To foul, or not to foul...

gobirds85

UCLA is up 3 under 5 seconds and let Bama hit a 3 at the buzzer. One of college bball's eternal questions...do you foul and send them to the line for 2 shots or do you play it out and give them the opportunity to hit the 3? Do not take into account Bama's inability to hit fts yesterday. They sucked from the line and it cost them the game.

My take is to foul and let them try to make two high pressure fts. Last time I checked, 3 is still higher than 2 and you can only score 2 points if you hit 2 fts.

Thoughts, fellow Redbirds?

TBS_20

IF it's a suicide game you foul. If it's a regular game don't foul. Sportsmanship thing. The announcers were even expecting him to foul. He's lucky he didn't lose it in overtime.

CaliRdBrd

UCLA is up 3 under 5 seconds and let Bama hit a 3 at the buzzer. One of college bball's eternal questions...do you foul and send them to the line for 2 shots or do you play it out and give them the opportunity to hit the 3? Do not take into account Bama's inability to hit fts yesterday. They sucked from the line and it cost them the game.

My take is to foul and let them try to make two high pressure fts. Last time I checked, 3 is still higher than 2 and you can only score 2 points if you hit 2 fts.

Thoughts, fellow Redbirds?
100% of the time you foul. However, you do need to make sure you don’t foul in the act of them shooting a three. Yikes!

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't Dan get roasted for not doing this during the past season? Some saying he was the only coach who thinks it was ok to not foul? And now an NCAA tournament team didn't and won? The horror....

BirdGrad2011

Didn't Dan get roasted for not doing this during the past season? Some saying he was the only coach who thinks it was ok to not foul? And now an NCAA tournament team didn't and won? The horror....
UCLA wanted to foul. If you watch the play they go to foul the player that took the inbounds pass, but he found the shooter too quickly. Shooter was ready and got the shot off before defense could attempt a foul.

Baltimore Bird

I am also in the foul every time group, but only with less than 3 seconds left. I agree with BirdGrad2011 in that Bama designed a good play and they did not have a chance to do it. I was rooting for UCLA, so I was happy to see them still win the game.

It worked for Houston in the 1977 NIT too. They fouled the Iceman and he hit the 2 FT's, but we lost in OT. I know no 3 pointer, etc. and the situation was way different, but it was a great memory.

CaliRdBrd

UCLA wanted to foul. If you watch the play they go to foul the player that took the inbounds pass, but he found the shooter too quickly. Shooter was ready and got the shot off before defense could attempt a foul.
Exactly the difference...UCLA wanted to foul but ‘Bama was too quick. Muller just didn’t think fouling was a good idea.
Is anyone really surprised?

Adunk33

I think the real question is... if you’re down 2 with 6 seconds to go and your team has the ball do you... attack the basket and go for a lay up to tie and send to OT, or do you sit back and launch a 30 footer?

....Michigan+B1G 14= Losers.

TBS_20

I think the real question is... if you’re down 2 with 6 seconds to go and your team has the ball do you... attack the basket and go for a lay up to tie and send to OT, or do you sit back and launch a 30 footer?

in basketball i go for the win every time. thats just my philosophy. i know many would go for the tie. football is different. 2pt conversions are not as often converted so i go for the extra point and tie.

gobirds85

Missed fts + missed opportunities + inability to count=Losers. The big ten crapped the bed this entire tournament and I don't want to hear how they beat themselves up all year. That's crap. They were simply overrated this season and the tournament exposed that.

With that being said, we will probably see 11-12 of them in next year's tourney.

Adunk33

in basketball i go for the win every time. thats just my philosophy. i know many would go for the tie. football is different. 2pt conversions are not as often converted so i go for the extra point and tie.
Just for some background, this post is based on having some $$ on Michigan to win, so it comes with some bias. I think that in basketball, the flow of the game (how it was called, runs, etc) determines if you pull out for a three or take it to the rack. Juwan drew up a nice play to get the guard going down hill towards the basket, the guard stopped and pulled up a three. The lane was there had he driven in. I do believe Michigan probably wins that one if it goes to OT. That said, I thought the same about Bama when they tied it with a last second three in the S16.

I don't see how anyone beats, or really gives Gonzaga a game. They've just been destroying everyone in their path on this run. The fact that "they didn't play anyone" in the regular season, certainly doesn't appear to be hurting them now.

CaliRdBrd

Kinda depends on your situation and if your studs are in foul trouble or are out. If not, I play for the tie and then take care of business in OT.

CaliRdBrd

Just for some background, this post is based on having some $$ on Michigan to win, so it comes with some bias. I think that in basketball, the flow of the game (how it was called, runs, etc) determines if you pull out for a three or take it to the rack. Juwan drew up a nice play to get the guard going down hill towards the basket, the guard stopped and pulled up a three. The lane was there had he driven in. I do believe Michigan probably wins that one if it goes to OT. That said, I thought the same about Bama when they tied it with a last second three in the S16.

I don't see how anyone beats, or really gives Gonzaga a game. They've just been destroying everyone in their path on this run. The fact that "they didn't play anyone" in the regular season, certainly doesn't appear to be hurting them now.
While not the regular season slog of the Big Ten, the Zags played a pretty decent nonCon.

TBS_20

They played #6, #11, #3, and #16 along with two games against a very good conference opponent in BYU and won all 6 games. I don't know how anyone looks st that schedule and says they didn't play anybody. They also had #2 scheduled but they canceled that game.

Top Bottom