Starters/Rotation

Michigan Red

I gotta believe this years' squad is picked in the 9-10 neighborhood in the different preseason Valley projections. Deservedly so, hopefully they can surprise and get back to some respectability.
If I recall, DM said recently that the inability to play defense was the main problem last year. I believe he goes defense first and hopes they can find enough scoring to be in games and win more than not. IMO, turnovers and free throw shooting would be problems 2 and 3 to address yesterday. Next up would be the ability to maintain a lead via good defense, good shot selection and not turning the ball over.

Valley Games: Ranked last in scoring defense and Assist/TO ratio and second to last in FT shooting.

Might look something like this, but who knows.

PG: Freeman/Fleming
2G: Reeves/Strong
SF: Lewis/Washington
Stretch 4: Chatman/McChesney/Sissoko/Kotov

Nothing against any of the new additions, but I thought we needed another 2G, but what do I know. Need to be able to play man defense without fouling as often and the perimeter guys need to be able to keep their guy in front of them.

Low expectations this year, measurable improvement vs. last year would be a start. I know, having that expectation in year 10, is not where you want to be. As many have said, that may not be enough to improve in the standings, as 1-4 in the Valley this year looks to be solid.

DoubleDeuce

That looks about right for what we've been hearing. I guess I could see a three guard lineup as well.

Redbirdfan76

I would like to see Fleming and Washington as starters and Freeman & Lewis in the second group. Reeves, Sissiko and Schmitt rounding out the first unit. Chatman, Ndiaye and Strong as other second unit players. Hope Andrews also gets in the mix somewhere. Adunk, what are you hearing?

BirdGrad2011

My gut instinct is this:

G: Freeman
G: Strong
G/F: Reeves
F: Lewis
C: Schmidt

Fleming and Washington first off the bench. Ndiaye and Chatman complete the 9 man rotation. Andrews will get minutes too. No idea what to think about McChesney, Sissoko, and Kotov.

Redbird Alum 2004

My gut instinct is this:

G: Freeman
G: Strong
G/F: Reeves
F: Lewis
C: Schmidt

Fleming and Washington first off the bench. Ndiaye and Chatman complete the 9 man rotation. Andrews will get minutes too. No idea what to think about McChesney, Sissoko, and Kotov.
I would say this is close but it could very easily be Chatham over Schmidt or I think more likely Chatman over Lewis. I think Fleming, Washington, Lewis and Abdou form the bench gang. A lot of this depends on the bigs and how committed they are, cough Chatman cough. Freeman is gonna start. He was second team Ohio valley for a reason as a soph. Kid can guard, drive the hole and make his free throws. We shall see though. These practices are going to be competitive this year.

MadBird

Not that he's my "favorite" player or anything, but I wouldn't discount Sissoko. He and Reeves were the only guys to play in every game last year. He started half the games. Now, I agree the competition for PT is stronger this year, but if IF he comes along as he should, Sissoko should be a contributor.

TIMMY

Not that he's my "favorite" player or anything, but I wouldn't discount Sissoko. He and Reeves were the only guys to play in every game last year. He started half the games. Now, I agree the competition for PT is stronger this year, but if IF he comes along as he should, Sissoko should be a contributor.
I hope you're right about Sissoko. I would love to see a lineup with Lewis at the "3". I think the longer they are the better. If Reeves has bought into playing defense he and Freeman should be able to put good pressure on the ball. I would like to see Flemming win the 6th man of the year award. I think that fits his skill set.

BirdGrad2011

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong, but IMO Sissoko only got as many minutes as he did was purely out of need. Fisher and Chatman bailed so he only had to beat out Kotov.

MadBird

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong, but IMO Sissoko only got as many minutes as he did was purely out of need. Fisher and Chatman bailed so he only had to beat out Kotov.
All true - but I said IF he "comes along as he should" he should be a contributor. Not the leading scorer or anything, but a contributor. I mean, we prolly believed Chatman would be one last year, and how'd that work out? So we'll see what we get. Fisher averaged 9.6 pts and 6 rebs. in 19-20. Sissoko gave us 4.2 and 3 last year. So, a couple more putbacks and a couple defensive rebounds per game and Sissoko is giving us what Fisher did.

Adunk33

I would like to see Fleming and Washington as starters and Freeman & Lewis in the second group. Reeves, Sissiko and Schmitt rounding out the first unit. Chatman, Ndiaye and Strong as other second unit players. Hope Andrews also gets in the mix somewhere. Adunk, what are you hearing?
Personally, I really like Washington and Fleming and feel they'll be really good players as they continue to develop. Once the game slows down for Howard, he will be one of the top point guards in this league. Does he make the jump this year? I'd guess he needs another year. Washington really seems to be the versatile glue guy already that can be really explosive. He showed it several times during games last year.

Looking at Freeman...the kid averaged 17 ppg last year as a true freshman and did it pretty efficiently (40% from the field, 82% from the FT line). I have a hard time believe he decided to transfer to a school that is admittedly struggling to be a back up. We haven't heard much from coach this offseason but the little that we have is that he says Lewis and Freeman have are elite defenders. Muller's been pretty consistent is that playing defense is how you get in the line up so I have to think that plays a role.

Looking at the roster as a whole, at least on paper, they've got a lot of dudes who can play multiple positions. Schmitt and Andrews are true 5's. Fleming is more of a 1, but anyone else on the team can and will play multiple positions. I think if they had a summer trip and played a game tomorrow, the starters would be:
Freeman
Strong
Reeves
Chatman
Schmitt

Next group: Washington, Fleming, Lewis, Abdou, Sissoko
Nexter group: McChesney, Andrews, Kotov

I really haven't heard or seen much from McChesney. IMO, he's one of the more interesting additions to the team. The fact that he was the No.1 player in Canada his senior year holds some weight since they've been producing some ballers up there over the last decade or so.

CaliRdBrd

Personally, I really like Washington and Fleming and feel they'll be really good players as they continue to develop. Once the game slows down for Howard, he will be one of the top point guards in this league. Does he make the jump this year? I'd guess he needs another year. Washington really seems to be the versatile glue guy already that can be really explosive. He showed it several times during games last year.

Looking at Freeman...the kid averaged 17 ppg last year as a true freshman and did it pretty efficiently (40% from the field, 82% from the FT line). I have a hard time believe he decided to transfer to a school that is admittedly struggling to be a back up. We haven't heard much from coach this offseason but the little that we have is that he says Lewis and Freeman have are elite defenders. Muller's been pretty consistent is that playing defense is how you get in the line up so I have to think that plays a role.

Looking at the roster as a whole, at least on paper, they've got a lot of dudes who can play multiple positions. Schmitt and Andrews are true 5's. Fleming is more of a 1, but anyone else on the team can and will play multiple positions. I think if they had a summer trip and played a game tomorrow, the starters would be:
Freeman
Strong
Reeves
Chatman
Schmitt

I really haven't heard or seen much from McChesney. IMO, he's one of the more interesting additions to the team. The fact that he was the No.1 player in Canada his senior year holds some weight since they've been producing some ballers up there over the last decade or so.
#1 player in all of Canada and he came to ISU? Either they have only ten kids playing basketball or this is Mullers’ best recruit ever. Smells more like Kaza to me though…

Dmills

Freeman
Strong
Reeves
Chatman
Schmitt

Pretty good analysis. I think it is still very hard to predict what will happen this season with Chatman. I believe the 4 spot is a toss up between Chatman, Lewis, Ndiaye, and Sissoko. I am leaning towards Lewis personally. Otherwise I agree completely

MadBird

#1 player in all of Canada and he came to ISU? Either they have only ten kids playing basketball or this is Mullers’ best recruit ever. Smells more like Kaza to me though…
Yeah well then there's Mikyle McIntosh too from Canada, and he came to ISU. So we'll wait and see what we get. Some of us will wait and see, others will crap all over him before they've seen him.

TIMMY

Yeah well then there's Mikyle McIntosh too from Canada, and he came to ISU. So we'll wait and see what we get. Some of us will wait and see, others will crap all over him before they've seen him.
I'm not going to crap on him or any student-athlete but I will crap on the sad-sack Utah State strength and conditioning staff. The kid weighs 185 lbs after two years there?;)

Last edited:

Adunk33

Pretty good analysis. I think it is still very hard to predict what will happen this season with Chatman. I believe the 4 spot is a toss up between Chatman, Lewis, Ndiaye, and Sissoko. I am leaning towards Lewis personally. Otherwise I agree completely
From what I've seen Sy's biggest competition for playing time is himself. If he get out of his own way, Lewis will likely get the nod due to his defensive abilities.

CaliRdBrd

McIntosh was not the #1 ranked player in all of Canada though.

Redbird Alum 2004

McIntosh was not the #1 ranked player in all of Canada though.
How bout just wait and see on the kid? He was the number 1 in Canada then went to Utah State. He was injured last season then transferred here. Here is a snippet from this goredbirds article.

The Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada, native spent two seasons at Utah State, the first as a redshirt freshman, and he played in three games in 2020-21 before suffering a season-ending leg injury.

A three-star recruit out of high school by 247 Sports, he was the top high school college prospect in Canada as a senior, the 31st best power forward in his class, and 178th best overall prospect in his high school class.

CaliRdBrd

How bout just wait and see on the kid? He was the number 1 in Canada then went to Utah State. He was injured last season then transferred here. Here is a snippet from this goredbirds article.

The Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada, native spent two seasons at Utah State, the first as a redshirt freshman, and he played in three games in 2020-21 before suffering a season-ending leg injury.

A three-star recruit out of high school by 247 Sports, he was the top high school college prospect in Canada as a senior, the 31st best power forward in his class, and 178th best overall prospect in his high school class.
I have no problem “waiting and seeing”. Just seemed odd that the #1 high school player in all of Canada wound up here. Not an everyday occurrence.
Jesus, this board is so f’ing sensitive.

Bird Friend

Staff member
I have no problem “waiting and seeing”. Just seemed odd that the #1 high school player in all of Canada wound up here. Not an everyday occurrence.
Jesus, this board is so f’ing sensitive.
Why are you telling Jesus this board is so sensitive?

Top Bottom