Valley Tournament

cubird

Bears pulled out of tournament because their next opponent Bradley had a tier 1+ test. Did not want to risk NCAA. Ironically Drake as a # 2 seed gets pushed up to the Final while Bradley is placed in the other bracket to play Loyola. The Birds last minute of regulation yesterday cost them a change to play for a conference championship w/o playing a team that should make it to at least the sweet 16.

cubird

WOW. Braves win Covid Championship! They benefit with the Bears pulling out because Covid Brave +s, then play Drake with only 8 cleared players. Might be their first MVC Tourney Championship.

Redbird60451

Yeah, Friday night Dan took over for the last min of that game. I was watching us lose, it did not look like the team I had seen most of the season. They couldn't hold the lead, felt like they rushed some. They would have walked over the Braves and then taken down Drake. Still I think this team will be good next year. The experience will help them. Maybe get them fired up. And I'm sure the rules are the same for the Lady Birds, so if they wanted to stick around and play one more year, I don't think Coach G will stop them.

MadBird

Yeah, Friday night Dan took over for the last min of that game. I was watching us lose, it did not look like the team I had seen most of the season. They couldn't hold the lead, felt like they rushed some. They would have walked over the Braves and then taken down Drake. Still I think this team will be good next year. The experience will help them. Maybe get them fired up. And I'm sure the rules are the same for the Lady Birds, so if they wanted to stick around and play one more year, I don't think Coach G will stop them.
I thought I read where Redmond already said she was coming back.

JHBird

I hope she's coming back. Great two way player. I think we surge past Drake next year. I'm hoping we get to see Terrion Moore for two more seasons, assuming this year doesn't count eligibility wise. I'll take another year for D. Wilson as well. She really came on the last month or so.

chuckie1980

Was this COVID championship handled properly? I do not like how I have read how things occurred. In truth I do not care....but in reality...how many teams made it to post season?

Redbird60451

I'm guessing it was handled properly. Bradley had a test that was potentially positive, but that didn't occur till Saturday (after we were already out). Rather than miss out on the NCAA Tourney, Missouri St pulled out (the team Bradley was going to play). They were basically assured in, based on their Ranking. They wanted their women to play in the Tourney after everything being scrapped last year. I am more surprised there weren't more teams on the men's side that did that. This also meant The Valley would get 2 women's teams in, Missouri St. and the Auto Qualifier (which I'm sure Elgin liked on his way out). I'm sure the dollars aren't as much as the men's tourney. But having 2 teams in, gives the conference exposure, and probably a few dollars for the conference. Really had we won that Friday, we'd be talking about us getting that auto qualifier, because we would have rolled Bradley and Drake. We let Loyola stay close, and you know what happens when you let a team stay close, they find a way to sneak by you.

Top Bottom