To Specialize Or Not To Specialize.

TIMMY

Chi-bird

No need to specialize. Overuse injuries are but one of the drawbacks.

TIMMY

Thanks for this Timmy!

Altho one cringes that the sportswriter doesn't get FCS vs. DI-AA.

Like who we beat out, like what he says about the staff.
Yeah, he's not alone. There is no FCS in southeast Wisconsin. Or the entire state for that matter. The closest school is Valpo followed by ISU. Anyway, Corona is a coach's dream. Weight room warrior. He could be very good for the Beloved Birds. And he's not a safety.

fourthandshort

The best exercise for a young growing body and mind is variety. And Spack likes multi-sport athletes for good reason .. their bodies and minds are more diversely developed and adaptable. Kids should play multiple sports .. both for the fun, for the variety, to figure out what they like and are good at, and for their over physical development.

It's all good UNLESS there is excessive year round overuse, which leads to injuries and/or burnout. In this case, you would hope both the football coach and basketball coach would appreciate and respect this, and coordinate these sport transitions with the kids health in mind.

Bodies develop optimally when they are put in environment to be stressed, then recover ... stressed again, then recover again .. rinse, lather, repeat. Spack is a little too old school in this regard .. he's more of a stress, stress, stress, recover guy .. but he recruits all around athletes who know this. Though he could still stand to adapt a little more to the science/data on this topic .. want the most out of an athlete .. stress/recover, stress/recover, .....

Bottom line .. theyre kids, its HS .. they should "play".

Last edited:

fourthandshort

Yeah, he's not alone. There is no FCS in southeast Wisconsin. Or the entire state for that matter. The closest school is Valpo followed by ISU. Anyway, Corona is a coach's dream. Weight room warrior. He could be very good for the Beloved Birds. And he's not a safety.

Not yet ....

TIMMY

The best exercise for a young growing body and mind is variety. And Spack likes multi-sport athletes for good reason .. their bodies and minds are more diversely developed and adaptable. Kids should play multiple sports .. both for the fun, for the variety, to figure out what they like and are good at, and for their over physical development.

It's all good UNLESS there is excessive year round overuse, which leads to injuries and/or burnout. In this case, you would hope both the football coach and basketball coach would appreciate and respect this, and coordinate these sport transitions with the kids health in mind.

Bodies develop optimally when they are put in environment to be stressed, then recover ... stressed again, then recover again .. rinse, lather, repeat. Spack is a little too old school in this regard .. he's more of a stress, stress, stress, recover guy .. but he recruits all around athletes who know this. Though he could still stand to adapt a little more to the science/data on this topic .. want the most out of an athlete .. stress/recover, stress/recover, .....

Bottom line .. theyre kids, its HS .. they should "play".
I've interviewed a few coaches in the past. My first question was always the same. "How do you feel about kids playing multiple sports?" Unless they were a total dope they knew where I was going, so I would get the answer I expected. When the pressure started on Jimmy Pointguard to not play a fall sport I had that answer in my hip pocket.

Hamdonger

100% multi-sport athletes!!! I didn't have much internal confidence as a kid but what helped me was being able to participate in 4 sports yearly from 6th grade through graduation. I'll tell ya too - kept me out of trouble, my grades were better because of the regiment, and it taught me a hell of a lot about LIFE.

Redbirdwarrior

It is fairly common that the best football player at any given high school is also either the best basketball player or wrestler. Our best FB player was an all state DE that ended up getting a full ride to Boston College. He was also an all-state wrestler with offers from Illinois, Indiana and Colorado.

Sometimes young athletes are just the best overall athletes.

fourthandshort

I think playing up to 3 sports in a given year in grade school and 2 sports in HS is probably a good rule of thumb. I know some athletes at small HS's play 3 sports, and are also 2 way players on football team. But that's a numbers thing that really puts small school football teams at disadvantage. Level of competition is less, but burnout and injuries have to be guarded against. Some down time is also a good thing for kids.

But moreso for grade school aged kids ... trying different sports once in a while just for fun should be highly encouraged. Maybe play soccer for a couple years, then switch to swimming, while you also play baseball and basketball or whatever their thing is. By the time you narrow it down for HS, I think every kid should have tried 4-6 different sports over the course of the grade school years .. youve got 8-9 years before HS. Kids should have fun trying different things. They will avoid single sport burnout (very common problem), their bodies will be more widely developed, and they are more likely to find their best sport .. maybe earn a scholarship in lacrosse or soccer because yourre just not a good enough football player .. no matter how much your dad wants you to be a football player .. hint to dads (and some moms).. let it go !!

But during HS, I think there are very practical reasons to narrow it to 2 or 3 sports over course of those 4 years.

Last edited:

fdbird83

I think playing up to 3 sports in a given year in grade school and 2 sports in HS is probably a good rule of thumb. I know some athletes at small HS's play 3 sports, and are also 2 way players on football team. But that's a numbers thing that really puts small school football teams at disadvantage. Level of competition is less, but burnout and injuries have to be guarded against. Some down time is also a good thing for kids.

But moreso for grade school aged kids ... trying different sports once in a while just for fun should be highly encouraged. Maybe play soccer for a couple years, then switch to swimming, while you also play baseball and basketball or whatever their thing is. By the time you narrow it down for HS, I think every kid should have tried 4-6 different sports over the course of the grade school years .. youve got 8-9 years before HS. Kids should have fun trying different things. They will avoid single sport burnout (very common problem), their bodies will be more widely developed, and they are more likely to find their best sport .. maybe earn a scholarship in lacrosse or soccer because yourre just not a good enough football player .. no matter how much your dad wants you to be a football player .. hint to dads (and some moms).. let it go !!

But during HS, I think there are very practical reasons to narrow it to 2 or 3 sports over course of those 4 years.
A young man from a small school near me, now at Iowa playing football, played basketball and wrestled at the same time. His coaches learned to work with each other to make it happen.

Virginia Redbird

I think it is up to the athlete and what he/she wants to do. Back in the dark ages when I was in grade school there were not many choices. Baseball, Basketball, flag football and wrestling were about it. A number of intramural sports. High School almost everyone played three sports. Very few just did one or two, this was the 60s/70s. For my sons it was quite a bit different. So many youth sport choices and even at a young age there was incredible pressure to specialize, particularly in youth soccer. I encouraged them to try a variety of sports but that goes against the grain with many. One travel soccer coach at a big club down here told his players that they had a choice to make. Either commit full time to club soccer and decline to participate in any other sports, High School or club, or they would not see the playing field on his team very much. Club sports can be rather fanatical. It puts the players in a bad position. Let them play any sport they wish to play without pressure. Lets be honest, maybe 1% are going to be pros. A few more will get college sports scholarships. Most will benefit from the life lessons sports bring and have some great memories.

fourthandshort

I think it is up to the athlete and what he/she wants to do. Back in the dark ages when I was in grade school there were not many choices. Baseball, Basketball, flag football and wrestling were about it. A number of intramural sports. High School almost everyone played three sports. Very few just did one or two, this was the 60s/70s. For my sons it was quite a bit different. So many youth sport choices and even at a young age there was incredible pressure to specialize, particularly in youth soccer. I encouraged them to try a variety of sports but that goes against the grain with many. One travel soccer coach at a big club down here told his players that they had a choice to make. Either commit full time to club soccer and decline to participate in any other sports, High School or club, or they would not see the playing field on his team very much. Club sports can be rather fanatical. It puts the players in a bad position. Let them play any sport they wish to play without pressure. Lets be honest, maybe 1% are going to be pros. A few more will get college sports scholarships. Most will benefit from the life lessons sports bring and have some great memories.
Yep, it should always be up to the kid, though parents should certainly steer and guide the child along the way. It should always be about doing something productive with your time, getting exercise, being part of team, working hard, finding what youre good at and like, having fun doing it, etc. It can also be music, theatre, other social activity clubs at school or in the community. But exercise is important distinction when it comes to steering kids into sports .. many valuable life lessons can be learned thru sports while you are getting exercise.

You guestimated 1% may go Pro .. though not sure what level you were speaking to. Here is NCAA study from 2015 stats. Note, Basketball is 1% (M & W) and Football is 1.6% of college atletes will play Pro. The only reason Baseball and Hockey are so high is because they have minor league systems. Different study indicates that just 10% of minor league baseball players will make it to majors ... so Baseball at 9.9% getting drafted translates to just 1 % who make it to Majors .. roughly the same as Basketball and Football. I assume similar for Hockey.

Extrapolate that back to % of HS athletes that will play college .. that figure is just 7% of HS athletes will play college. So 1% of 7% of HS athletes will play pro's. So for every 1,000 HS athletes, 70 will play college, and 0.7 .. less than 1 per thousand will play pros. Basically if your school district has 1,500 HS athletes in a given graduating class .... 1 will play Pro on average.

1674227777747.png

fourthandshort

And many of them require total commitment to their sport . . . both of my girls experienced this, and weren't given a chance because they had other activities . . . one had one sport, music and theater, the other had three sports and music
I hated this in elementary school years. Though partly understood it as they get to their "varsity" years when college recruitment starts to become a very important factor. But still, if a 17 year old football stud wants to play baseball in the spring because he's also good at that and all of his friends play baseball, he should 100% play baseball if he wants to .. coaches and parents should encourage this.

Even worse IMO ... some Travel Clubs even try to discourage their athletes from playing for their school team. Not all clubs or even all coaches within clubs do this. But it got more prominent in HS if your HS team was not strong enough. I partly get it, but I don't like the message it sends to the kid about school spirit and loyalty. All important life lessons on competing and being part of a team.

DBird

I hated this in elementary school years. Though partly understood it as they get to their "varsity" years when college recruitment starts to become a very important factor. But still, if a 17 year old football stud wants to play baseball in the spring because he's also good at that and all of his friends play baseball, he should 100% play baseball if he wants to .. coaches and parents should encourage this.

Even worse IMO ... some Travel Clubs even try to discourage their athletes from playing for their school team. Not all clubs or even all coaches within clubs do this. But it got more prominent in HS if your HS team was not strong enough. I partly get it, but I don't like the message it sends to the kid about school spirit and loyalty. All important life lessons on competing and being part of a team.
I can attest to your second paragraph fourth.
I’m a retired High School coach who had another sports Head Coach continually tell their athletes not to go out for a sport in my season if they had any desire to play in their next season. They were to continue with the club team in their sport instead. My Admin did not confront her. She heard my opinion though LOL!!

fourthandshort

I’m a retired High School coach who had another sports Head Coach continually tell their athletes not to go out for a sport in my season if they had any desire to play in their next season. They were to continue with the club team in their sport instead. My Admin did not confront her. She heard my opinion though LOL!!
How you dare you look out for the students best "interests" !!! ;)

aka, what the kid would otherwise want to do if not for selfish-minded adults pressuring them for their own benefit.

p.s. well done, pushing back

Hamdonger

I'd play for you any day, Coach.👊

fdbird83

Top Bottom