Teams opting out

fdbird83

Sources: Multiple mid-major programs are opting to not play guarantee games against high-major programs because it gives power conference teams a "free live evaluation" of future players who could move up via the transfer portal. The level of separation has NEVER been greater.

This should have been in the basketball thread. Jon Rothstein is the source

Last edited:

MadBird

Here's a short article from footballscoop.com I saw earlier today. Not much "substance" other than the reference to Rothstein. But interesting to talk about, think about. Makes some sense, but then again, when you're spending what the P5 spend on recruiting and so forth, does anyone really think they're gonna "hide" a decent guy from them??

gobirds85

Here's a short article from footballscoop.com I saw earlier today. Not much "substance" other than the reference to Rothstein. But interesting to talk about, think about. Makes some sense, but then again, when you're spending what the P5 spend on recruiting and so forth, does anyone really think they're gonna "hide" a decent guy from them??

There are the occasional "diamonds in the rough" that sneak through or just blow up when they get into college but I have to agree with you on this. It gets harder and harder for the teams outside the top 6 or 7 conferences to compete.

jbird

So.......are posters who have been criticizing Muller for not being able to land high quality recruits now going to concede that his tactic is ingenious?

fourthandshort

I think this is a legit concern ... a top level program seeing a lower level program player up close competing against their own guys in a live game. This is an ideal poaching environment.

But I still like the 1 free transfer rule for any reason. And then full restrictions after that. Much more good/fair than not. In the end, the door swings both ways because there are still the same # of starting spots and playing reps available at top levels .. so the door will swing both ways for any player who wants to see the court/field sooner and more. To this point, it has probably been tilted more in favor of Mid-Major, G5 and FCS, than not .. just a guess, I have no idea if that is true.

StLRedbird

So this puts G5 and FCS schools into new, unfamiliar territory in that they can lose scholarship players to P5 schools with no wait. The advantage that FCS had over FBS that players could "drop down" without a wait is gone. There is some implication for FCS vs non-P5 FBS here. Not sure what that is, but the math has changed.

Bird Friend

Staff member
So this puts G5 and FCS schools into new, unfamiliar territory in that they can lose scholarship players to P5 schools with no wait. The advantage that FCS had over FBS that players could "drop down" without a wait is gone. There is some implication for FCS vs non-P5 FBS here. Not sure what that is, but the math has changed.
Ahh, maaaaan . . . not another new math!

fourthandshort

This is definitely true in terms of FCS studs transferring before 5th year as grad. I guess my lesser point is that ultimately it will somewhat even out since there are same # of starting spots and reps. But stlrb is correct .. immediate PT will hurt FCS moreso ... my even-ing out theory wont be anywhere near 1 for 1 nor as immediate as the increase in # of studs we lose.

So walking my post halfway back.

fourthandshort

This is definitely true in terms of FCS studs transferring before 5th year as grad. I guess my lesser point is that ultimately it will somewhat even out since there are same # of starting spots and reps. But stlrb is correct .. immediate PT will hurt FCS moreso ... my even-ing out theory wont be anywhere near 1 for 1 nor as immediate as the increase in # of studs we lose.

So walking my post halfway back.

might arguably get more 3 star guys, if they want to play sooner and can always transfer and play if they do well.

Bird Friend

Staff member
So--in basketball terms--the new 1-and-done-here is a 4-star wanting to play this year and not sit a year behind the 5-star at UNC . . .

Could be fun.

Top Bottom