Evansville Ticket Deal

Reggie Redbird

I don’t see the article talking about student population. Mizzou with 23k undergraduate students is going to draw more fans for the same amount of play. I don’t say that to take away from the atmosphere they have created but that math can play a role.

They make a great point about ISU having vested student leaders. I wish Trevor was a student 10-20 years ago because he would have been a great addition to those groups.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
The NCAA is partly at fault for attendance as well. The transfer rules and now NIL have really made it less fun to follow a team/players who are always moving and leaving.

I really enjoyed watching a player develop for 4 years at the same place. I don't enjoy free agency. If I want that I'll follow pro sports.

DougSutton

The NCAA is partly at fault for attendance as well. The transfer rules and now NIL have really made it less fun to follow a team/players who are always moving and leaving.

I really enjoyed watching a player develop for 4 years at the same place. I don't enjoy free agency. If I want that I'll follow pro sports.

That was one of the main things Roy Williams said about why it was time for him to step away from North Carolina in his final press conference. This impacts all levels of college sports, even the blue bloods.

Phantom

The MSU stuff is interesting. My oldest is a freshman down there and plays club volleyball for them (as a die hard ISU fan, it’s weird to see your kid in jerseys from another Valley school). She’s athletic, really into sports, grew up going to ISU basketball, and we had football and volleyball season tickets all through when she was in high school and she’d go to both.

She’s attended zero MSU athletic events, even though she’s less than two blocks from both the arena and stadium. And it’s not because she used to be a Redbird fan. She’d rather sit in the dorm and watch UNC basketball, Nebraska VB, or Iowa women’s basketball and football. Even when she was home on a break, she wanted to go down to U of I to watch volleyball instead of anything here.

Steaming has allowed her allegiances to go all over instead of having the geographic connection. Theres also a perception that Valley basketball etc are lower division because of where we are with football. Yes, I’m well aware there’s a difference between the Valley for football and the rest of the sports, but the average fan might not make that distinction.

This is a perfect example of a big chunk of the problem. It wasn't too long ago where being on ESPN, CBSSN or even CSN/NBCC (before Marquee) was kind of a decently big deal. "This game is televised!" was a thing. We even used it to get people out to games and it worked pretty well. Streaming has destroyed all that. With ESPN+ you can watch any school/any sport and, not gonna lie, it's pretty sweet (I just subscribed this season.)

But anyway...this aspect has been building for years. 15-20 years ago, there was still "too many entertainment options" as social media was starting to erupt and people were spending more time online. Not only is that continuing, but with all the newer streaming services on top of that, people have too much content to try and consume. It's an extra chore that takes away from other things.

The Mizzou approach is a good one. Give people an experience they CAN NOT get unless they're there in person. For awhile there we had football Saturdays and most hoops games as the thing to do in town. We've gotten away from that. In addition, what we DESPERATELY need is a deep football playoff run or two and more importantly, an NCAA tourney appearance....like really, really, really bad. If we're not part of that club, most kids today don't have a reason to care. Part of the reason people cared so much in '08, '09, '17 and a few other years was because we truly believed this was it...the drought is gonna finally end. And it didn't. One deflation after another. That's hard to overcome.

ISU86

The MSU stuff is interesting. My oldest is a freshman down there and plays club volleyball for them (as a die hard ISU fan, it’s weird to see your kid in jerseys from another Valley school). She’s athletic, really into sports, grew up going to ISU basketball, and we had football and volleyball season tickets all through when she was in high school and she’d go to both.

She’s attended zero MSU athletic events, even though she’s less than two blocks from both the arena and stadium. And it’s not because she used to be a Redbird fan. She’d rather sit in the dorm and watch UNC basketball, Nebraska or Michigan State VB, or Iowa women’s basketball and football. Even when she was home on a break, she wanted to go down to U of I to watch volleyball instead of anything here.

Steaming has allowed her allegiances to go all over instead of having the geographic connection. Theres also a perception that Valley basketball etc are lower division because of where we are with football. Yes, I’m well aware there’s a difference between the Valley for football and the rest of the sports, but the average fan might not make that distinction.
If you HONESTLY think ISU would draw better if we were in CUSA, MAC, or SBC you are kidding yourself. The average fan probably thinks anything outside Power 5 is a whole different level anyway. Even AAC and MWC are not perceived the same.

Yes, conference affiliation may be an issue, but unless we were to ever get to the rarified air that is ACC, B10, B12 or SEC, the perception of the rest are pretty similar for the so-called average fan. There is "fbs" and there is "FBS". Northern Illinois is "fbs" whereas Illinois is "FBS".

Aggie

I do agree with you on the conference thing outside of the P5. My point was the FCS part. Most people haven’t heard of, let alone care about FCS football.

Football is usually the first exposure to ISU sports when freshmen come in. I’ve had more than my share of conversations with people and had to explain no, we’re not the same level as all of those teams you’ve heard of and there is zero possibility of playing one of them unless they’re writing us a big check and it’s kind of a practice game for them. At least in the nonP5, it’s technically the same level as the P5, they play in a system people have heard of (the bowls), and there’s a theoretical possibility of them playing against a big name in the postseason. We on the other hand play at a lower level, have EIU as a rival, and worry about a bunch of Dakota schools 99% of students haven’t heard of. I do think that impacts overall perception of the Program to incoming freshmen.

None of that is to suggest we can or should go FBS at this point. That ship has probably sailed and it is what it is.
ISU needs to become a perennial powerhouse in the level of football we are at. People all over recognize the name North Dakota State. Maybe not high school kids but sports fans do.

RedbirdSoxFan

They announced at the coaches show last night that tickets are buy 1 get 1. If you buy a ticket to Wednesday's game you will get that same ticket or tickets to the game next Wednesday.
Is there a Code that you need to get the deal? I selected two seats but it is trying to charge for both.

DaveBird10

Is there a Code that you need to get the deal? I selected two seats but it is trying to charge for both.
That idk, all I know is what they said on the coaches show. If you bought tickets to the game last night you get the tickets for next Wednesday game. I also know they gave out an email to season ticket holders about getting 2 free tickets to last nights game and/or next Wednesday game.

Top Bottom