Redbirds looking to sign with NFL

Total Red

Staff member
I'd say Drew Himmelman remains the Redbird most likely to make it in the NFL although I am not as high on him as I once was. After the 2019 season I was very high on Himmelman because he was a guy with a high ceiling that was getting steadily better and better. I think he finally hit a plateau this winter/spring. Coach Lathrop and the strength and conditioning staff did a fantastic job of helping him go from a 230lb. TE/basketball player into a 320 lb. Offensive tackle. I think he's realized most of that potential now and he's an outstanding tackle but it may only take him as far as journeyman NFL status.

The NFL may not have the same respect for the strength/conditioning/nutrition program here at ISU that I do. The NFL probably thinks FCS strength and conditioning programs consist of pilates class every other Tuesday. As insulting and inaccurate as that would be, it would actually be to Himmelman's advantage. If they don't think he's been in a 1st rate strength and conditioning program, they're going to assume that they can take his 6'9 frame and have ample opportunity to mold it for another leg up in his development.

Total Red

Staff member
Uphoff should have a chance with acceptable measurables (height, weight, speed, strength). As a safety, he also had good special team's skills and that could make the difference. He can return kicks and defend against them.

Dmills

Haven't seen anyone picked yet... but just wanted to throw it out there. With guys like Ridgeway and Woods leaving, I really hope they succeed, but I feel like guys have had better NFL success sticking out their careers at ISU. For example, I don't think guys like McKnight and Taylor raised their profile at all by going bigger this. To be fair, it was a weird season and Himmelman did not really improve his stock either, but Uphoff and even Davis have taken off just a little bit even though they both declared early. Like imagine if James transferred to a Big Ten or SEC after his junior year, unless he makes an all conference team he is really not improving his stock, but he ended up having an amazing rookie season. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I'm hoping Davis, Uphoff, McKnight, Taylor, and Himmelman all sign with a team, hopefully one of them can get drafted, but I'm willing to bet one of them will not sign as a UDFA (most likely either Davis or Taylor).

DannyCooksey

i am starting to give up on figuring out why some kids get drafted and others dont. i thought Uphoff was a certainty by the 6th round. i dont know wtf else he can do

topiarydan

I still think perhaps the "Oh you're playing FCS ball" has something to do with it in some scouts eyes. He was 6th or 7th round draft worthy
Perhaps they questioned his special teams ability?
Who knows?

TIMMY

The only thing I can think of with Christian is he's not exactly what I would be looking for in a single high safety. He can play cover 2 deep, in the box or on the slot. So that's good but if you're looking for a guy who can play free in the late rounds he might not have been your guy. The Packers have a crowd of DB's I Hope he makes it.

bombay

Drew go a $25 K signing bonus and a guaranteed $125 K for the season. But... starting RT Juwan James tore his achilles today, so there's a good chance he makes the active roster and makes whatever the NFL minimum is.

redbirdfan04

Drew go a $25 K signing bonus and a guaranteed $125 K for the season. But... starting RT Juwan James tore his achilles today, so there's a good chance he makes the active roster and makes whatever the NFL minimum is.
Bombay, do you happen to know if he has any bonuses for amount of games dressed or games started?

JHBird

If he's even holding a clipboard on the sidelines during a pre-season game that would impress me. Anybody who gets a tryout with a pro team has something to be proud of. Of course we are all pulling for him. He's a class act kind of guy.

Virginia Redbird

If he's even holding a clipboard on the sidelines during a pre-season game that would impress me. Anybody who gets a tryout with a pro team has something to be proud of. Of course we are all pulling for him. He's a class act kind of guy.
Totally agree. You have to be such a talented athlete just to be a 3rd string QB on a pro team. Same with the other positions. Best of luck to Brady.

Top Bottom