The best 25 years of Redbird football

ISUBU

The Pantagraph noted that it has been 25 years (1995) since Todd Berry was named coach of the Redbirds, and it got me to thinking. While Berry was with the Redbirds only 4 seasons, he deserves credit for changing expectations of Redbird football and ushering in a period of winning. I distinctly remember telling a coworker at the time, that Berry was talking about competing for the national title, and he meant it. Few people thought that was realistic in 1995.

The winning wasn't immediate, and Berry left after his most successful season with a career record at an even .500 (24-24), but he did show that ISU football could be among the top teams in the USA. Denver Johnson followed Berry, and while he had a losing record overall (48-54) he did have a couple of strong seasons, and the team reached new heights of fan interest with strong attendance. Of course Brock Spack has developed consistent excellence and winning, and his record shows that he is obviously the greatest ISU football coach in program history.

The I-AA/FCS playoffs started in 1978. I'm not sure of the details, but the Birds weren't eligible for the playoffs a few of those early seasons as they were classified I-A. But in any case, no Redbird team made the playoffs in the 18 seasons before Berry was hired as coach.

In the 24 seasons since? The Birds have made 8 trips to the playoffs, and have played 18 playoff games.

The three coaches before Berry were a combined 79-121-6. Berry, Johnson and Spack combined are 156-128. Spack alone has won more games (84-50) than those three coaches combined.

Of course there were talented players and coaches through the years, and some big wins here and there. But we have definitely seen the best years of Redbird football over this past generation.

Whenever the Birds open up in 2021, I'll be excited to see them.

crazzymark

I remember back in 84 when my housemate was an O lineman and he was 6'2" 280 and the line was about the same or shorter..now ISU has one.of the biggest O lines in college fb. 6'6" and 325 ave...wow was this program has grown and now an elite program in talent and exposure. Great job Coach Spack

Top Bottom