The War on 74 rivalry contiues

fdbird83

Quote from Anthony Parker in today’s PJStar article:

"It's great to see Bradley in first place today. And it's great to see Illinois State is not."

jbird

I blame Stallings for leaving the cupboard bare when he bailed for Vandy . . . and Greenspan for settling for Richardson. We've never really recovered.
I second the Motion to lay a lot of the blame at Ric Greenspan's feet. He was on his way out the door to West Point and did the lazy thing by promoting Richardson without taking the time for a professional, responsible search for a successor to Stallings. As a result, I think we went first-to-worst and have never recovered.

redblood

There have been plenty of chances since then, with good rosters and some good coaches. A couple years all they had to do was not get destroyed in the Arch Madness title game and we make the dance. That’s what stinks. Lots of shoulda, coulda, woulda…But close doesn’t count except in horseshoes and hand-grenades.

MadBird

I second the Motion to lay a lot of the blame at Ric Greenspan's feet. He was on his way out the door to West Point and did the lazy thing by promoting Richardson without taking the time for a professional, responsible search for a successor to Stallings. As a result, I think we went first-to-worst and have never recovered.
A little reality check - and I'm not arguing Richardson was the best choice at the time. But he did win 21 games one season, and finished with a record of 56-64, not terrible, not good for sure. But his successor, the great Porter Moser, finished his ISU career with a record of 51-67, a bit worse. And then Tim Jankovich had 4 20+ win seasons in 5. So, I'd say that was a recovery. Anyway, I wouldn't put it on Richardson.

Bird Friend

A little reality check - and I'm not arguing Richardson was the best choice at the time. But he did win 21 games one season, and finished with a record of 56-64, not terrible, not good for sure. But his successor, the great Porter Moser, finished his ISU career with a record of 51-67, a bit worse. And then Tim Jankovich had 4 20+ win seasons in 5. So, I'd say that was a recovery. Anyway, I wouldn't put it on Richardson.
My point is that we have never gotten back to where we were since Stallings left. We haven’t cured our cancer, signs of remission doesn’t mean we’re cancer free.

Bird Friend

Tarise Bryson
L. D. Murdock
Sean Riley
Victor Williams
Shawn Jeppson
Kyle Cartmill
P.J. Smith
Vic Williams transfered at the same time Stallings left, leaving us without a PG. Cartmill had graduated. PJ Smith played that year, then left. Isaac Kincaid (a stud 2-guard from Indy who was academic disqualified Stallings' last year) left at semester break. Sean Riley wasn't on the roster, I believe because he decided to go to med school (iirc). Murdock played half the year and then blew out his knee. Ryan Crowley ran point for a good portion of that season. Murdock and Crowley were seniors. We essentially had Bryson and Jeppson . . . and little to nothing else for Richardson to work from.

RedbirdSoxFan

I don't understand your post. Former players who Stallings recruited for $1000?
This was the roster Stallings left. What these student-athletes decided to do after he accepted the head coaching position at Vanderbilt was their decision. So he did not leave the cupboard empty. (I stand corrected on Kyle Cartmill)

Bird Friend

This was the roster Stallings left. What these student-athletes decided to do after he accepted the head coaching position at Vanderbilt was their decision. So he did not leave the cupboard empty. (I stand corrected on Kyle Cartmill)
Williams had already stated he was transferring before Stallings left.

dpdoughbird06

Vic Williams transfered at the same time Stallings left, leaving us without a PG. Cartmill had graduated. PJ Smith played that year, then left. Isaac Kincaid (a stud 2-guard from Indy who was academic disqualified Stallings' last year) left at semester break. Sean Riley wasn't on the roster, I believe because he decided to go to med school (iirc). Murdock played half the year and then blew out his knee. Ryan Crowley ran point for a good portion of that season. Murdock and Crowley were seniors. We essentially had Bryson and Jeppson . . . and little to nothing else for Richardson to work from.
Tarise Bryson and a program coming off of consecutive NCAA appearances - with a win and a scare of a top seed - is not a bad situation to walk into. Especially with a still-new arena and then-rabid fan base.

Bird Friend

Tarise Bryson and a program coming off of consecutive NCAA appearances - with a win and a scare of a top seed - is not a bad situation to walk into. Especially with a still-new arena and then-rabid fan base.
I agree, but they were a year removed from the NCAA. They were coming off a 16-15 (7-11) season, which had a lot to do with Rico Hill opting to go pro and not play his final year. So maybe I should blame Hill, not Stallings.

Top Bottom