Sy Chatman - MVC Player of the Week

CB2K

Sy Chatman has been recognized for his outstanding play last week. Sy has been a pleasant surprise this year and is a beast and contributor down low. He is more of a power 4 but is doing nicely playing with his back to the basket and able to hit the 10 footer and his free throws. There is a lot to like about Sy including his dogged determination and ability to mix it up which we didn't see last year in his shortened season.

Sy doesn't back down from anyone and if you watch he is always in the mix of things with a little trash talking and pushing and shoving. He gets hacked more than the refs notice. One day he is going to hit one of those three-point attempts if coach lets him continue to launch it up.

Congrats Sy on a great week and start to the season!

Sy Chatman Named MVC Player of the Week - Illinois State University Athletics

Adunk33

Staff member
Sy reminds me of a less physical Jackie Carmichael. If he can consistently hit that 15 footer, like Jackie developed, his quickness is going cause headaches for the "true 5''s" defending him. If guys like Prim or Broadie have to come out that far to guard him, he should be able to use a pump fake and use his quickness to get to the bucket for a lay up or he'll get to the line. I don't think Sy has hit is ceiling yet.

I mentioned a handful of times since Sy committed that the biggest thing in the way of his success is himself. He's really gotten out of his own way, put egos aside and has matured. I'm excited to see continued growth from him.

BirdGrad2011

Sy reminds me of a less physical Jackie Carmichael. If he can consistently hit that 15 footer, like Jackie developed, his quickness is going cause headaches for the "true 5''s" defending him. If guys like Prim or Broadie have to come out that far to guard him, he should be able to use a pump fake and use his quickness to get to the bucket for a lay up or he'll get to the line. I don't think Sy has hit is ceiling yet.

I mentioned a handful of times since Sy committed that the biggest thing in the way of his success is himself. He's really gotten out of his own way, put egos aside and has matured. I'm excited to see continued growth from him.
His midrange jump shot isn’t bad. He doesn’t go to it often. Wish he’d cut out the 3 and focus on extending into the midrange.

Top Bottom