Righting the ship

Redbird Alum 2004

As we draw near to conference play we are in the realization that the only way to the tournament is winning in St Louis. Can Muller right the ship? I believe so. I think Evans and Tinsley find their strokes and the offense finally clicks. If those two can do that the pressure comes off the rest. It will free up driving lanes. Most importantly it will allow the defense to get back and set up. How will Redbird fans feel about this session after that non conference disaster if we go on a run and make the tourney? The talent is there.

SgtHulka

Can we? Yes
Will we? This year is more uncertain than any other under Muller. Most talented and most frustrating. Well.see where there heads are on the 2nd.

Redbird222

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
As we draw near to conference play we are in the realization that the only way to the tournament is winning in St Louis. Can Muller right the ship? I believe so. I think Evans and Tinsley find their strokes and the offense finally clicks. If those two can do that the pressure comes off the rest. It will free up driving lanes. Most importantly it will allow the defense to get back and set up. How will Redbird fans feel about this session after that non conference disaster if we go on a run and make the tourney? The talent is there.
We need 2 of 3 between Jefferson, Evans, and Tinsley. We need the third to be respectable along with Copeland and MY. I do agree that the lanes will open up, pressure on others will be alleviated, and the transition defense will be positively impacted.

I think some other keys which are doable

1. Better defensive rebounding which is controllable. Its a mindset ... find a body and not just follow the ball or stare at a rim
2. Better defense on inbounds plays ... very doable

Other keys which are harder
1. Stop the big runs or scoring droughts. This takes grit, discipline and is a mindset. When your offense disappears in a game you need to lock down your defense. You need to be discipline in your shot attempts.
2. Become a better road team by getting off to competitive starts. We seriously have had some really poor performances on the road the past two years. The birds need to compete from the start and then generally they seem to be ok down the stretch. We have won lots of close and OT games so we can play under pressure. The poor and inconsistent starts on the road has killed us.

Birdman07

Redbird222 said:
Redbird Alum 2004 said:
We need 2 of 3 between Jefferson, Evans, and Tinsley. We need the third to be respectable along with Copeland and MY. I do agree that the lanes will open up, pressure on others will be alleviated, and the transition defense will be positively impacted.

1. Better defensive rebounding which is controllable. Its a mindset ... find a body and not just follow the ball or stare at a rim

1. Stop the big runs or scoring droughts. This takes grit, discipline and is a mindset. When your offense disappears in a game you need to lock down your defense. You need to be discipline in your shot attempts.
2. Become a better road team by getting off to competitive starts. We seriously have had some really poor performances on the road the past two years. The birds need to compete from the start and then generally they seem to be ok down the stretch. We have won lots of close and OT games so we can play under pressure. The poor and inconsistent starts on the road has killed us.

That's A LOT of IF's

Redbird Alum 2004

Redbird222 said:
Redbird Alum 2004 said:

Couldn't agree more.

The Beak

Redbird Alum 2004 said:

I love the optimism, but unlike past years, something is broke this year that's more than a slow start ... and I'm not sure is repairable. Don't know if players just tuned out coach, are disinterested, or aren't willing to learn from mistakes. Or something else. Didn't help to have so many injuries at one time either.

I'm still cheering, but unless this team did a 180 over Christmas break, I'm guessing it's going to be a bumpy MVC ride.

CaliRdBrd

SgtHulka said:
Can we? Yes
Will we? This year is more uncertain than any other under Muller. Most talented and most frustrating. Well.see where there heads are on the 2nd.
I guess that’s one of my issues...who said this team is so talented? Of course the coach is going to pump up the potential but I never saw anything that made me think we were anything other than a 21-12 type of team. Right now, even 21-12 is a reach...

ChiRedbirdfan

CaliRdBrd said:
SgtHulka said:
Can we? Yes
I guess that’s one of my issues...who said this team is so talented? Of course the coach is going to pump up the potential but I never saw anything that made me think we were anything other than a 21-12 type of team. Right now, even 21-12 is a reach...

I agree that the this team has been misdiagnosed as a very talented and deep team. Pockets and pieces of talent exist but overall this team is short on talent and the team has a very thin bench too. It seems a bit of a stretch that this team can become NCAA or NIT worthy with the current available players. It is good that we have a weak remaining schedule (MVC) but it is hard for me to see ISU being favored to beat anyone on the road. ISU will win a couple of road games but may also give away a couple of wins at home too.

IHateWSU

We will find out right away if we have a chance to compete for a top 3 or 4 seed. We play three Thursday night teams to open up conference play. Playing on the road at Valpo should be a win, but nothing with this group on the road (look at last year also) is a guarantee. If we can win at Valpo (something we could not do last year), then we come home for Evansville and UNI. A 3-0 conference start might get a little confidence in this group, and that is what we are lacking right now.

bombay

Brad Underwood's buyout is over $12.5 million.

He lost at home to FAU today.

4-9 is their worst start in 45 years - the year after Nick & Nicky left.

ChiRedbirdfan

Watching WKY vs Badgers and envious of WKY B-BALL especially their stadium energy. ISU needs to really evaluate all facets of athletics and get a plan on how to become relevant again. It can happen but changes have to be made and I am not just talking personel changes to right the ship long term.

bombay

If it were up to me, I'd pay big bucks for Rick Stansbury. Top whatever WKU pays. I wouldn't care a whit about probation, either.

Although the 5* he recruited last year didn't play a minute for the Hilltoppers. Starting for the Knicks as a rookie, though.

HT59

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Watching WKY vs Badgers and envious of WKY B-BALL especially their stadium energy. ISU needs to really evaluate all facets of athletics and get a plan on how to become relevant again. It can happen but changes have to be made and I am not just talking not personel changes to right the ship long term.

:text-+1:

Racine Bird 3813

It pains me to write this but look at the direction Bradley is heading in year 4 under Wardle and look at our direction in year 7 under Dan. EVERY year has seems like a damn ? under Dan. I never know what to expect from year to year and game to game. That type if inconsistency is not good. With that said, I think Dan cares deeply about ISU and I hope they can get it done. I think Dan has worked hard and deserves to get over the hump!

First place to start is defense. With as medicore as the MVC is this year if they can defend, rebound, take care of the ball, and just be subpar on offense they can win the league.

ChiRedbirdfan

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Watching WKY vs Badgers and envious of WKY B-BALL especially their stadium energy. ISU needs to really evaluate all facets of athletics and get a plan on how to become relevant again. It can happen but changes have to be made and I am not just talking personel changes to right the ship long term.

SgtHulka

Racine Bird 3813 said:
It pains me to write this but look at the direction Bradley is heading in year 4 under Wardle and look at our direction in year 7 under Dan. EVERY year has seems like a damn ? under Dan. I never know what to expect from year to year and game to game. That type if inconsistency is not good. With that said, I think Dan cares deeply about ISU and I hope they can get it done. I think Dan has worked hard and deserves to get over the hump!

First place to start is defense. With as medicore as the MVC is this year if they can defend, rebound, take care of the ball, and just be subpar on offense they can win the league.

Well for starters Muller inherited a program from a coach who had us in the top 3 in conference most years and in the tournament championship running most years and... He's pretty much maintained that spot. The needle only needed to move a little under him, and to be fair we did tie for.first a.couple years ago. Just can't get over that NCAA hump

Badley had been a play in program for a.decade, he wiped out the entire roster and took his.lumps in the first couple of years. Upward needle movement from that is really no accomplishment. But how far has the needle.moved so far? 5th place last year. This year is still TBD.

DoubleDeuce

ChiRedbirdfan said:

Let's start by sabotaging the college team with the largest fanbase in blono... the Illini. Oh wait... they already tanked themselves and so far no visible improvement in Redbird enthusiasm.

Top Bottom