the board and sharing - but I don't remember anyone complaining or worrying about them playing together last year, so, you know, is it really a problem?

I've griped before about the kinds of guys who seem to give us trouble, and there it was again last night - Duax, Heise, Anderson. 6'6-6'8 wing guys, slashers, tossing in threes. I was looking at them, bunch of Iowegian farm boys, and thinking cripes sake get Pence out there and match up with these dudes! At least, I'm thinking, that's what he should be/could be giving us!

It's hard to know if this team has "turned the corner". They've got some decent games here recently. We're all goo-goo about Johnny K, and he's looking pretty damn good (the matchup with Born was fun to watch). But, just two weeks ago vs. UIC, JK had 2 points and was 1-4 from the field. Against Murray at the end of Jan, 1-6 from the field, 1-4 from range. So hopefully he's found his way and like they say, by this time in the season, freshman ain't freshman anymore.

I'm not as hard on Pedon as some of you have been, but I would say, Chase Walker, what up with him?

DaveBird10

I'm not as hard on Pedon as some of you have been, but I would say, Chase Walker, what up with him?
I think Chase plays more based on teams and matchups on who he can matchup with defensively. Chase played 5-6 huge minutes in the 1st half. 2nd Half Pedon has been shortening the rotation, but in general Chase plays more based on matchups. Anyways Foster had 18-14 last night and Klew had 17-10. The way they were rolling Chase wasn't going to get but a minute or so to give those guys a breather in the 2nd half.

WoodlandWarrior

I hope we make a statement against Bradley and put a scare into them. We didn’t play very well when they beat us at Redbird Arena and I think most of us were very disappointed in that showing. They will likely beat us Saturday, but at least be competitive., I trust we learned from that game. Too many 3s allowed, and Leons and Hannah had good games inside. Hope we make the necessary adjustments.

Top Bottom