vs Northern Iowa - 3/2/2023 - 12:00 PM - MVC TV (BSIN/BSKC/BSMW/BSS/BSSE/NBCSCH)

ISU86

The Redbirds commence postseason play when they tip-off the conference tournament at Enterprise Center to face the Panthers.

ISU finished at ninth place in conference at 6-14 (11-20 overall) whereas UNI finished at eighth place in conference at 9-11 (13-17 overall).

The "Teachers" are led in scoring and assists by Darius Burford (12.8, 2.4) and rebounding by Kendall Lewis (7.3), Seneca Knight (12.1) and Lewis (10.7) also average double-digits; the other "Teachers" are led in scoring and assists by Bowen Born (17.2, 2.6) and rebounds by Tytan Anderson (8.8), Anderson (12.6) also averages double-digits. The 'birds generally go eleven and the cats go ten deep on any given night.

According to NET Ranking, Illinois State's (271) toughest opponent was Bradley (56, two losses), their best win was against Belmont (113) and their worst loss was to Illinois-Chicago (286); Northern Iowa's (219) toughest opponent was Bradley (56, two losses), their best win was against Southern Illinois (118) and their worst loss was to Evansville (349).

At this point in the season, there are more common opponents than not (although there were none in the non-conference); as far as strengths, the Redbirds have it in free-throw percentage, offensive rebounding and blocked shots.

UNI won both match-ups this season, 66-60 at CEFCU Arena and 65-63 at McLeod Center.

Both teams have been on extended slides, as Illinois State has lost six of their last seven and Northern Iowa has lost eight of their last nine.

Both the Redbirds and Panthers are dinged up. Colton Sandage (probably) only played token minutes for us last game because it was Senior Day, and Born for them has admitted he is both beat up and fatigued. I (personally) think this sets up as a good opportunity to avoid a season sweep. I think controlling the glass will be key; also, run the best six/seven players and ride them all forty minutes (do not worry about a potential next game until there is one).

Now, after all of that, I am not going to pick against a Ben Jacobson team until Ryan Pedon shows he has come up with an elixir to cure the ISU (in general) ills against his (Jacobson's) UNI squads as we seem to struggle to stay in-sync when facing them. He is the wild-card.

TC 68, Reggie 65

Phantom

This will be another low-mid scoring slugfest, as all games vs. UNI seem to be. I still have bad memories from the '09 title game. But that's neither here nor there. Hit the glass and our FTs and we'll be right there. But I can also see this one being a game where we can't get that one elusive basket down the stretch to either give us the lead or extend it, and we come up one possession short. Yeah, THAT kind of game.

Tough one to call. Winnable, absolutely. But I never like playing UNI late in any season as it is, not even including the Jacobsen effect.

SgtHulka

This will be another low-mid scoring slugfest, as all games vs. UNI seem to be. I still have bad memories from the '09 title game. But that's neither here nor there. Hit the glass and our FTs and we'll be right there. But I can also see this one being a game where we can't get that one elusive basket down the stretch to either give us the lead or extend it, and we come up one possession short. Yeah, THAT kind of game.

Tough one to call. Winnable, absolutely. But I never like playing UNI late in any season as it is, not even including the Jacobsen effect.
If we are up by 3 late, shoot and miss, but get the rebound, for gods sake put it in, don't kick it out

Phantom

If we are up by 3 late, shoot and miss, but get the rebound, for gods sake put it in, don't kick it out
I can still see, plain as day, one of the Scottrade Center security guys walking in front of the student section and placing those MVC Champs signs there by our cheerleaders to carry onto the floor. As we started yelling at him to take them away, the Sampay play happened. It looked like slow-motion. It was the fan equivalent of rolling the champagne/beer cart into the clubhouse before the final out. I've tried so hard to forget those two moments and I just can't. I can't I say! :mad:

SgtHulka

I can still see, plain as day, one of the Scottrade Center security guys walking in front of the student section and placing those MVC Champs signs there by our cheerleaders to carry onto the floor. As we started yelling at him to take them away, the Sampay play happened. It looked like slow-motion. It was the fan equivalent of rolling the champagne/beer cart into the clubhouse before the final out. I've tried so hard to forget those two moments and I just can't. I can't I say! :mad:
I thought it was the right play at the time. Never again😵 Take the points

Redbird82

Ah, the 09 title game, still the most disappointing loss for me as Redbird fan in my 45 years of fandom. I was so sure we were breaking our NCAA less streak. Hard to believe it’s over twice as long now…☹️

Tpguy

Ah, the 09 title game, still the most disappointing loss for me as Redbird fan in my 45 years of fandom. I was so sure we were breaking our NCAA less streak. Hard to believe it’s over twice as long nI
I still have nightmares of the 30 point loss to Drake in the title game, I was there but can't remember the year

Redbird82

I still have nightmares of the 30 point loss to Drake in the title game, I was there but can't remember the year
The 83 loss to Miami in the NCAAs and when we lost to UCF and blew our only chance ever to get Illinois into CEFCU are 2 other killers

dpdoughbird06

Ah, the 09 title game, still the most disappointing loss for me as Redbird fan in my 45 years of fandom. I was so sure we were breaking our NCAA less streak. Hard to believe it’s over twice as long now…☹️
2012 comes close. Nic Moore slicing down the lane for the game-tying runner with six seconds left in regulation had a lot of us believing that this was it.

But then Wragge bombed in a pair to start OT and we were toast. ‘08, ‘15, ‘17 and ‘18 weren’t close at the end - or in some cases, at all.

dpdoughbird06

The 83 loss to Miami in the NCAAs and when we lost to UCF and blew our only chance ever to get Illinois into CEFCU are 2 other killers
I had bought almost an entire section (albeit the little wedge-shaped one) in order to keep the Orange and Blue out of RBA.

“The Bump” scuttled those plans, of course…

gobirds85

A collection of nightmares. How about some fantastic wins? Rick Lamb backing up as the Alabama player drove to the hoop in the first round game in the early ‘80s. Rick realized we were up 3 and let the dude score 2. Birds win!!

We were watching the game at Pub II and the place exploded!!! Magic.

Redbird82

A collection of nightmares. How about some fantastic wins? Rick Lamb backing up as the Alabama player drove to the hoop in the first round game in the early ‘80s. Rick realized we were up 3 and let the dude score 2. Birds win!!

We were watching the game at Pub II and the place exploded!!! Magic.
I was sick🤦🏼‍♀️ and missed the 83 title game over Tulsa. My most exciting game in person was the title win over SIU, Redbird arena was so loud!

DaveBird10

The thing is when Sampay got that rebound and kicked it out up 3 with under a minute left everyone was saying smart basketball play. With what we now know we are all saying shoot that ball.

Redbird222

When Osiris took that last long shot at the end if regulation we need Lorenzo Charles to catch it an put it back in ... Holloway was there but he caught is awkwardly.

We could have had one player step up and help O offensively. Champ just had a poor shooting day otherwise we win easily

Top Bottom