Norfolk St- Horton Game

Reggie Redbird

It does, but he's probably under the age of 22. You and others aren't. Just because he does something doesn't mean the fans should return the favor.

A majority of these players aren't even old enough to drink or gamble legally. We forget that.
So should they be allowed to vote or serve their country? Thomas is 21; he can do any of the sort.

My guess is he did not pick this game to start taunting fans. Officiating crews should have given him a technical (or two) earlier and managed this game better.

He doesn’t deserve any negative statements made towards him. He does deserve to be held responsible for any lack of sportsmanship.

Aggie

Biggest question is “if the fans didn’t say anything offensive” what then? I have no idea who they were but maybe the stay home and not be a fan in person is the safest way to now watch college sports. As for “ this devalues me” what if nothing offensive was said? Do you throw these fans under the proverbial bus to make us all feel better??? Looks to me lots of universities are suffering from the guilty with no chance to prove one is innocent. That is truly telling and disheartening about the education industry these days. I interact everyday with more and more young people that say they have zero interest in attending any university. Most of these young people run their own businesses or have very well paying jobs.

seanyd91

A couple of controversial and contradictory comments. First, was it a student or an adult/alumnus/B-N citizen that made the racist comment? Secondly, I don't really get the nostalgia of Horton. The only people who would have experienced Horton are over 55 years old! And imagine a venue where fans are so close to the players and insults can be heard. And imagine an HBCU team playing to a basically all white crowd? Could they feel hostility and hear racist comments? They play in front of similar crowds and no racist comments reported-only at ISU? Yet-The player who claimed it did a lot of boasting towards the crowd-can't blame a player who was so impressive. Overall, ISU was reported nationally as a not ready to be taken seriously, low attendance, and now hateful fan base-because of 2 "fans". It's been a month, I would think they would done better damage control.

redbirds2000

I've never once said that the accused fans are guilty. Instead, I've said multiple times that I am choosing to take coach Jones' word for it that the ref told him that the fan said something which is what triggered the cascading reaction of anger that he displayed, then coach Pedon's complaining to the ref that coach Jones should be called for a technical, the loud Horton Fieldhouse environment preventing either coach from actually hearing each other although we could all clearly see "F**k you" coming out of coach Jones' mouth.

The key distinction is the gap and unknown between what came out of our fan's mouths, what the ref heard, and what the ref chose to tell coach Jones can be huge. This is where I'm left to choose to trust the administration to do a thorough investigation and share their findings. I have no doubt that all involved and witnesses around the incident have been interviewed as President Tarhule said.
How do you like Coach Jones' "word" now? I told you from day 1, it didn't happen!

DougSutton

How do you like Coach Jones' "word" now? I told you from day 1, it didn't happen!

I've been pretty consistent in my life to take a man's word for something they say, until they prove otherwise. I also subscribe to the theory of "Trust, but verify", and this investigation was part of a verification process. The fact that no one from NSU commented shows a lack of credibility and President Tarhule's statement makes it clear they spoke to game officials (which must include the one that apparently told the NSU coach that the slur was said, and thus, the official must not have told him that).

The fact that the only people that didn't do an interview were from NSU (of course including the accuser) removes all credibility from what they said. So to answer your question, he has lost credibility in my eye and I do not take his word for it now. I would have come to that conclusion the night of the incident if the ref in question would have denied telling the coach this as he apparently must have in the interview process and had the ref done this, it would not have made national news in the way it did.

That being said, I feel the statement from President Tarhule could have been more clear and decisive. I also feel the investigation took way too long. If this would have happened in the business world, 2 weeks would be an eternity and this investigation took 7 weeks. I can give a pass regarding the delay because part of that time delay could have been providing ample time for NSU to interview, and the rest of the interviews could have been completed within 2 weeks of the incident. If that was the case, his statement could have included that. President Tarhule could have also clearly stated what the ref who supposedly told the NSU coach about the racial slur shared in his interview (that he never heard nor told their coach the slur). Perhaps he chose to soften the statement to not explicitly call NSU out for making this story up and instead, allow people to read between the lines. My preference however would have been to be a little more clear and direct.

Redbird222

I've been pretty consistent in my life to take a man's word for something they say, until they prove otherwise. I also subscribe to the theory of "Trust, but verify", and this investigation was part of a verification process. The fact that no one from NSU commented shows a lack of credibility and President Tarhule's statement makes it clear they spoke to game officials (which must include the one that apparently told the NSU coach that the slur was said, and thus, the official must not have told him that).

The fact that the only people that didn't do an interview were from NSU (of course including the accuser) removes all credibility from what they said. So to answer your question, he has lost credibility in my eye and I do not take his word for it now. I would have come to that conclusion the night of the incident if the ref in question would have denied telling the coach this as he apparently must have in the interview process and had the ref done this, it would not have made national news in the way it did.

That being said, I feel the statement from President Tarhule could have been more clear and decisive. I also feel the investigation took way too long. If this would have happened in the business world, 2 weeks would be an eternity and this investigation took 7 weeks. I can give a pass regarding the delay because part of that time delay could have been providing ample time for NSU to interview, and the rest of the interviews could have been completed within 2 weeks of the incident. If that was the case, his statement could have included that. President Tarhule could have also clearly stated what the ref who supposedly told the NSU coach about the racial slur shared in his interview (that he never heard nor told their coach the slur). Perhaps he chose to soften the statement to not explicitly call NSU out for making this story up and instead, allow people to read between the lines. My preference however would have been to be a little more clear and direct.
I would have hoped the investigation could have been completed quicker. I am sure affording Norfolk the opportunity to participate and the Holidays impacted the timing but it sure seems like it took a long time.

Reggie Redbird

A couple of controversial and contradictory comments. First, was it a student or an adult/alumnus/B-N citizen that made the racist comment? Secondly, I don't really get the nostalgia of Horton. The only people who would have experienced Horton are over 55 years old! And imagine a venue where fans are so close to the players and insults can be heard. And imagine an HBCU team playing to a basically all white crowd? Could they feel hostility and hear racist comments? They play in front of similar crowds and no racist comments reported-only at ISU? Yet-The player who claimed it did a lot of boasting towards the crowd-can't blame a player who was so impressive. Overall, ISU was reported nationally as a not ready to be taken seriously, low attendance, and now hateful fan base-because of 2 "fans". It's been a month, I would think they would done better damage control.
People not even 40 have memories of Horton. Just because someone wasn’t in college or older when games were played doesn’t mean memories don’t exist.

Playing in Horton drew a lot more interest than drawing 2k when we play them in RBA. That’s what it is, a way to sell tickets and generate revenue.

I’m ok with a Horton game every 3-4 years. I believe it was held again because people missed out of last year. I can’t see it happening again for a few years.

Top Bottom