Selection Committee discarded NET as much as RPI

ISU86

One tournament bracket selection into the NET (developed by Google Cloud Professional Services based on recommendations from the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee, the National Association of Basketball Coaches and top basketball analytics experts) and it appears the 2019 committee trusted it as much as the previously leveraged RPI in that there are plenty of schools victimized by selective "leap-frogging".

here are some interesting tidbits (schools with * by their name indicate losing conference record)

at-large schools with losing conference records:
37.) Oklahoma *
55.) Ohio State *
61.) Minnesota *
73.) Saint John's *

schools with better NET than lowest at-large (Saint John's, 73):
33.) North Carolina State
35.) Clemson
38.) Texas *
41.) Furman
46.) Memphis
48.) Nebraska *
49.) Lipscomb
50.) Penn State *
52.) Texas Christian *
53.) Creighton
54.) Indiana *
59.) Alabama *
60.) North Carolina-Greensboro
62.) Toledo
64.) Butler
65.) Arkansas *
66.) Colorado
67.) Xavier
69.) Dayton
70.) Providence *
72.) East Tennessee State

assuming NET was leveraged exclusively (with exception of excluding losing conference record schools):

schools added
33.) North Carolina State
35.) Clemson
41.) Furman
46.) Memphis
49.) Lipscomb
53.) Creighton

schools removed
57.) Seton Hall
63.) Arizona State
37.) Oklahoma *
55.) Ohio State *
61.) Minnesota *
73.) Saint John's *

lowest at-large would then be:
56.) Temple

to semi-quote (any) Selection Committee (using a lyric from Jefferson Starship's "Stairway to Cleveland")): "f**k you; we do what we want".

To me, this is more of an inclusive representative field I could live it coming out of Selection Sunday.

NOTE: I wish I could find the person who said, when responding to Jay Bilas' statement that it is unfair to penalize a school playing in a strong conference and ending up with a losing conference, "yes it is; they chose their conference and were aware of the potential rewards and risks when they joined."

Top Bottom