Time to join the AAC

crazzymark

Time to join the AA see, and play on ESPN on Friday nights and exposure, and not the first year or second year 1/3 year pay for a ball and then after that move up to a bigger conference

fourthandshort

I'll get back to you

friends-ross.gif

jbird

Maybe it's time for crazy to join AA.

I wonder why it didn't occur to anybody before now to play on national TV every week and move up into a high profile conference. Seems like a no brainer, and I'm speaking as someone who had part of his brain removed by a neurosurgeon in 2010.

TheTruth

Time to join the AA see, and play on ESPN on Friday nights and exposure, and not the first year or second year 1/3 year pay for a ball and then after that move up to a bigger conference
Sadly that’s not an option. It could’ve been, it should’ve been, but there is no college athletic program that has wasted as much potential as Illinois State.

Virginia Redbird

There are going to be a couple of openings in the Big 12 in the not too distant future. Hey, let's move there and the boys can get their butts pounded and then handed to them each and every week! If there was ever going to be a move up that time I believe has long since passed. I don't think the University was ever going to consider a move up anyway.

tgate

There are going to be a couple of openings in the Big 12 in the not too distant future. Hey, let's move there and the boys can get their butts pounded and then handed to them each and every week! If there was ever going to be a move up that time I believe has long since passed. I don't think the University was ever going to consider a move up anyway.
We do the same in MVFC

fourthandshort

Only last spring and this season so far. The Birds have done decently in the MVFC over the past several years.
In the Spack era ... we've made Quarters in 2012, finals in 2014, quarters in 2015, should have made quarters in 2016 (UCA loss), and then quarters in 2019. Should have also made playoffs in 2011 - that team may have been better than 2012 team. Very few teams in FCS have that track record in last 10 years .. not even SDSU or UNI. We play in the best conference bar none in the last decade.

This will be a down year, but the roster is strong. We showed that in 2.5 quarters at #9 SIU and for 2 quarters against #16 MoST today We lost a lot from 2019, then pandemic hit. Clearly, we just need more reps, more experience. so we're building for 2022 ... much like 2013 was building for 2014 - that turned out ok.

I'm going to be patient with this team. Waring is showing some promise. RBs are just about there - we've got a nice young stable. WRs have some work to do .. lost our 2 starters from 2019, and other aspects of pass game are not working yet. Need OL and defense to start developing into more consistency. It will come together slow this fall, then watch how these same guys look next fall.

redbirds2000

In the Spack era ... we've made Quarters in 2012, finals in 2014, quarters in 2015, should have made quarters in 2016 (UCA loss), and then quarters in 2019. Should have also made playoffs in 2011 - that team may have been better than 2012 team. Very few teams in FCS have that track record in last 10 years .. not even SDSU or UNI. We play in the best conference bar none in the last decade.

This will be a down year, but the roster is strong. We showed that in 2.5 quarters at #9 SIU and for 2 quarters against #16 MoST today We lost a lot from 2019, then pandemic hit. Clearly, we just need more reps, more experience. so we're building for 2022 ... much like 2013 was building for 2014 - that turned out ok.

I'm going to be patient with this team. Waring is showing some promise. RBs are just about there - we've got a nice young stable. WRs have some work to do .. lost our 2 starters from 2019, and other aspects of pass game are not working yet. Need OL and defense to start developing into more consistency. It will come together slow this fall, then watch how these same guys look next fall.
So, what's the prediction for next Fall?

fourthandshort

So, what's the prediction for next Fall?
Too early to say. For perspective, I've had this year pegged as rebuild year for a while.

But based on what I've seen so far, I see good potential for next fall. I'm just feeling like we will be back in contention .. partly because I believe in Spack's program (other than QBs and pass game), and I like what I see so far with this group of inexperienced players. I even like Waring, so far. We're just not ready to play a full game or full season for that matter. But I think we will improve slowly over this season, assuming we're reasonably healthy. The other good thing about not fighting for playoff lives, we can play more into our 2 and 3 deep to see what we've got.

So no way to predict next fall right now .. certainly also depends on who we play and where theyre at. But if past is prologue .. and to put a probability and range on it, I think there is much better than 50/50 chance that we will win at least 7 games in 2022, which should get us playoff bid. But again, it's way too early to predict anything .. I just think this roster looks potent, and believe Spack can get this back on track, just like he's done before.

2010 defense was horrible after suprisingly solid 2009 - so Spack fired DC (Purdue buddy Elmassian) and took it over in 2011. We went from bottom 10/15 defense to top 10 defense in 1 season with Spack at DC. Look it up .. incredible turn around defensively. The 2011 team was screwed out of playoff bid .. #1 ranked NDSU coach said so, and #5 UNI coach said so - both said ISU was one of the best teams they played all year and in country. This was Spack's doing in just his 3rd season. Yes, he relied on some good FBDS transfers .. but thats because he knew what we needed to win.

2013 team lost a lot from strong 2011 & 12 teams: defense started horrible, and slowly improved. offense started mediocre and got steadily worse. That same roster + Tre Roberson went to Natty a year later and was 1:38 from winning. Tre was huge addition, but the 2013 roster was developed by Spack's system.

2021 team ... story is yet play out. I think the roster has what it needs .. just have a gap in what is needed to win this year.

Top Bottom