Valpo

Redbird Alum 2004

Introducing your Valparaiso Beacons!!!!

Great choice in the new name Valpo. Now not only do they have the best arena in the valley they also have the best nickname.

Adunk33

Staff member
I agree with Valpo's beat writer that the university's brand is and will continue to be "Valpo." The nickname is just something that's there. I haven't gone to a game @ Valpo but I have a hard time believing there were a lot of "Crusaders" chants.

HailISNU

Hmm... has Valpo ever seen a logo before?

Attachments

• 7D709767-36B1-458B-9574-4ABB6FF6763D.jpeg
    7D709767-36B1-458B-9574-4ABB6FF6763D.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 12

gobirds85

It's unique. They didn't go generic like Tigers or Lions or Bears (oh my!). Or Redbirds/Cardinals. I'll take unique over generic any time.

"Redbirds" is unique. I do not believe there is another D1 school using "Redbirds".

jbird

I'm old enough to remember when sane smart people ran the nation's universities.
I'm old enough to remember Alabama, Ole Miss and Kent State, and so grading on the curve an occasional dose of political correctness does not cause me to lose any sleep. As far as I'm concerned, the only people with skin in the game regarding a name change are the students and alums of that particular school. Valpo could change their name to the Gang Bangers, the White Supremacists, or the Dancing Ballerinas and it wouldn't affect the rest of my day either in the office or at home. NOTE: Before anyone takes me literally, I recognize that those extreme examples would affect the reputation of our conference, but many of you apparently already have total disrespect for our conference. I'm not a naive loyalist; I have concerns about the Valley, but not the sense of profound and apocalyptic disrespect that some on this board have.

GhostofMBA

Hmm... has Valpo ever seen a logo before?
LOL, wow.....terrible. About as good as the BU Gargoyle. The BU shield actually looks pretty good. That lighthouse....

Yeah Quin, unique is good when it is a good fit. This appears to be trying too hard to unique that it actually fails, horribly. I get the "Beacon of Light" ect of the religious undertones, but I am unsure how many people will actually think that. I am also unsure how many people were "calling" for this name change anyway. Could be another failed virtual signaling. Could have just looked at this list for better names. Religious symbolism in U.S. sports team names and mascots - Wikipedia

Top Bottom