Valparaiso - 01/21/2023 - 6:00 PM - ESPN3

ISU86

The Redbirds are having a "Black Out" night at CEFCU Arena as they return home to play the Beacons.

The Beacons are alone in tenth place in conference at 2-7 (8-12 overall) whereas the Redbirds are alone in ninth place at 3-6 in conference (8-12 overall).

The teams have yet to meet this season. They share seven common opponents (Belmont, Chicago State, Evansville, Illinois-Chicago, Indiana State, Murray State and Northern Iowa); VU has gone 2-6 and ISU is 3-5 (both teams defeated the Purple Aces; the Beacons were victorious over the Flames whereas the Redbirds won over the Bruins and Cougars).

Valparaiso led in scoring and rebounding by Ben Krikke (17.8, 5.8) with Nick Edwards leading in assists (4.9); Kobe King (17.2) and Quinton Green (10.7) also score in double-digits. Illinois State is led in scoring and assists by Darius Burford (11.1, 2.2) with Kendall Lewis leading in rebounding (6.6); Seneca Knight (10.9) and Lewis (10.1) also average double-digits. The former Crusaders generally go ten deep on any given night whereas the 'birds tend to go eleven.

According to NET Ranking, the Beacons (309) toughest opponent was Bradley (69, loss), their best win was against James Madison (83) and their worst loss was to Chicago State (299); the Redbirds (240) toughest opponent was Southern Illinois (106, loss), their best win was against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (118) and their worst loss was to Illinois-Chicago (283).

Both teams shoot about the same overall but the 'birds are better from three-point range. VU distributes and protects the ball better, whereas ISU is better on the glass and at the free-throw line.

The Beacons are a team we have seem unable (more often than not) able to put together a good result against (they seem to have our number) in recent history. They have a couple of Wisconsin transfers (Joe Hedstrom, King) but overall they generally rely on player retention. They do have heigth so it could be an interesting contrast in styles, especially if our frontcourt is able to draw them away from the hoop. Colton Sandage (back) and Harouna Sissoko (shoulder) health are a concern regarding our depth. Both teams had four players go well over thirty minutes in their last game (VU-Edwards, Green, King, Krikke; ISU-Burford, Luke Kasubke, Knight, Malachi Poindexter); however, Valpo played on Tuesday evening whereas IlSU played on Wednesday night.

Redbirds 72, Beacons 66

Baltimore Bird

Krikke will be hard for ISU to handle. He is always dribbling, twisting and looking for an angle. He passes well out of the post.
We really need to control him. I have 65-64 ISU.

cubird

Lewis shot looks like the legs of a newborn colt that just has no coordination with his upper body. He pushes the shot rather than releases the ball over his head. Three games in a row and no adjustment. It’s all a head game now!

DoubleDeuce

I'm getting frustrated not seeing McChesney in. Maybe they're saving up all of his fouls for the second half

Manchester Matt

Probably the list frustrating half of the year. Decent start and then let Valpo do whatever.

Oh, and stop letting Green get open looks.

Pathetic half.

cubird

Wide open 3s and they are making them on the road. P needs to adjust the D. Guys can’t Cheat so much on the weak side. They are caught in no man’s land guarding nobody.

Redbird82

We could come back, but sick of shitty first half’s. If you play the good teams tough, your supposed to beat the bad ones, but no we come close to them too… hope I’m wrong i don’t want another “good effort” hey we are improving. Never thought we would challenge for top 3, but sick of losing to a Valpo team that sucks evry year and beats us every year. Just hope I have to eat my words in the second half.

SlackBooDom

The combination of Lewis/Liam/Sissoko has scored a combined 60 total points in the last 4.75 games. If they don't address frontcourt scoring in the off-season, nothing about this is going to go well ever.

P

Popsto4

We could come back, but sick of shitty first half’s. If you play the good teams tough, your supposed to beat the bad ones, but no we come close to them too… hope I’m wrong i don’t want another “good effort” hey we are improving. Never thought we would challenge for top 3, but sick of losing to a Valpo team that sucks evry year and beats us every year. Just hope I have to eat my words in the second half.
I’m trying but I can’t make any sense of anything watching this one. Burford is have I g a great game. Mal is playing decent, Luke is playing hard but man we need something from our bigs anything would help.

Top Bottom