Transfer Portal Article

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
While Wilkerson didn’t have 25 such players walk into his office, he has had 10 to date — several key contributors, four of whom were team captains.

Digging deeper, two players — linebacker Colin Bohanek and safety Jordan Vincent — accounted for 20 percent of EIU’s total tackles and 38 percent of the team’s passes defended (interceptions plus pass breakups).
Talking about EIU. Ouch.

MadBird

I thought this was an interesting "insight":

“They’re (FBS programs) offering kids early and then they’re coming back and saying we’re filled up (because of transfer portal signees),” he said. “Those players could wind up in FCS, which is good for our Illinois schools.”

So, FCS might lose someone to the portal, but land a HS kid with FBS talent who gets squeezed out by the early signing period at FBS level.

Redbird222

I thought this was an interesting "insight":

So, FCS might lose someone to the portal, but land a HS kid with FBS talent who gets squeezed out by the early signing period at FBS level.
And then lose that kid to the portal if they develop. Vicious cycle. My guess is FBS trade up more than down in thr long run

MadBird

And then lose that kid to the portal if they develop. Vicious cycle. My guess is FBS trade up more than down in thr long run
That thought crossed my mind, I have to say. HS kid recruited by FBS, passed over for JR portal transfer, goes to FCS, 2 years goes by, FBS coaches run into kid at fast food place :rolleyes: kid enters transfer portal and heads back to first FBS school, rinse repeat.

But still, interesting theory about impact of portal on HS recruiting and who knows how its all gonna work out in the long run. Or if the portal ends up having a long run.

fourthandshort

The door used to swing much more to our favor, so FCS will definitely net less FBS transfers than before. That and the schollie count disadvantage.

That said, I still like the new rule and portal ... gives kids one free mulligan, it's only fair.

In the end, a chance to play more and start sooner is our best leverage .. plus playing in the MVFC which is as good or better than most G5 conferences - especially the upper half of MVFC. Regardless, we've had plenty of FBS transfers still find their way to NFL, plus just as many homegrown. And we get plenty of NFL attention as a result. So if we have the schollie money, we'll still get some .. but not as many for sure.

Our best bet is to attract G5 or FCS transfers. No worries on defense other than plugging holes. But hoping our new OC Peterson will help us find players (esp QBs) from the G5 and FCS levels .. HS too, but not holding my breath for that at this point.

Hoping OC Peterson / QB Annexstad have a breakout season in 2023 ... this will be very helpful to our cause in many ways ... wins, playoffs, and the transfer Portal. We need to overhaul our image in the pass game. Hoping Peterson is the guy to do this.

Last edited:

crazzymark

System needs to be defined 2 weeks in May in 2 weeks after season is completed you cannot enter the portal during the season they need to get rid of that

Hamdonger

I realize this is basketball analogy but it's all universal here.

Brad Underwood had a small group over to watch practice recently. Gave a private personal tour of State Farm Center and there are two overriding things he said...directly out of his mouth.

1. A school (like Illinois) probably knows more about mid-major players than the teams on which those mid major players play. They are CONSTANTLY in the know about good players at a bit lower level. Updates literally every day by staff whose SOLE job is to find those players. If Liam scores 30 they know immediately. If Darius has 3 breakaway slams they know. If Mr. Pence (our heralded recruit yet to arrive at ISU) has a great game at holiday tourney against Illinois High School USA...they know about it...and some coach from D1 stalwart Faber College is texting him with congrats. Good mid-major players are being 'tampered' with left and right...and most of them will get gobbled up (ie: paid) by P5. It's no different with FBS/FCS.

2. Kofi passed up around 3 MILLION DOLLARS by not returning to Illinois. Right out of Underwood's mouth. Think about that for a sec. (Said he and his agent did not seek Illinois' input. Now he's probably making 500K in Japan...if that.) Now think about the 50-70 MILLION each Big Ten school will receive YEARLY for the length of the BT Network contract. You can fund a lot of good players (heck even so-so players!) (or walk-ons like Texas Tech did this year!) using only network money.

Sorry to bring rain...but it's what our beloved Illinois State program is up against and everyone needs to wake up to the facts. Until the system implodes (and it will, just don't know when)...we're building houses on sand supplied by the big boys.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
If NIL was here on it's own it wouldn't be so bad. But the combination of the portal and NIL has caused complete chaos.

But I'm sorry, Brad, I doubt you know more than a coach does on his own team. Maybe mroe than other coaches of players on other teams. That's a really quite the statement.

Total Red

Staff member
I don't know why some people think this is going to fall apart. NILs and the transfer portal are both very popular with the players. It took a lot for them to get those doors knocked down. They aren't going back up anytime soon. Also the elite programs are doing very well in this new era so if the players and the upper fringe of college athletics are thriving exactly who is going to tear it down? Mid-majors? Don't make me laugh.

fourthandshort

I don't know why some people think this is going to fall apart. NILs and the transfer portal are both very popular with the players. It took a lot for them to get those doors knocked down. They aren't going back up anytime soon. Also the elite programs are doing very well in this new era so if the players and the upper fringe of college athletics are thriving exactly who is going to tear it down? Mid-majors? Don't make me laugh.
I know a guy ...

1671462638053.png

MadBird

Yeah, well Underwood may know a lot, but it looks to me like he's only got three transfers on his roster and one is from Texas Tech and two are from Baylor (and one of those sat out a year). So either there isn't much talent out there at the mid-major level or Underwood hasn't uncovered it and convinced it to come to C-U.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think they are going anywhere. But I think this is untenable as currently set up. Especially NIL. Way too many loop holes.

RedbirdSoxFan

What was the total number that entered the Transfer Portal in 2022? What was the number that were left not being signed by anyone?

Hamdonger

If NIL was here on it's own it wouldn't be so bad. But the combination of the portal and NIL has caused complete chaos.

But I'm sorry, Brad, I doubt you know more than a coach does on his own team. Maybe mroe than other coaches of players on other teams. That's a really quite the statement.
He was speaking with a bit of hyperbole, but the point he was making is this: Make no mistake, players who are succeeding at a lower level are on the radar BIG TIME and fresh for the picking.

Also, Chuck Norris doesn't laugh...he chuckles.

Virginia Redbird

I read a couple articles over the weekend about Ohio State losing out on recruits because they could not match the millions of dollars, yes MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, that other schools were offering recruits to sign to play. I agreed that it was unfair for universities to profit off the players while the players get their scholarship but nothing else. But now it has evolved to recruits being offered millions of dollars in NIL money to sign on the dotted line. I don't see this ending well but it is where the game is at. Well it is no longer a game on the highest levels. It is now a business just like the NFL. Really not much different anymore.

RedbirdSoxFan

I read a couple articles over the weekend about Ohio State losing out on recruits because they could not match the millions of dollars, yes MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, that other schools were offering recruits to sign to play. I agreed that it was unfair for universities to profit off the players while the players get their scholarship but nothing else. But now it has evolved to recruits being offered millions of dollars in NIL money to sign on the dotted line. I don't see this ending well but it is where the game is at. Well it is no longer a game on the highest levels. It is now a business just like the NFL. Really not much different anymore.

The University’s should be the ones paying the student/athlete’s. They are making millions off of the players. Instead they pocket the money and let the players get paid by NIL. I think that each university should have a set amount that they can use for paying their players. This amount should be set by the NCAA and it should be the same amount for every school. Maybe a percentage from the NCAA Tournament television revenue could go into a pool that would help the smaller schools. I know this will never happen, but just my $0.02

Virginia Redbird

The University’s should be the ones paying the student/athlete’s. They are making millions off of the players. Instead they pocket the money and let the players get paid by NIL. I think that each university should have a set amount that they can use for paying their players. This amount should be set by the NCAA and it should be the same amount for every school. Maybe a percentage from the NCAA Tournament television revenue could go into a pool that would help the smaller schools. I know this will never happen, but just my $0.02
The big money is here to stay but I think it could be handled better. What that better way looks like I don't know but the current way reminds me of the old NFL/AFL battle for players before the merger was agreed upon. Money rules all! When you factor in this kind of money and the easy movement with the portal I can see real chaos over the next few years. Not everyone will act with integrity or abide by the rules, what rules there are remaining. One university finds a diamond in the rough and they develop him into a stud player for a FCS or Group of 5 program. A representative of one of the Big Boys quietly approaches the player with an offer of millions of dollars if he just enters the portal and moves to their program. Everyone knows this kind of thing will happen if it is not happening already.

It really is incredible what has happened to college football in a short few years. I was thinking about the Tattoo scandal at Ohio State that cost Jim Tressel his job as head coach. The players were selling some memorabilia and got discounts at a local tattoo parlor and Tressel attempted to cover it up. It cost him his job. That was 2010 just 12 years ago. Discounts on tattoos was a huge scandal and now players are getting offers of $800,000 a year to play. Wow!

Redbird222

Agree 100%. A few 800,000 deals that go south due to lack of playing time, development, or even injury will change the future spend.

NIL money is currently not coming from TV revenue and is funded through donations and marketing dollars from 3rd parties and alumni. Everyone is competing for that money including the schools themselves, other sports, other athletes (professional and collegiate), and other organizations. The floodgates opened and there has been a surge.

Anorher potrntial surge in funding for athletes will be athletes become employees and tapping into the TV revenue and other proceeds such as gate revenues. This will be interesting because how will a male football player be compensated versus a female athletes or male nonrevenue generating athletes. I think this will be the time when you see P5 schools potentially go out on their own. The landscape is continue to change.

Top Bottom