Zion Williamson just changed everything for everyone

Redbirdwarrior

Let me start by saying this.

I love Zion Williamson. He is a LeBron/Shaq/Pippen hybrid that is what a scientist would put together if they could grow a perfect basketball player in a lab in 2019. Further, he just loves the game.

As we all saw, the kid was too athletic for his Nikes the other day and tweaked his knee.

That was all ammo the NBA needed to formally propose lowering the draft age to 18 again. Honestly, I think it is a compelling argument to say in an age where first year pro athletes are making 8 digits a year to start with, the concept of requiring college (and jeopardizing that paycheck in the process) is getting further and further away from the best interest of the player. Players are now sitting out major bowl games on the football side and Zion is reportedly leaning toward not playing the ACC or NCAA tournaments (the exact reason Duke recruited him) out of protecting his draft stock.

Let's assume that the NBA drops the age back to 18 and tells the NCAA to go kick rocks.

A- How can the NCAA adjust amateurism rules to give a shot to those 18 year old kids who declare, hire an agent and end up not getting to an NBA roster a shot (and should a path like this exist?).

B- How does this effect mid major basketball?

C- Does this go beyond basketball into football in time?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I'm against sitting out. I give a pass to meaningless bowl games. But Duke is at least the second most likely team behind Virginia to win the NCAA tournament. If he sits out and he's not hurt, then he's a bad guy. His teammates, some of which are not NBA prospects, are trying to win a national title.

Plus, he was hurt in a NON CONTACT injury. You think he's going to sit out and sit on his duff for three months until the draft? No, he's going to work out, he's going to get scouted. The exact same thing could happen again. It just wouldn't be on national TV.

He signed with Duke, he should play for Duke, if he's healthy. If hes hurt, then no don't play of course.

Redbird60451

In my opinion, we should hit up the Windy City Bulls to move 1/2 their games to Normal and play in RBA. Because the best and even 2nd best basketball players are going to get into the feeder system quicker, and the G-League is going to replace Duke/NC/Kentucky ect as the place to play basketball. So now those teams will get the best of what's left, which is what mid majors get now. College Basketball will go the way of College Baseball. It will be ok to watch, and yes you may see a few future professionals, but ultimately the best will not take the chance and go for the guaranteed money. Most of us view it all differently because we all go to Work, so we said, hey this degree we got, it's pretty f'in important. But for the top 40/50 kids and then the next 200 below that (you know the ones getting sunshine blown up their butt but really aren't elite) they don't even care about H.S. Why would they give 2 craps about a college degree. They fully expect to make a career out of playing a game and they will follow that dream even though you can statically show for most of them, their income over time will be exponentially better with a college degree (in most cases).

CaliRdBrd

I’m all for these kids doing what’s best for them and their families.
Screw the NCAA.

redbirds2000

isuquinndog said:
I'm against sitting out. I give a pass to meaningless bowl games. But Duke is at least the second most likely team behind Virginia to win the NCAA tournament. If he sits out and he's not hurt, then he's a bad guy. His teammates, some of which are not NBA prospects, are trying to win a national title.

Plus, he was hurt in a NON CONTACT injury. You think he's going to sit out and sit on his duff for three months until the draft? No, he's going to work out, he's going to get scouted. The exact same thing could happen again. It just wouldn't be on national TV.

He signed with Duke, he should play for Duke, if he's healthy. If hes hurt, then no don't play of course.
Then he's a bad guy?? Come on! He is looking at a $40 million++ contract when he goes number #1. Tear an ACL? You can cut that in half, if not more. He is at Duke because he has to be. How many full games of ZW have you watched? Do you really think scouts still need to see him? He can stay in shape for 3 months without putting himself at risk. This is big time college basketball and it's a business and he is a businessman. It's not the freaking MVC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Birdman07

I don't fault players for sitting out. If I were him I'd be done. He's going number one. Nothing left to prove. Say what you want about being a team player but nobody should gamble with the $400-million plus hes looking at.

birdlife

i think some people underestimate the drive in these kids to simply compete in the game they love. the one scenario where the risk can be too great, like quinnie said, is the meaningless bowl games at the end of an NFL draft picks college career.

side note: why dont more kids do the reggie bush and take an insurance policy out on themselves?

redbirds2000

birdlife said:
i think some people underestimate the drive in these kids to simply compete in the game they love. the one scenario where the risk can be too great, like quinnie said, is the meaningless bowl games at the end of an NFL draft picks college career.

side note: why dont more kids do the reggie bush and take an insurance policy out on themselves?
ZW has an $8 million policy that pays out if he drops below #16. Paid for by...Duke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SoCalRedbird

Lower the draft age to 18. Getting 'em OUT of the NCAA landscape can't come quick enough.

Nobody watches the NCAA because of these players anyway. ESPN and sports pundits would steadfastly disagree because they TRY to paint NCAA as a replica of the NBA by focusing attention on individuals like Zion and RJ Barrett. But most NCAA fans I know watch out of pride in their university, pride in their conference or region, and to see the development of a player / team over a 4 year period of time.

Let the NBA continue to create fans that support individuals over teams. Let them continue to devalue equity across the board. Let them continue to erode player and fan loyalty.

I don't want NCAA hoops anywhere near what the NBA has become.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DWRedbird

Were I those advising Zion, I'd tell him to sit the rest of the year, he will still go number 1 as long as there is no damage to the knee. That said, I don't think Zion will sit, the guy loves the game too much to sit out.

My thoughts on the questions:

A. Were I the NCAA I would put a rule in place that a player gets a one time draft waiver, regardless of age, that you can join the draft and hire an agent, and if you don't join the G-League, you can go to college, but the next time you enter the draft and hire an agent, you are done.
Sub A - Were I the NBA I would expand the G-League and turn it into a full on minor league system, otherwise they are going to end up where they were before this.

B. It will negatively impact mid-major recruiting. There will be more roster spots on the bigger teams, meaning they will have an increased recruiting impact. Mid-Majors will have to try harder to find the diamonds in the rough, and even when they do, they'll likely just end up transferring to a high major as well.

C. I think it could potentially go beyond basketball but only in the sense of the NFL creating a minor league system of their own to recruit the good players that play in college and get them to make money for the NFL.

ricohill

I could see it happening that the NBA lowers the age limit, but I don’t see it happening soon (this is all an nba rule not ncaa). It’s good for NBA business to not allow high school kids go straight to the NBA. It gives them an extra year of evaluation vs. better competition.

Until the NBA changes the rule the best option is to play NCAA basketball. What else would a kid like Zion do? Sit around for a year and not play?

Freak things happen, but the sure fire lottery picks are pretty protected financially right now.

CaliRdBrd

SoCalRedbird said:
Lower the draft age to 18. Getting 'em OUT of the NCAA landscape can't come quick enough.

Nobody watches the NCAA because of these players anyway. ESPN and sports pundits would steadfastly disagree because they TRY to paint NCAA as a replica of the NBA by focusing attention on individuals like Zion and RJ Barrett. But most NCAA fans I know watch out of pride in their university, pride in their conference or region, and to see the development of a player / team over a 4 year period of time.

Let the NBA continue to create fans that support individuals over teams. Let them continue to devalue equity across the board. Let them continue to erode player and fan loyalty.

I don't want NCAA hoops anywhere near what the NBA has become.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ummm...I go out of my way to watch ZW play.

bombay

A 19 year old "amateur" moved nike stock 5%. Billions of dollars, and he personally has in excess of $100 million at stake. No way he should allow himself to be used by the slimy ncaa again.

bombay

It's also time for all professional sports leagues not be allowed to violate anti-trust law for their own profit. 18 y.o. people can die for their country. They should also be allowed to work in the field of their choice and the city of their choice.

ISU FAN 1

Birdman07 said:
I don't fault players for sitting out. If I were him I'd be done. He's going number one. Nothing left to prove. Say what you want about being a team player but nobody should gamble with the $400-million plus hes looking at.

Then Barrett should call it quits as well. Along with any other players in mock draft lottery boards.

ISU FAN 1

DWRedbird said:
Were I those advising Zion, I'd tell him to sit the rest of the year, he will still go number 1 as long as there is no damage to the knee. That said, I don't think Zion will sit, the guy loves the game too much to sit out.

A. Were I the NCAA I would put a rule in place that a player gets a one time draft waiver, regardless of age, that you can join the draft and hire an agent, and if you don't join the G-League, you can go to college, but the next time you enter the draft and hire an agent, you are done.
Sub A - Were I the NBA I would expand the G-League and turn it into a full on minor league system, otherwise they are going to end up where they were before this.

B. It will negatively impact mid-major recruiting. There will be more roster spots on the bigger teams, meaning they will have an increased recruiting impact. Mid-Majors will have to try harder to find the diamonds in the rough, and even when they do, they'll likely just end up transferring to a high major as well.

C. I think it could potentially go beyond basketball but only in the sense of the NFL creating a minor league system of their own to recruit the good players that play in college and get them to make money for the NFL.
Were I advising Zion, I would remind him this board hates millionaires. And he doesn’t want to end up on the wrong side of that equation.

Birdman07

ISU FAN 1 said:
Birdman07 said:

Then Barrett should call it quits as well. Along with any other players in mock draft lottery boards.

I wouldn't say that because each slot in the draft has a price on it. Zion is number one. Nowhere to go but down. Even if he doesn't play again he's number one. If he seriously injures himself he would go down. RJ is top five but the slot isn't set in stone.

ISU FAN 1

Birdman07 said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
Birdman07 said:

I wouldn't say that because each slot in the draft has a price on it. Zion is number one. Nowhere to go but down. Even if he doesn't play again he's number one. If he seriously injures himself he would go down. RJ is top five but the slot isn't set in stone.

If the concern is injury dropping draft status, is the risk worth it? I would like to see healthy athletes compete. But if Barrett really tore up a knee, he stands to lose more than he can gain at this point. He should consult a Risk Management expert

https://youtu.be/d4EmDCwoqAE

bombay

BTW, Williamson does have a policy that pays $8 M if he's drafted 16 or lower. He still shouldn't play.

SgtHulka

ISU FAN 1 said:
DWRedbird said:

Were I advising Zion, I would remind him this board hates millionaires. And he doesn’t want to end up on the wrong side of that equation.

Not as much as we hate cans

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcwz8-EfFYE

Top Bottom