Tinsley

Redbirdwarrior

So, question:

Is Will Tinsley hurt? Why has he racked up a total of 5 min in the last 2 games while Matt Hein has been on the floor for 39?

The kid can hit from distance, has length to defend and has been able to play off the ball pretty well. He had 2 or 3 games last year where he absolutely carried the team, led the team in blocks and played all 33 games, and now he couldn't get on the court, it seems, if he were the only guy left on the team.

Why? What am I missing?

MadBird

I have no explanation, and have always thought Tinsley did some good things, but I don't think he's really ever got his long shot going. The stats say he's the second worst 3 point shooter we have, and if Hein had hit only one more three he'd be ahead of Tinsley too.

His best games that I've seen are when he was playing in the paint and hitting the boards. Wish he could get the trey going.

Redbird60451

Could it be Hein is a better perimeter defender? Not saying Hein is a defensive god. Just saying that he may play the position on the perimeter and moving in his particular zone better than Tinsley wasa doing.

MadBird

Took another look and Tinsley is also the worst FT shooter of anyone who's gotten PT this year, altho he's only shot 4 - 2 for 4 at the line.

Redbirdwarrior

MadBird said:
I have no explanation, and have always thought Tinsley did some good things, but I don't think he's really ever got his long shot going. The stats say he's the second worst 3 point shooter we have, and if Hein had hit only one more three he'd be ahead of Tinsley too.

His best games that I've seen are when he was playing in the paint and hitting the boards. Wish he could get the trey going.

We aren't exactly "heavy" on paint players right now. One would think that he would be incredibly valuable being a baseline cleanup man around the rim. Is he in someone's doghouse?

PurpleRedbird

All comes down to defense to me. Will was getting beat a lot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cubird

4 fts all year long tells the story. He is not using his athletic advantages to get to the rim.

Retire 12

Soft. Unfortunately. I like him, and think he could have been an asset.

Avoids contact, floats, slow first step on defense. Not really the script we're trying to write.

SgtHulka

Redbird60451 said:
Could it be Hein is a better perimeter defender? Not saying Hein is a defensive god. Just saying that he may play the position on the perimeter and moving in his particular zone better than Tinsley wasa doing.

Pretty much this, and not mentally dealing with his shooting woes

Adunk33

Staff member
Muller has made it very clear minutes are won and lost in practice. Body language and effort are included in these decisions. When Boogie's shot isn't falling he doesn't play good defense. His defense has been pretty bad this season, and he shoots a low percentage. Remember the last 12 or so games last season when Boogie was making shots, he started to be one of our better defenders. That seems to be it to me, in agreement with others who have provided stats about his shooting woes.

And yes. Hein is a better perimeter defender than Tinsley. Like it or not, Hein is our second best defender behind Chas.

birdlife

to me, its gotta be the defense, even though tinsley and hein dont play the same "roles" on either end of the floor.
hein usually guards the 1 or 2, maybe the 3. tinsley is generally guarding the 3 or 4.
they both get beat off the dribble fairly regularly but i think hein shows more of an understanding for defensive rotations. could be another example of muller making a point that if you dont do it in practice, youre definitely not going to do it in a game, so you just wont see the floor.

Baltimore Bird

I will take Tinsley over Hein every day. Hein has zero upside potential. Tinsley can rebound and block shots. Hein can do neither and he cannot score nor does he get any assists. Tinsley has had games where he scored more points than Hein has had all season. I am very tired of people defending Hein. He is not good at basketball. Yes, he follows directions and that is it.

IHateWSU

Baltimore Bird said:
I will take Tinsley over Hein every day. Hein has zero upside potential. Tinsley can rebound and block shots. Hein can do neither and he cannot score nor does he get any assists. Tinsley has had games where he scored more points than Hein has had all season. I am very tired of people defending Hein. He is not good at basketball. Yes, he follows directions and that is it.

Hein will at least box out the shooter instead of flying by them trying to block a shot allowing them to get the rebound.

SgtHulka

IHateWSU said:
Baltimore Bird said:

Hein will at least box out the shooter instead of flying by them trying to block a shot allowing them to get the rebound.

:clap:

AgGrad88

This thread has come down to which bad player is less bad, we have an athletically gifted bad player and a bad player that is less athletic but does what the coach asks of him.... decisions decisions! lol :think:

V Boy

Baltimore Bird said:

This is exactly the wrong way to think about this.

We have to stop analyzing potential and just analyze performance. If you don't perform over and over, then your potential is meaningless.

Redbirdwarrior

Please don't let this come off as a knock on Matty. He is having a fine season for his ability (and paying his own way to do it, BTW). If our identity is defense first, then I like Hein getting that much PT, but I have to think that coach isn't sitting a guy that can fill 3 positions serviceably unless something is wrong.

WT can play the 2 and 3 well and cover the 4 on most teams.

Redbird222

Redbirdwarrior said:
Please don't let this come off as a knock on Matty. He is having a fine season for his ability (and paying his own way to do it, BTW). If our identity is defense first, then I like Hein getting that much PT, but I have to think that coach isn't sitting a guy that can fill 3 positions serviceably unless something is wrong.

WT can play the 2 and 3 well and cover the 4 on most teams.
Hein has a scholly ever since Clarance left.

Chicagobirdfan

Chastain is now taking tinleys minutes because he hustles, boxes out and has a good attitude on the floor.

Top Bottom