Welcome Sy!!

CB2K

Welcome to Redbird Nation Sy!!

Look forward to seeing you tear it up next year.

Redbird Alum 2004

Welcome Sy! Really like his potential. The UMASS board was in love with him until he transferred. He looks pretty athletic and I think the year of will help him a lot. I think this will be a good get when the 2021 season rolls around.

Adunk33

Staff member
I could be wrong but since he announced his transfer in Dec 2019, couldn't he, in theory, play in Jan 2021? Or does that clock start when he signs the papers at his new school? Either way, Muller's comments made it pretty clear we'd be seeing Sy in the 2021-22 season.

Also, first time we've had two Minnesota guys on the roster since...well....you know...

Hrtnfldhse

I could be wrong but since he announced his transfer in Dec 2019, couldn't he, in theory, play in Jan 2021? Or does that clock start when he signs the papers at his new school? Either way, Muller's comments made it pretty clear we'd be seeing Sy in the 2021-22 season.

Also, first time we've had two Minnesota guys on the roster since...well....you know...
good question. I wonder if that was pre-determined. Either way, good size and 21-22 looks to be a good year.

Bird Friend

Even tho he chose to transfer in Dec., his overall clock counts that as a full season. So, he could be eligible to play this Dec., but would only have 1.5 years of eligibility. Or, he can do as he's doing, sit out the entire year and have 2 years of eligibility.

cpacmel

If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver.

So unless he started at his new school for the spring semester, he has to sit out an entire year.

MadBird

As Rodney Dangerfield always said "I get no respect" --- from today's Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

• Sy Chatman, a 6-8 forward who played for Cretin-Derham Hall, is transferring from Massachusetts to Southern Illinois. After sitting a season, he will have two years of eligibility left.

Oh well . . . .

Adunk33

Staff member
I'm thinking the Star Trib might have misinterpreted a social media post where he was congratulating Chris Cross (yes, that is his real name) on his commitment to SIU.

Top Bottom