Who will be held accountable

crazzymark

Based on the level of mediocrity of this team this season. Who do you think should be held responsible. And giving a rebuild answer is not sufficient. Heard enough of those excuses over the last couple of decades.

Redbird82

A new coach in season one inheriting half a roster that didn’t perform last year and scrambling to fill in the holes. Mark, I’m not sure what you expected?
His name says it all. Rarely posts anything reasonable. Now next year mirrors this one you can start to gripe for sure.

ChiRedbirdfan

i like Crazy's thinking about accountability but it is not on Pedon yet. This dumpster fire season is still part of the Dietz/Lyons/Muller men's basketball legacy which began with the terrible one sided / lengthy contract offered to Muller. No reason any mid-major should sign a coach to a 7 year term with a $50,000 buyout. Under those terms, if the coach succeeds, he is basically free to move up the ladder as there is only a $50,000 buyout for an athletic program that likely has multiples of ISU's athletic department revenues. If the coach fails ISU, which Muller began immediately after signing, ISU is saddled with a failed coach and millions of $$$s in liabilities. When Muller received his last contract he deserved a new contract as he looked promising....but absolutely NOT at those horrendous terms. Dietz/Lyons failed to protect ISU and consequently Muller ran ISU's basketball program into gutter as ISU could not afford to get rid of Muller. ISU should NEVER sign any contract that they can not afford to terminate.

There is a lot of heavy lifting needed to get ISU's mens basketball program relevant. As impatient and frustrated as i am with ISU's overall athletic strategy and athletic success, any coach coming in after the Dietz/Lyons/Muller debacle is going to need more time than a spring and summer to be judged, IMO. But I agree with those that believe 4 years is way too long in this new recruiting landscape. Three years (maybe even 2) is more than enough time to have the program firmly moving in the right direction.

ISU86

Does young men hold some type of accountability in todays world? I’d certainly hope so.
Pops, you were warned about asking the Crazzy one questions.

As far as Pedon, I think you need four years either way (unless the prior three are all dumpster fires). We have had coaches have one year of success amongst others of mediocrity. Blind squirrel syndrome.

Birdfriend72

Does young men hold some type of accountability in todays world? I’d certainly hope so.
Not the men on this roster. It’s not fair to expect this roster to compete in the valley- let alone make the NCAA Tournament! Actually they might have over achieved early on.

Reggie Redbird

Based on the level of mediocrity of this team this season. Who do you think should be held responsible. And giving a rebuild answer is not sufficient. Heard enough of those excuses over the last couple of decades.
You can’t sue old admins for their decisions, no matter how bad.

We are looking at a roster that lost its top talent from a team that was at the bottom of the league. We didn’t have ample time to recruit the players needed. This has been a bad year, but I am happy with a coach who appears to be bringing in talent and has won some games that were incredibly tough (SIU, Belmont).

It is crucial for Pedon to bring in a good assistant for our open spot and for the entire staff to hit the pavement to bring in people we need to turn this ship around. I highly doubt we get them in a season, but we should be able to get some key pieces - starting with PG and post.

Phantom

its been 1 season. a lot of games lost less than 10 points. those will becomes wins eventually
This is one bright side, of a few. The results aren't good, which is 1. All that matters and 2. Is to be expected for this season. But aside from a few turds in the punchbowl, we've been competitive. We haven't been an easy out for most teams. A lot of close losses. If we close out half those, then this season has a totally different look to it in the W/L columns. Coulda, woulda, shoulda, yes...but realistically this is about where we were expected to be given a brand new regime and a patchwork roster with a talent gap.

We have some guys. But need a true PG and a big. The guys play hard. They seem to be buying into what Pedon is laying down - he's obviously got much to learn too. It won't happen in one year. I think we got spoiled by what Jank did right off the bat but he inherited a roster that was absolutely loaded and ready to win, with no defections after Moser. To sum it up, everyone is accountable. It's a team game after all. Get some pieces wherever you can for next season and things should be different. Will we flip it into a 20-game winner? Who knows. But I think we can be optimistic for improvement in year 2.

SlackBooDom

You can’t sue old admins for their decisions, no matter how bad.

We are looking at a roster that lost its top talent from a team that was at the bottom of the league. We didn’t have ample time to recruit the players needed. This has been a bad year, but I am happy with a coach who appears to be bringing in talent and has won some games that were incredibly tough (SIU, Belmont).

It is crucial for Pedon to bring in a good assistant for our open spot and for the entire staff to hit the pavement to bring in people we need to turn this ship around. I highly doubt we get them in a season, but we should be able to get some key pieces - starting with PG and post.
The narrative there wasn’t ample time to recruit for success is one I’ll never agree with. ISU intentionally hired a coach as early as possible to give a leg up in recruiting. Pedon was introduced to the team the hour the season ended.

Bart Lundy at Milwaukee. Corey Gipson at Northwestern State. Mike Lewis at Ball State. Tobin Anderson at Farleigh Dickinson. Lets not act like it’s impossible to recruit because you’re a new coach. Others did it. We tried. We just didn’t find the talent needed for year one to exceed expectations.

ScoreboardDotRace

Also many gave Pedon a ‘pass’ this year on the weak schedule to build a culture and recruit. So we will definitely need to up the talent level if the schedule will be better (we will see if that happens.)

Year 2 is a pretty big one in my opinion to get a better grasp of what we have w the staff.

For the here and now though, please at least defend home court against Evansville and make it to Friday in STL.

Redbird222

The narrative there wasn’t ample time to recruit for success is one I’ll never agree with. ISU intentionally hired a coach as early as possible to give a leg up in recruiting. Pedon was introduced to the team the hour the season ended.

Bart Lundy at Milwaukee. Corey Gipson at Northwestern State. Mike Lewis at Ball State. Tobin Anderson at Farleigh Dickinson. Lets not act like it’s impossible to recruit because you’re a new coach. Others did it. We tried. We just didn’t find the talent needed for year one to exceed expectations.
Gipson brought 3 Missouri State players to Northwestern St which Pedon didn't have that luxury.

The ability to recruit freshman and JUCO players is much harder for a program that has entire new staff. Most of those recruits have been courted for a long time prior March. That being said, the portal and transfers is a level playing field since it opens after the seasons end.

Pedon kept 6 players from the old regime and left one scholarship open. Those were his choices and he is accountable for that. We probably could have been more successful THIS year if he had gone a different route. I am assuming he will manage the roster a little bit different this year and hopefully we will have a more talented team for 23-24

Last edited:

Phantom

Let's not forget Pedon still had to finish the B10 tourney and then play 2 rounds in the NCAA tourney two weeks after being hired here. So it really wasn't until late March at the earliest when he was able to dive fully into building this year's roster. Not to mention trying to move his family to a new state (a full time job in itself). Not making excuses for him but to act like he had plenty of time to recruit is simply inaccurate.

By late March, most recruits are well into the process with whomever is courting them, and the portal and JUCOs are picked through. He got who he could get. Sure, there's been first year successes in many places (even here with Jank) but in most of those cases, there's been either an established roster, players who come with the coach, staff & schedule already in place, no postseason at the previous school to focus on prior to starting the new gig, etc. Pedon had none of that. He jumped into a bottom of the barrel situation.

DaveBird10

Let's not forget Pedon still had to finish the B10 tourney and then play 2 rounds in the NCAA tourney two weeks after being hired here. So it really wasn't until late March at the earliest when he was able to dive fully into building this year's roster. Not to mention trying to move his family to a new state (a full time job in itself). Not making excuses for him but to act like he had plenty of time to recruit is simply inaccurate.

By late March, most recruits are well into the process with whomever is courting them, and the portal and JUCOs are picked through. He got who he could get. Sure, there's been first year successes in many places (even here with Jank) but in most of those cases, there's been either an established roster, players who come with the coach, staff & schedule already in place, no postseason at the previous school to focus on prior to starting the new gig, etc. Pedon had none of that. He jumped into a bottom of the barrel situation.
And Dakich was the only coach here for a while until Pedon could get moved and settled in and the only experience Dakich had was as the DBO at Elon trying to go thru the roster that was here and figure that all out. Pedon also mentioned trying to get the schedule figured out as he was figuring out the roster. All this for a 1st time head coach and then come season time you're short an assistant coach I am sure made it difficult.
I am sure going into this off-season he has a better idea of the roster and how they want to go moving forward.

Reggie1857

Not the men on this roster. It’s not fair to expect this roster to compete in the valley- let alone make the NCAA Tournament! Actually they might have over achieved early on.
While the current state of the program falls squarely on the shoulders of Dietz, Lyons and Muller (I would love to see ISU sue to prorate their pensions for gross nonperformance), Pedon HAS to start showing he can mine some talent from the portal and can recruit HS athletes at a significantly higher level.

SlackBooDom

Besides having to still coach at OSU, hiring someone with only DOBO experience, having to schedule, being a first-time coach, not being able to bring players with him, and moving his family we aren’t making excuses. I named other first-year coaches. Did they not have those issues too? Or did they just handle them better? What’s the rationale that they’re having instant success and we aren’t?

SlackBooDom

The sensitivity on this board is out of control. Every question that gets asked is a personal attack on all things Redbird Basketball. I asked why other first-year coaches are having success and we aren't. In the context of the year, I don't see how that isn't something fans would want to know.

Bird Friend

I'm surprised Timmy hasn't chimed in with "Patty V. should be held accountable".

Top Bottom