Signing Day 11-14-18

DannyCooksey

Besides Horne does anyone think we sign anyone else? Seems quiet on the recruiting trail.

Jsnhbe1Birds

PAYTON!!!!

He said he wants to have the process done by the end of the signing period on 11/21 but I'm with ADunk in thinking it has probably moved until the spring signing period at this point. Wherever he ends up I think it'll be a mid-major.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Also, hoping for another big man to backup Idowu next season because I don't thin Bruninga or N'Diyae are goo backups at the 5. They are more 4's. They can fill in a bit but I wouldn't count on them to be primary backup because if Idowu goes down no way I want Bruninga or N'Diyae starting at the 5 for any period of time.

Adunk33

Staff member
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Also, hoping for another big man to backup Idowu next season because I don't thin Bruninga or N'Diyae are goo backups at the 5. They are more 4's. They can fill in a bit but I wouldn't count on them to be primary backup because if Idowu goes down no way I want Bruninga or N'Diyae starting at the 5 for any period of time.

Muller has rarely had the "traditional 5" in his time here. Rey is the first in a long time. Muller seems to like long guys who can run the floor. Positions are becoming more fluid. Like most 1's are also 2's and in some cases 3's. Most 2's are 1's and 3's, most 3's can be all 5 positions, most 4's can be 3's or 5's, and most fives can be 4's and maybe even 3's. Taylor is more of the Hawkins-like stretch 4 than a 5. Hawkins played the 5 a decent amount during that 16-17 season. Abdou is a guy who can play close to all 5 positions. I wouldn't want him guarding the other team's one but his ball skills seem to indicate he could bring the ball up the court and start the offense if needed. We haven't had a player that versatile in my memory.

I agree we do need to go with size for some of these scholarships. We have 3 available. Depending on the season, it is possible Chastain gets one and then we look to bring in a JuCo PG and a Rey-like big, as you suggested. However, we do not have a current open offer to a player of that nature. Payton is 6'7 and is recruited as a wing, though he needs to shoot it better. We have seven offers out to 1 pg, 4 sg, and 2 sf.

RedbirdSoxFan

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Keith Fisher doesn’t play the 5?

Jsnhbe1Birds

Yes, he does but again, I wouldn't want him playing it for any period of time if Rey goes down. He's more of a 4, as well. Bruninga, Fisher, and N'Diyae can all fill in for a bit but they really need a backup for Rey. N'Diyae does not have enough mass to play much there.

Jsnhbe1Birds

I also think he will be starting next year but not at the 5. rey will.

5. Idowu
4. N'Diyae
3. Fisher
2. Copeland
1. Jefferson

Adunk33

Staff member
Fisher is not a 3. That would be like saying Phil is a 3.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Adunk33 said:

I know hes not a 3 but its either that and go big or go smaller and have either N'Diyae or Fisher come off the bench come off the bench. Then I think who would be next. Bruninga or Chastain at the 3? I don't like that. Boyd will probably get it. I guess I'd rather just go big. Remember this is just my opinion and guess. Most likely Dan goes smaller because he likes guard play.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Adunk33 said:

I know hes not a 3 but its either that and go big or go smaller and have either N'Diyae or Fisher come off the bench come off the bench. Then I think who would be next. Bruninga or Chastain at the 3? I don't like that. Boyd will probably get it. I guess I'd rather just go big. Remember this is just my opinion and guess. Most likely Dan goes smaller because he likes guard play.

ekeyfanclub

I think the good thing is that even after losing 4 seniors this year, there is plenty of talent next year to be still near the top of the Valley.

ChiRedbirdfan

RedbirdSoxFan said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Keith Fisher doesn’t play the 5?
Do yourself a favor RedbirdSox and don't engage a clown in a debate unless you want to end up in a circus.

Top Bottom