Western Michigan hunting expedition

Total Red

Staff member
On Saturday we were the hunted. Butler came looking for us with all the hunting prowess of Elmer Fudd. It never ended well for Mr. Fudd and it didn't end well for Butler.

Now we're the hunter and WMU is the hunted. Do we have the ammunition to get it done? It's a major endeavor . WMU was 4-2 in 6 MAC conference games in the fall. In those 6 games they averaged 41.6 points per game. The QB that led that charge (Eleby) has returned so our defense will be outplaying the MAC if they hold them under 40. I think we need to hold them under 25 to win. Our offense will need to be in the zone to hit 25. Bryce Jefferson was basically unmolested in the opener. He'll need to make plays under fire. The TE's need to turn it on. Our RB's are capable and they proved they can run through holes against Butler. Can they create yardage when nothing is there a la James Robinson? Nigel White is good, P. Brown is good, Cole Mueller is good. Having said all that - MORE KEVIN BROWN PLEASE!

I'm going to WMU. We have a chance to pull off the upset. Not a good one, but we have a chance.

Total Red

Staff member
Waldo Stadium, Kalamazoo, Michigan, is the MECCA of college football, we all know that. Dozens make the trek every year. And why not, what a beauty!
1631051665371.png

You may have seen a lot of football games in a lot of places but you ain't done nothin and you ain't been no where until you've done The Waldo at The Zoo. BE THERE - GO 'BIRDS!!!

Bird Friend

Waldo Stadium, Kalamazoo, Michigan, is the MECCA of college football, we all know that. Dozens make the trek every year. And why not, what a beauty!
View attachment 533

You may have seen a lot of football games in a lot of places but you ain't done nothin and you ain't been no where until you've done The Waldo at The Zoo. BE THERE - GO 'BIRDS!!!
Is the field underwater?

TIMMY

No turnovers. Gotta win the trenches. Receivers gotta get open. This ain't Butler. Can't get burned deep. Anyone watch the Ole Miss 3-2-6 last night? It was pretty. Need to play like that.

ISUBU

I expect this to be the best QB we see this year. We recruited him unsuccessfully.

Virginia Redbird

WMU was handled by Michigan at the Big House in their season opener. This is their home opener and they will be looking for a win. My guess is they will not be overconfident and they will come ready to play. They do not want to start the season 0-2. It really is hard to tell where the Birds are at right now since Butler was not the toughest opponent. The Redbird defense improved as the game went along but even holding Butler to just 7 points they did not look dominant to me. The strength of the WMU team last year was the offense. They return 4 starters on the O-line, their QB and the receiving corps lost their top guy to the Seattle Seahawks but return good talent to the receiving corps. The Redbird O-line opened up holes against the Butler D but 10 starters are back on defense for WMU and while they were just average on defense last year, they lead the MAC in tackles for loss and were 5th in the nation in that category. The Redbird O-line will have to work a bit harder this week.
I can see the Redbirds pulling off the upset but I don't really have a feel for the team as yet considering the level of competition in thier first game.

StLRedbird

A big part of this is mindset. I think every team in the Valley nowadays knows it can go into a FBS venue and walk out with a win and a check. This is particularly true of the G5. Spack's guys know they can do it because the have done it. No mistakes. Can't give away pts off turnovers.

Their fans like their offense and acknowledge the shortcomings on defense. A scan of their forum has me thinking they believe their OL will control the line. They think their running back by committee is in good hands. We've discussed the passing game.

A big stop or three by the red defense will really help. The DL didn't put much pressure on the Butler QB, near as I can tell from the able PBP of Luedke, a fellow I'm really gonna miss one day... That concerns me because the lockdown secondary has moved on.

Jefferson is saying all of the right things, and doing them against inferior competition. He has the tools.

redbirdfan04

I expect this to be the best QB we see this year. We recruited him unsuccessfully.
I disagree, we are going to see at least two better QBs, Baker from SIU and Shelley from MSU. I would throw in Camp from USD as well. He picked WMU because it gave him the best chance to play out of the 11 offers he recieved. ISU, USD, SIU all offered him but he went with WMU. If your argument is he wanted to play FBS he was also offered at Uof I, Iowa State, Toledo, and Ball State. Why would you pick WMU over Illinois or Iowa State? In my opnion it is he still wanted to play QB as he was also recruited as a DB and/or he knew he wouldn't play at those other schools.

I just hope he sucks on Saturday afternoon, and we win the game!

Total Red

Staff member
I disagree, we are going to see at least two better QBs, Baker from SIU and Shelley from MSU. I would throw in Camp from USD as well. He picked WMU because it
Eleby, Baker and Shelley are all very good. I wouldn't put Camp in that group, at least not yet. That 41.6 pts per game by the Broncos in 2020 really jumped out me. That's high octane scoring for 6 straight MAC games with Eleby at the controls. You can definitely make a case for him.

redbirdfan04

Eleby, Baker and Shelley are all very good. I wouldn't put Camp in that group, at least not yet. That 41.6 pts per game by the Broncos in 2020 really jumped out me. That's high octane scoring for 6 straight MAC games with Eleby at the controls. You can definitely make a case for him.
Nothing about that spring season counts but yes 42 a game is impressive. I will say that the MVFC has a much better defense overall than the MAC schools.

redbirdfan04

The MAC played in the fall 2020. They originally cancelled fall sports but then played a six game fall season.
Ah Yes, I just looked back they played in November and Decemeber. I now remember watching some of those games at NIU and the nasty weather they played in. Good memory Virginia Bird.

ISUBU

I disagree, we are going to see at least two better QBs, Baker from SIU and Shelley from MSU. I would throw in Camp from USD as well. He picked WMU because it gave him the best chance to play out of the 11 offers he recieved. ISU, USD, SIU all offered him but he went with WMU. If your argument is he wanted to play FBS he was also offered at Uof I, Iowa State, Toledo, and Ball State. Why would you pick WMU over Illinois or Iowa State? In my opnion it is he still wanted to play QB as he was also recruited as a DB and/or he knew he wouldn't play at those other schools.

I just hope he sucks on Saturday afternoon, and we win the game!
The fact we recruited him is simply an interesting fact. What jumped out at me was a 5:1 TD to Interception ratio and a QB rating near 170.

I agree in hoping he has a tough day Saturday.

I'm a bit pessimistic. The score last week was great for us. We clearly were able to score quickly against Butler. I know they only scored 7 points, but at times their offense looked pretty effective against our guys. Our tackling needs to be better.

It sounds like we're pretty healthy and WMU is banged up a bit (the difference between playing Butler and Michigan in Week 1). Lets play well and win.

TIMMY

Fact: Western Michigan has Co-Offensive Coordinators. They can't possibly win.
Opinion: If Eleby had taken the ISU offer I'd be a bit more optimistic about this season.

fourthandshort

I honestly have no clue.. that Butler was able to convert on 9 of 18 3rd downs and 1 of 2 4th downs is very concerning to me. Plus just 1 sack and 3 TFLs ... we've got work to do on defense and WMU can put up points in MAC .. a conference we are only slightly better than, putting aside NDSU most years.

Being healthy and an underdog, plus using more of playbook on both offebse and defense will make a difference ... but still to many question marks for our Redbirds.

I can see higher scoring game in 30s even .. and yes, we can win a game like this, but ....

CaliRdBrd

I’m guessing Spack had no need to reveal his entire playbook against Butler, but WMU did (against Michigan).
basically, I’m guessing we’ll see a better Redbird team this weekend.

Top Bottom