vs UNI (9-7) - Wednesday, 2/21/2024 - 7 PM - ESPN+

TBus_Birds

This felt like a "prove it" type of game. Birds more than earned the last two wins but here was a chance to protect home floor against a traditionally strong team above them in the standings. Minus the terrible showing vs. the press, they proved it. Huge strides taken with March approaching. Love it.

Bdub777

Great effort! Nice Win! 44 percent from 3!! We outsmarted a UNI team, but for the near disaster handling of the press in the last five minutes.

What’s up with the announcer saying repeatedly that “he banks it in” after made free throws that did not hit the backboard ??? Did I miss hear that? And the sideline reporter was kind of hilarious with all the eavesdropping on the huddle!

Last edited:

WoodlandWarrior

Personally, I’m glad Banks was taken out at the end. Two critical turnovers and two critical missed free throws. Other than that, great win and good games from the other starters. Death to Bradley in Peoria when we play them again.

FriscoBird90

If they go 2-1 in their last three games, the Birds will finish 10-10 in conference and 16-15 overall, with five wins in their last six conference games. Depending on what the other teams around them in the current conference standings do over the next ten days or so, that finish could put them as high as fifth or likely no worse than a tie for eighth in the conference. Considering where things stood just a few weeks ago, the fact the Birds could earn a solid finish in the middle of the conference standings while looking as though they can hang with any conference opponent on any given night if they bring their "A game" would be a big confidence boost heading to St. Louis.

redbirdron1

Great win. All we have to do is utilize crisp passing against press and we’ll b fine.
Banks has been out of sync for majority of 2024 - thought he was mentally tougher than he’s showing. I still believe in him but for Gosh sakes battle thru it.

JK should run for City Council, Water Commissioner and be the Grand Marshall of all summer parades.

Redbirdmike

Amazingly hard fought game. Honestly, at 11-14 coming off the losses to UIC and SIU I did not think this was possible. We are really hitting our stride and with a 2-1 finish we could actually finish the regular season with a winning record. Whether Coach Pedon, Buster Douglas or a players only meeting, something has clicked with these guys. I am so impressed with our recent success toughness and ability to keep a stranglehold on the game late in the second half when you know the opponent has a run in them. We have been able to answer the bell time and again these past three games. The tenacity with the game on the line has been amazing. Past clubs would have folded. I love Burford, but this formula is working and presents a delicate balance decision once he comes back. I don’t know if I would mess with what we have going right now. Maybe not the right time to upset the apple cart. Roll with it!

Now give Bradley all they can handle…

Dmills

14 wins is the most since we had 17 in the 18-19 season. That season was our last winning season at 17-16.

Chicagobirdfan

Wow what a 360 turnaround on offense. Everyone seems to be playing a lot better together and there seems to be a plan when we have the ball. Watching JK continue to grow is awesome, even with a few TO I have no idea with him continuing to figure out how to make plays. Foster and Lewis are quite the team down low and MP shooting the way we all knew he could!

Underrated play when Luke came in and finally broke the press to Foster who made a nice pass to Lewis for the game sealing dunk!

Redbird222

The biggest differences

1. Playing with confidence vs hesitating and over thinking
2. Less isolation plays on offense
3. The zone is a match-up zone with man to man principles and has been an effective change up vs the 2-3 zone which was just ineffective
4. The emergence of JK but also the return of KLew and Poindexter and to some extent Luke. (See points #1 and 2 for these 4). I think these 4 play better moving vs standing around on the perimeter.

Saturday will be a battle but the team could be up to the challenge if it continues to play at this level.

DaveBird10

-First off, I want to say hats off to say great job to the students who showed up, Red Alert and Trevor. They were loud, into the game and I think the crowd fed off of that. People were cheering and last night was a fun game. This team has been so much fun to watch these last 3 games.
- Klew and Myles were beasts last night. I was concerned about UNI size with Hutson and Henry but those 2 took it right at them. We had a 38-29 rebounding edge over a good rebounding team.
-Mal hitting his shots and getting his 3 point percentage back up has been huge. The ball movement has been crisp and Myles continues to get his touches and points.
- I continue to wonder how things will go when DB gets back. DB is great, he can do what our other guards can't do but Banks, JK and Mal have found something. We had 17 assists and 11 turnovers (only 7 turnovers at the under 4 timeout).
-JK what can I say. Call him whatever you want to call him. You can call him Johnny K, Johnny Cash, Johnny Buckets, Johnny Himzinger or Johnny Kin-zanity. This kid right now could probably run for mayor of Normal or ISU President, this kid is catching fire and becoming a fan favorite before our eyes with how he hustles and just plays the game the right way.

Baltimore Bird

It is very impressive to see Lewis and Foster rebound. We have not had a 2 some like them in a long time. Foster is somewhat like Leroy Watkins only with a little bit more offensive game. He is also somewhat like Hank Cornley who used to back people down like Foster does. Fun to watch!!

I thought against Indiana State our 3 point defense was very fortunate. They missed many open 3's. UNI went 4 for 20 and I thought this time it had a great deal to with our D. Our matchup zone/man was very good. Born went 4 for 16.

Turnovers in the last 5 minutes were an issue. That can be corrected. I was hoping Luke would come in for Banks sooner than he did. Luke is 6'6" and can see over the traps much better than Banks. He is also a very good FT shooter.

Onward to P town. Spread it SLADE!

Top Bottom