Spring 2021

Virginia Redbird

Well, over the past few weeks I watched the Bears be taken apart by the Packers (again) and thumped yesterday by the Saints. I watched Notre Dame be gutted by both Clemson and Alabama. I also watched a few Illinois games in Lovie's goodbye tour (why I don't know). After those self-imposed masochistic experiences watching the Redbirds, this spring has got to be more fun! With all the Redbird players that have left, I don't believe any of us know what we will be looking at when the teams take the field in February but it has to be more enjoyable...it just has to be! Just a little over a month to go now!
Go Redbirds!

Virginia Redbird

8 games now down to 7. At least it was an away game for the Birds. I wonder who else, if any school, will drop out as well. Playing a spring and full fall season will be extremely hard for the players. The only thing I would say is it is kind of late in the game for this decision. ISU B could have made that call a long time ago.

MadBird

This article about SIU's spring schedule says they will have an attendance limit of about 16% of capacity for their spring home schedule. Not sure if Redbirds would be under the same limits? Anyone heard anything or seen anything? Have I missed it? This mentions the county health department so not sure if it would or could vary by county? or region or ??? 16% at Hancock would be about 2100? Could this accommodate all parents and season ticket holders? We must have more season ticket holders than 2000, yes? Full of questions today :)

Optimism high as SIU prepares for conference-only spring FCS season | Prairie State Pigskin (chicagonow.com)

The Salukis open their home season the following Saturday by hosting defending FCS national champion North Dakota State. Seating capacity for the SIU four spring games will be limited to approximately 16 percent, based upon a plan approved by the campus Emergency Operations Center and with guidance from the state of Illinois and Jackson County Health Department.

ISUBU

Phase 4 "As of release, outdoor spectator sports venues may operate at maximum of 20% of seating capacity for spectators. Capacity restrictions will be reassessed based on the latest science and public health metrics on an ongoing basis throughout Phase IV"

4% at Saluki Stadium is around 600 people. That seems to be a reasonable number to cover the the two teams, event staff and media, and players parents.

That leaves 16% for sale to the public.

I have NO IDEA if that is what SIU is thinking - I'm just making stuff up. But isn't that what we do here?

Make single game tickets available to season ticket holder first, and then to the public. Not all season ticket holders will want them - I imagine we have some snowbirds who won't even be back yet.

CaliRdBrd

Interesting read...

Timing of this re-shuffle of FCS schedules actually seems like a good thing. On a side note, I had no idea some teams were opting out.

Virginia Redbird

I just checked the schedule on the MVFC website. A few of the games that will be broadcast by ESPN3 or ESPN+ are beginning to be filled in. As of now the ISU games that are scheduled to be broadcast on either ESPN channels are Missouri State, North Dakota State, and Southern Illinois. Hopefully, a few more games will be added. Here is the link to the MVFC schedule website.

For now, the opening day for the Redbirds at MSU is scheduled to be broadcast on February 20th at 1:00 pm. It did not state but I assume that is Central Time.

Virginia Redbird

On the Valley web page with the football schedule, they are showing all the Redbird games being broadcast on one of the ESPN channels. Maybe the ESPN website will update soon. I am hoping I can tune in to all the games. We will have to wait and see.

Top Bottom