Saying goodbye!

RedbirdSoxFan

I know this is 50% off topic, but was just telling my wife how tough the last few months have been as a Redbird fan, and a White Sox fan. Pretty much all of the Redbird players from the past four seasons, and most of the White Sox players from the last four seasons are all now gone. I will need a Redbird program & a White Sox program to know who 90% of the players are. But the good news is the future for both teams is looking bright.

bombay

The White Sox should compete for pennants in 2-3 seasons. They've really loaded up on young talent.

So have the Redbirds.

MPE773

As a White Sox fan, this is the most interested I have been in this team for a long time!

Tpguy

The White Sox have replaced Minor League players with Minor League players, good luck :lol:

RedbirdSoxFan

Tpguy said:
The White Sox have replaced Minor League players with Minor League players, good luck :lol:

Yeah, but these minor league players are good.

DannyCooksey

Hahn has made some great moves and he's not done. I am a big fan of his.

However, as a huge Sox fan friend of mine pointed out to me yesterday, unless the Sox change their minor league infrastructure, these moves won't matter because the Sox minor league coaches can't develop talent. Getz, Bell, etc.

My buddy was also concerned that the Sox have screwed the pooch on recent high draft picks. None of the last 3 first round picks have done anything thus far.

the Sox are clearly tanking and they should. But if you don't hit on the high draft picks it really doesn't matter.

we don't know about Burger yet. But Fullmer and Collins are struggling and that's being nice. It is incumbent upon the Sox player development team to get these kids to be the players people think they can be. time will tell but my buddy is right. the track record sucks to this point.

MPE773

Tpguy said:

This strategy worked for the Cubs!

DannyCooksey

MPE773 said:
Tpguy said:

This strategy worked for the Cubs!
True. But that was supplemented with excellent drafting

2011-Baez
2012-Almora
2013--KB
2014--Schwarber
2015---Happ

that's some serious draft damage. I love getting the prospects the Sox have traded for. but if you don't hit on your own picks..........

MPE773

DannyCooksey said:

However, as a huge Sox fan friend of mine pointed out to me yesterday, unless the Sox change their minor league infrastructure, these moves won't matter because the Sox minor league coaches can't develop talent. Getz, Bell, etc.

My buddy was also concerned that the Sox have screwed the pooch on recent high draft picks. None of the last 3 first round picks have done anything thus far.

the Sox are clearly tanking and they should. But if you don't hit on the high draft picks it really doesn't matter.

we don't know about Burger yet. But Fullmer and Collins are struggling and that's being nice. It is incumbent upon the Sox player development team to get these kids to be the players people think they can be. time will tell but my buddy is right. the track record sucks to this point.

Position player development has been bad, but pitching development has been great. Many of these top prospects are pitchers. Also, Kenny Williams was in charge of the draft when they took guys like Courtney Hawkins and Jared Mitchell. He was obsessed with 5 tool potential guys and overvalued it. Hahn has had a completely different approach and you can see that first hand with the Burger and Collins picks. There is also a new Director of Ametuer Scouting in Nick Hostetler. Chris Getz is one year into his job so I don't see how he is to blame either.

Who knows if these guys will pan out but it's not the same organization that failed for so many years. Hahn, Hostetler and Getz deserve a fair shot and I love what I'm seeing so far.

BirdGrad2011

Prospects are just prospects until they produce. Cubs got so lucky in having virtually every move hit. Can Sox get some luck and really develop these guys? Will be fun to watch either way.

ISU FAN 1

White Sox have made good moves on paper. But, a lot of top prospects end up being busts. Remember Ty Griffin? Being a top 100 ranked minor league prospect is no guarantee for future success. The White Sox will be doing well if 50% of their top prospects pan out. Time will tell how that impacts their future. Their model is really different than the Cubs, who loaded the farm system with all hitters, and traded for or bought most of their pitching. Lots of young arms never make it to the majors. And the Sox don't have any sure things, like Bryant or Rizzo, that I am aware of. The strategy was appropriate for the White Sox. I like what they have done. But the tactical execution phase is just beginning. Timing is everything on these rebuilds, and starting the clock on contractual control is crucial. Will that map to player development in a timeline conducive to success? Luck will play a major role moving forward.

Speaking of busts ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVEIotzy3_A

Redbirdfan21

(From a Cubs fan perspective) The sox have 10(!!!!!!) of the top 100 prospects in baseball. If have of them bust, they should still have 5 all-star/boarderline all-star players in the next few years. That impressive. I can't speak to the player development side. If they struggle with that, it may not matter. Along with nailing the draft, Theo and crew are known for hiring excellent player development staff.

BTbird

White Sox are in good shape for the future but it could take some years. I'm also happy as a Cubs fan with the trade. two organizations that are at different points.

RedbirdSoxFan

ISU FAN 1 said:
White Sox have made good moves on paper. But, a lot of top prospects end up being busts. Remember Ty Griffin? Being a top 100 ranked minor league prospect is no guarantee for future success. The White Sox will be doing well if 50% of their top prospects pan out. Time will tell how that impacts their future. Their model is really different than the Cubs, who loaded the farm system with all hitters, and traded for or bought most of their pitching. Lots of young arms never make it to the majors. And the Sox don't have any sure things, like Bryant or Rizzo, that I am aware of. The strategy was appropriate for the White Sox. I like what they have done. But the tactical execution phase is just beginning. Timing is everything on these rebuilds, and starting the clock on contractual control is crucial. Will that map to player development in a timeline conducive to success? Luck will play a major role moving forward.

Speaking of busts ....

Don't recall Bryant or Rizzo being any more can't miss than Moncada & Jimenez, or Michael Kopech when they were in the minors. Also, Bryant and Rizzo are not Trout, Harper, Judge, Bellinger, and a long list of other major leaguers.

MPE773

RedbirdSoxFan said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

Speaking of busts ....

Don't recall Bryant or Rizzo being any more can't miss than Moncada & Jimenez, or Michael Kopech when they were in the minors. Also, Bryant and Rizzo are not Trout, Harper, Judge, Bellinger, and a long list of other major leaguers.

Ummmm, Kris Bryant was the Rookie of the Year in 2015 and NL MVP in 2016. I honestly have NO idea what you are talking about here.

ISU FAN 1

MPE773 said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

Speaking of busts ....

Ummmm, Kris Bryant was the Rookie of the Year in 2015 and NL MVP in 2016. I honestly have NO idea what you are talking about here.

I was about to make the same point.

And actually, Bryant and Rizzo only take up about 4.5% of the Cubs payroll. Less combined than the percent that Harper and Trout consume. That's kind of my point about timing and contractual control years. It's not necessarily about Trout being better than Bryant. It's about the value statistically of Bryant compared to Trout relative to the overall team salary they consume. Obviously, Judge and Bellinger are killing that metric as well.

I'm glad you mentioned Moncada & Jimenez, or Michael Kopech as sure things. I hadn't heard that mentioned, but will find it interesting to watch it play out. Hope the Cubs/Sox deal works out well for both.

Manchester Matt

DannyCooksey said:

Collins is "struggling", but is still reaching base at a .366 clip with decent pop. And his defense, which was considered a weakness, has been stellar.

I'm not too worried about him.

RedbirdSoxFan

ISU FAN 1 said:

Speaking of busts ....

And the Sox don't have any sure thing. like Bryant or Rizzo. This is the statement that I am referring to. You are assuming that neither Yoan Moncado, or Eloy Jimenez, or, Luis Robert, or Blake Rutherford are going to be as good as Bryant or Rizzo. Were Bryant or Rizzo sure things coming out of the minor leagues? So to make a statement that none of the White Sox Prospects are going to be like Bryant or Rizzo is purely an assumption on your part. Will one of these prospects win Rookie of the year? Neither you or I know. Did you know that Bryant was going to win rookie of the year when he was in AAA ball? I don't think so. Your statements are purely speculation on your part. Only time will tell how Moncado, Jimenez, Robert, Rutherford, or Kopech will do in the major leagues. But I like their chances, just as much as you liked the chances of Baez, Almora, Bryant, Schwarber, and Happ's coming up as prospects (Would be curious to see what there MLB Prospect rankings were when they were called up)

MPE773

There is a reason the Sox are stacking as many top 100 prospects as possible, they know they are not all going to achieve their potential. It's strength in numbers. 10 of the top 100 is ridiculous. I like their chances.

SgtHulka

ISU FAN 1 said:

Speaking of busts ....

Wondering, how many times can we get the Some Kind of Bust video in quotes

Top Bottom