The Offense looked good! Still looking for starting wide receivers.

Virginia Redbird

There were three articles in the Pantagraph about the spring showcase. Evidently, the offense looked pretty decent and the new O-Coordinator even tossed in a couple of interesting plays to spice things up a bit. Gee...why the hell would they do that? Do you mean we are not going to hand the ball off left, hand it off right, run it up the middle, and then attempt a 5-yard pass on 3rd and 12? Don't hammer me ... I am just kidding a bit. I am really looking forward to watching the offense develop next season. I am optimistic with a new QB, new OC and we will have to see who steps up at wide receiver. I never am very concerned about defense. Coach Spack seems to always pull a good D out of his hat. It has been the pathetic offense that has been the stumbling block.

Also an article about the groundbreaking for the Indoor Practice Facility. 2022 may be shaping up as a good year for the gridiron Birds. I hope so!

MadBird

There were three articles in the Pantagraph about the spring showcase. Evidently, the offense looked pretty decent and the new O-Coordinator even tossed in a couple of interesting plays to spice things up a bit. Gee...why the hell would they do that? Do you mean we are not going to hand the ball off left, hand it off right, run it up the middle, and then attempt a 5-yard pass on 3rd and 12? Don't hammer me ... I am just kidding a bit. I am really looking forward to watching the offense develop next season. I am optimistic with a new QB, new OC and we will have to see who steps up at wide receiver. I never am very concerned about defense. Coach Spack seems to always pull a good D out of his hat. It has been the pathetic offense that has been the stumbling block.

Also an article about the groundbreaking for the Indoor Practice Facility. 2022 may be shaping up as a good year for the gridiron Birds. I hope so!

I was impressed with what seem to be a few passes to the RB's. Use all of the pieces in the pass game - not just WR's, but TE's and RB's too. You also get the feeling Wenkers Wright is gonna see the field quite a bit this year.

Total Red

Staff member
I enjoyed the scrimmage yesterday. We have a starting QB we believe in and that bodes well for the season. With Annexstad we can go down 2 TD's and the game may not be over. There will be a battle for #2. Waring came into the Spring as the presumptive backup, but he has been limited by an injury. QB Timothy Dorsey finished the scrimmage with a flourish yesterday in his bid to be #2. Who will Annexstad throw to? The TE's and RB's look very good and that's with starting RB Cole Mueller sitting out the scrimmage to avoid injury. As Virginia mentioned the WR position is up for grabs. There have been some impressive receptions this spring but no one person really stands out. I think Tristan Bailey will start but I'm not sure after that. You have walk-ons like Daniel Sobkowicz and Joe Dochee looking just as good as the scholarship WR's. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.
Since TE is very strong (co-starters Deming and Taula, backups Charles and Spaulding) we could see plenty of 2 TE formations. With McCloyn gone we may see less of the FB position.
Defensively Coach Spack has said that he would like to add a pass rusher. You would never pass on a good one, but I think we're in fairly good shape with a deep and strong front 7. Vandenburgh will bring a lot of pressure and backup Wedig is making his presence felt. Damien Jackson looks good at the other OLB and we didn't even see Jeremiah Jordan who has tremendous upside potential. He's been out this spring with an injury. If I have concerns with the defense, it is the secondary that isn't as experienced and deep as I would like it to be. We've had an incredible run of DB recruits over the last 5-6 years. We've brought in players that were desired by FBS programs and the NFL. We lost 3 safeties from last season. Clayton Isbell, Iverson Brown and Peyton Jones. Dillon Gearhart is a former walk-on but he looks ready to go at one Safety. Keondre Jackson is still a little raw but he has some Clayton Isbell in his game. We're very young after that with Dwyer and Zuccollo. I'd like to see a veteran Safety come in. Again, you never pass on a good lineman but I think our remaining needs lean towards the skill positions. A safety, a wide receiver and a Quarterback. We have a very good QB but QB's get injured.

78Redbird

Curious if anyone who was at the Spring Game could provide a listing of who the starting first and second team units were for both the offense and defense.

Total Red

Staff member
Curious if anyone who was at the Spring Game could provide a listing of who the starting first and second team units were for both the offense and defense.

I can give you the depth chart as it existed at the START of spring practice with some notations.

Offense
QB Annexstad, Waring
RB C. Mueller, P. Brown
H-Back Presson, Gothelf
WR Khepra, Buckner
WR Watson, Bailey
Slot Carr, Carter
TE Taula, Deming
LT Zambrano, Gudaitis
LG Bussone, Wright
C Bones, Bromagen
RG Z. Mueller, Rios
RT Asche, Forystek

Notes - Injured players that played that saw little to no action in the spring and the player(s) that saw increased playing time as a result.
QB Waring inj - Dorsey, Brennan
RB C. Mueller inj avoidance - Wright
H-Back Presson inj - Gothelf
Slot Carr inj - Carter, Dochee
RT Asche inj - Forystek, Turner

Defense

J LBer Vandenburgh, D. Jackson
DE Deming, Dinga
NG Okolo, Hickcox
DT Lewan, Cross
Sam LBer Jordan, Edwards
Mike LBer Wilhoit, Bellizzi
Will LBer Campos, McCoy
CB B. Price, Bowens
CB West, K. Jackson
SS Tracy, Dwyer
FS Gearhart, Schmitt

Notes
Outside LBer Jeremiah Jordan was injured. D. Jackson flipped to the other OLB position and started along with Vandenburgh. Wedig moved in at OLB.
NG - Okolo inj, Hickcox and Zugenbuehler
SS Tracy inj, Keondre Jackson moved to Safety, Wilson moved in at corner

Last edited:

DaveBird10

I mentioned with people while watching the spring game that Peterson may use a lot of 2 tight end sets and passing with screens or to the running backs out of the backfield. Birds are pretty deep with Taula and Deming at tight end and then with Mueller, Wright, Pha'leak Brown at running back. At running back that doesn't even get to Nigel White and Sean Allen. Peterson seems like he's going to call plays to use to the strengths that we ISU has, which will be a welcome site to see.

fourthandshort

I can give you the depth chart as it existed at the START of spring practice with some notations.

Offense
QB Annexstad, Waring
RB C. Mueller, P. Brown
H-Back Presson, Gothelf
WR Khepra, Buckner
WR Watson, Bailey
Slot Carr, Carter
TE Taula, Deming
LT Zambrano, Gudaitis
LG Bussone, Wright
C Bones, Bromagen
RG Z. Mueller, Rios
RT Asche, Forystek

Notes - Injured players that played that saw little to no action in the spring and the player(s) that saw increased playing time as a result.
QB Waring inj - Dorsey, Brennan
RB C. Mueller inj avoidance - Wright
H-Back Presson inj - Gothelf
Slot Carr inj - Carter, Dochee
RT Asche inj - Forystek, Turner

Defense

J LBer Vandenburgh, D. Jackson
DE Deming, Dinga
NG Okolo, Hickcox
DT Lewan, Cross
Sam LBer Jordan, Edwards
Mike LBer Wilhoit, Bellizzi
Will LBer Campos, McCoy
CB B. Price, Bowens
CB West, K. Jackson
SS Tracy, Dwyer
FS Gearhart, Schmitt

Notes
Outside LBer Jeremiah Jordan was injured. D. Jackson flipped to the other OLB position and started along with Vandenburgh. Wedig moved in at OLB.
NG - Okolo inj, Hickcox and Zugenbuehler
SS Tracy inj, Keondre Jackson moved to Safety, Wilson moved in at corner
I think RB Nigel White will become more and more prominent this fall .. surprisingly tough for undersized player .. outplays his weight IMO and had great quicks and field sense .. though the latter can always stand for improvement given how little field he has seen.

I like Mueller and Brown .... but I want to see more of White this fall.

TIMMY

I still want a WR or two if we can get one. Sounds like our running game should be fine and the dink and dunks will be there. We'll stretch things horizontally. Gotta find a way to stretch things vertically. No more loading the box on us this year!

fourthandshort

MadBird

I still want a WR or two if we can get one. Sounds like our running game should be fine and the dink and dunks will be there. We'll stretch things horizontally. Gotta find a way to stretch things vertically. No more loading the box on us this year!
Don't wanna count on a rookie, but we do have coming in a 6'3 WR from Minnesota, David Connors, could be some help.

TIMMY

Don't wanna count on a rookie, but we do have coming in a 6'3 WR from Minnesota, David Connors, could be some help.
I believe there are a couple of Gopher wideouts in the portal along with at least 2 former Illini WR's. Don't know what they've got but if they've got it maybe a reunion with their former QB or OC is in order.

MadBird

Will stash this here, looking for more help on new OC"s staff:

Illinois State (FCS): Illinois State is looking to hire an offensive graduate assistant ASAP. Open to experience with any / all offensive positions. Responsibilities include film breakdown / input, Vizio / Powerpoint drawings, scouting reports, scout team. Tuition for grad school is provided and will receive monthly stipend for housing / meals. Interested candidates can contact RedbirdFootball@ilstu.edu.

Virginia Redbird

Will stash this here, looking for more help on new OC"s staff:

Illinois State (FCS): Illinois State is looking to hire an offensive graduate assistant ASAP. Open to experience with any / all offensive positions. Responsibilities include film breakdown / input, Vizio / Powerpoint drawings, scouting reports, scout team. Tuition for grad school is provided and will receive monthly stipend for housing / meals. Interested candidates can contact RedbirdFootball@ilstu.edu.

Sounds like a great opportunity for some young aspiring coach.

Total Red

Staff member
We've finally come to a quiet period for the transfer portal. Very few new names are being added. Activity should pick up again in August. There are a lot of uncommitted players in the portal but not as many as it would appear. 247 doesn't keep up with all the commitments. If a player chooses a Juco or FCS school it often goes unreported on their website and the player still shows as uncommitted. There are also players that decide to end their college careers if they don't get an offer they like. We were recruiting a potential QB transfer and he chose a job with Marriott instead. Kids do crazy things lol.

So we could still see a summer transfer at WR but it's time to accept that we may be going to battle with what we have. If we played a game today my best guess for starting receivers would be this -

WR - Bailey
WR - Khepra
Slot - Carter

backups

WR - Watson
WR - Buckner
Slot - Carr

Bailey and Watson are set as wideouts but I think the other 4 are fairly interchangeable between WR and Slot. Even though the Redbirds have been primarily a running team the last couple of seasons we have often seen 3 receivers in passing situations with just 1 RB. Will this continue? Maybe, but TE could be our best offensive position. I like having co-starters Bryson Deming and Tanner Taula on the field at the same time. Both TE's can block and catch so you're not giving away a play call preference (run vs. pass) by going with 2 TE's. Get your best 11 on the field.

MadBird

We've finally come to a quiet period for the transfer portal. Very few new names are being added. Activity should pick up again in August. There are a lot of uncommitted players in the portal but not as many as it would appear. 247 doesn't keep up with all the commitments. If a player chooses a Juco or FCS school it often goes unreported on their website and the player still shows as uncommitted. There are also players that decide to end their college careers if they don't get an offer they like. We were recruiting a potential QB transfer and he chose a job with Marriott instead. Kids do crazy things lol.

So we could still see a summer transfer at WR but it's time to accept that we may be going to battle with what we have. If we played a game today my best guess for starting receivers would be this -

WR - Bailey
WR - Khepra
Slot - Carter

backups

WR - Watson
WR - Buckner
Slot - Carr

Bailey and Watson are set as wideouts but I think the other 4 are fairly interchangeable between WR and Slot. Even though the Redbirds have been primarily a running team the last couple of seasons we have often seen 3 receivers in passing situations with just 1 RB. Will this continue? Maybe, but TE could be our best offensive position. I like having co-starters Bryson Deming and Tanner Taula on the field at the same time. Both TE's can block and catch so you're not giving away a play call preference (run vs. pass) by going with 2 TE's. Get your best 11 on the field.
All good observations.

Also, here's hoping our new OC will find more ways to use the RB's in the passing game. In addition to creative use of the TE's.

Bird Friend

WR - Bailey
WR - Khepra
Slot - Carter

backups

WR - Watson
WR - Buckner
Slot - Carr

Looking for a different kind of pass with different receivers?

TIMMY

WR - Bailey
WR - Khepra
Slot - Carter

backups

WR - Watson
WR - Buckner
Slot - Carr

You make a really great point about the 2 TE's 12 personnel can really give a defense fits. Especially if you throw in great play-action. I'm looking forward to some great football after a long hot beautiful summer!!!!

Top Bottom